Ice Fishing Line…?

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I know we have a 2 page post going about what line is best for ice fishing, but I have a question.
    Is it just a marketing thing? I don’t know? I have always used the 100% florocarbon P-line for ice fishing same as some summer lines, but it seems lately a ton of hype for an “ice” line.

So…

What is the difference between an ice line and regular fishing line?

arklite881south

Cal while fishing over deeper water do you have any coiling or other issues? I just have had so many issues with lines OTHER than braids exploding on my reel or while ice fishing giving me a HUGE slinky action.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

For what it is worth… I also run 100% floro for ice fishing. No problems what so ever.

With that said – I don’t fish much over 25-30 feet either.

Two bits,
    Boogs

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I fish perch mainly in 60-75 feet of water and I like vanish in 2lb for that. Very little stretch and abraision resistant.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Cal while fishing over deeper water do you have any coiling or other issues? I just have had so many issues with lines OTHER than braids exploding on my reel or while ice fishing giving me a HUGE slinky action.

Deep water I fish is Mille Lacs like 30 feet or so, no coiling with the Pline.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The guys at Thorne Bros got my Brother and me hooked on P-Line a number of years ago and I have had no reason to switch. I have caught thousands of fish with no problems including a few walleyes and pike in the 5-7 lb. range on my 2 lb. test line panfish set ups. I don’t have any of my rods here, but if I remember it has almost no memory. With a 1/32 oz jig the line is tight and the slightest bites can be picked up with a spring bobber in 30 feet of water.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

“ice line” comes on a smaller spool and it’s blue.

skeeter griz

I just spoke to a P line rep in California and he assured me that Floroclear and Floroice lines are the same thing.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Quote:

I just spoke to a P line rep in California and he assured me that Floroclear and Floroice lines are the same thing.

If they are basically the same thing – just packaged differently… makes me wonder if there is a price difference. And if so, the logic behind that decision.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

If they are basically the same thing – just packaged differently… makes me wonder if there is a price difference. And if so, the logic behind that decision.

That’s pretty simple… Fishermen are suckers tell most fishermen they need product XY or Z for their specific application and they’ll buy it

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

Quote:

Profits

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Welcome to IDO Skeeter Griz.

Yes they are just a florocarbon coated fishing line where the actual true 100% florocarbon line is different and typically much more expensive.

Pline

arklite881south

So which one do you like to use Cal?? I’m going to order some and try it out.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

So which one do you like to use Cal?? I’m going to order some and try it out.

This yeare I am using 100% florocarbon Pline on Mille Lacs….clean clear water usually in 4lb test. Years past I have used the floroclear in the 3#, 4#, and even 5# style. Zero complaints about this line.
    Mille Lacs is getting clearer by the season so I though I would try to see this year if 100% florocarbon makes a difference.

arklite881south

Is it that strong Cal that you can drive a barb in a bigger walleye with 4lb test??

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Is it that strong Cal that you can drive a barb in a bigger walleye with 4lb test??

I have seen some of your hooksets….you might wanna go to 6#

I have yet to loose a good mille lacs walleye on 4# test. Until this season….

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

I have seen some of your hooksets….you might wanna go to 6#

I have yet to loose a good mille lacs walleye on 4# test. Until this season….

Good Call!! I’m going 6# or 5# if they make it. These aren’t baby Mille Lacs fish.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Probably not a whole lot. One big problem is that distributors don’t want to warehouse products anymore. The have the distributor shows in the fall and late winter so the stores can order their year’s worth of goods from manufacturers. The orders get handled thru the distributotrs so they get a cut then the products come from Maker to shop directly. The distributors are the ones who create the different seasons, but the fish live in a year round liquid environment and can’t tell the difference.

I always feel that the more “refined” line gets, the worse it is for problems.

Crystal or Vanish gets my nod during the colder months and then again in the summer. The Vanish will sink so if I intend to use a float at all during the summer I spool with XL on a few reels so I have an immediate option. It doesn’t matter thru the ice since you won’y have line laying on the water.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Calvin and Fife…are you guys using the standard p-line fluorocarbon or the floroclear? 2 pound? Bass Pro Shop only list 4/6/8/and so on. I am very interested in this due to deeper water fishing and the slinky effect with mono. Thanks.

Ted

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It is all good chatter guys. I must be the only one that has used P line and did not care for the stuff at all. Tom Donaldson has heard me cuss the stuff out more than once I’m not a believer in the more expensive the better. This is just my opinion!

arklite881south

Quote:

It is all good chatter guys. I must be the only one that has used P line and did not care for the stuff at all. Tom Donaldson has heard me cuss the stuff out more than once I’m not a believer in the more expensive the better. This is just my opinion!

Hey Bret,

What didn’t you like about it??

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Tom Donaldson has heard me cuss the stuff out more than once

Yeeup…. And I still believe it’s one of the best lines on the market. I’ve been using it for as long as I can recall.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Summer line 330 yards $12
    Winter line $5 100 yards
    You do the math, They make more money on the smaller spools.And call it Ice line.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Calvin and Fife…are you guys using the standard p-line fluorocarbon or the floroclear? 2 pound? Bass Pro Shop only list 4/6/8/and so on. I am very interested in this due to deeper water fishing and the slinky effect with mono. Thanks.

Ted

I believe they are the same line. The “floro-ice” just comes in smaller spools.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I use Vanish 2 & 4 lb set ups exclusively with my jigging rods on the ice.

Could not be happier with the overall performance of the fluoro in cold water. Excellent strength. Low visibility. No stretch. Repels water. Less than $6 for a 110yd spool.

The only problem I’ve ever had is line twist. Combination of running on a spinning reel and hooking into some good tugs. Set up a fly reel for this year with 4lb. Needless to say, cann’t wait to see how she performs after tangling with some river lunkers. C’mon ice!!!

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

The thing that I have noticed on lines is I have gotten my reels spooled by the guys at Thorne and I have saved money there.. Next I used 12# p line this summer on a loomis glx casting rod and a shimano curado reel and I can cast just about anything a mile with no problems of any sort. Also I have them spool my ice reels. I have 2 fly reels with 2lb p line and haven’t had any problems with them and I love them. Also I have a perch sweetheart/shimano sienna combo for walleyes and 4lb p line also no problems there either.

The p line on the spinning reel hasn’t coiled like the other mono’s I have used. Also before each season I have changed all of my mono’s cause I only put about 60 feet of line on my reels. Other wise if I have more than that on a reel I will soak the spool in warm tap water then take them out in the boat with me and let all of the line out to stretch it out. Haven’t had any problems with any line since I started to do this.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Ted

I believe they are the same line. The “floro-ice” just comes in smaller spools.

Pline florocarbon is 100% florocarbon line, floro clear is just a coating on the line, there is a difference and there is a price point difference. I also think the way the line is put onto the spool makes a huge difference as well. Traditionally we poke a pencil through the spool of line and with some resistance reel onto the spool manually. I think this is the result of coiling that some folks are talking about. Using a machine or havine a company like Thorne Bros or other retailers put the line on for you will allow the line to lay tighter on the spool and reduce coiling.
    Just a thought.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Hey Bret,

What didn’t you like about it??

I don’t think P Line is near as limber as Trilene XL. I don’t even like the Trilene ice for this reason. I love the action I get out of Gill Pills and Diamond jigs with the cheap 2-4lb Trilene mono.

I believe the line coil/memory, and line twist problems people have with mono is because they do not read the directions on how to spool there spinning reel.
    Line twist is also caused by not having the patience to bring in big fish on light line. If you are reeling while the drag is slipping you will build up line twist in a hurry.
    I also purchase Trilene in spools of at least 300yds and I’m not bashful about changing out my line half way through the season or earlier depending on how much action I’m getting.

As far as stretch and fishing deep water, with the correct set up, hook sets should not be an issue. Matter in fact there are times when using smaller hooks that a little stretch is an advantage. This is especially true when taking suspended paper mouths.

I’m not knockin’ anyone who likes there P Line. Heck, I still fish with Blue Fleck
    It just is not the line for me. That is why I like the fact that there are so many choices on the market today. With trial and error everyone should be able to find a fishing line they prefer

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

In years past I have always used Floroice. The last 2 seasons I have bought Floroclear in the 300 yard spool. One for my panfish setups and another for my walleye reels. BTW, I seldom put more than 150 feet on a reel so I use backing to fill the rest of the reel.

Steveinsene
    SE Nebraska

You guys that like the Berkley vanish really need to fork out a little more money and buy the Berkley 100 percent flourocarbon…Way way way better stuff, just more expensive. My problem with the vanish was in the 10-14 lb stuff for open water bass rods knot strenght is horrible, whatever knot I used or how much you lubricate your knot. They were supposed to have fixed this in the newer vanish but it does not seem so.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.