ice bit for a cordless drill

• ElFuegoOnIce

Which hand auger bit works best with a cordless drill? Nils Master isn’t in the budget so I was looking at the curves blade model from Eskimo.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Don’t know about the Eskimo. I had back to back pitch problems on both a Lazer and a Mora; for three years now, I’ve been running a 6″ HT Enterprises hand auger and an adapter from http://www.icemasteradapter.com.
    Average on my 18v Dewalt is 25-30 holes per battery through 8″-10″ of ice-closer to 15 once I start poking through 12″ or more. Less than 8″ it’ll bore a ton of holes. Keep your batteries warm-I stick mine in an old sock or stocking cap with a hand warmer.
    For running and gunning or just traveling light, it’s been a real sweet set up. Just used my power auger for the first time in three years this past weekend, only because I didn’t have to carry it far.
    My $.02

-Rev

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

The Nils while spendy will save a lot of stress on your drill, keep that in mind

john-o
    Hastings, MN

I’ve been using a 6″ K Drill this season. You owe it to yourself to check it out. Very cool tool. I’m thinking of selling my gas auger.

Paul Delaney

I just had a couple of customers on the ice yesterday that had a 4 inch Strikemaster bit that he made an piece from the auger end that fit on to his cordless drill and worked very well a bit small but I am sure it would work for a 6 inch hole as well. I am not so sure how it would work for an 8 inch hole. Good luck and hope this will help you out.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I use a 5″ Strikemaster Lazer with the Clam Conversion kit and it smokes. I get about 15 holes per battery with the stock 1.2 AH batteries. Just ordered a 2.6 AH lithium for my drill hoping to get about double the holes per battery. One thing I did notice is keeping the batteries warm really makes a huge difference. Resorted to sticking them in wool socks with hot hands in them in a cooler to keep them warm. Worked well. I definitely think the Lazer is the way to go to ease stress on the drill. Moras/similar augers turn a lot harder than the Lazer.

ElFuegoOnIce

Thanks guys. I’m definitely going with an 8″ but, won’t be punching a ton of holes. My jiffy is leaking fuel and no matter what I replace it won’t stop. I’m not giving up on it I just want an economical alternative.

hamms
    Mn

Ht high velocity hand auger, Eskimo silver tip,laser, frabill has their version.. 6″ is the way to go for cordless drill setup plenty big and way faster then an 8″

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

My jiffy is leaking fuel and no matter what I replace it won’t stop.

Well, that statement just makes no sense. Of course SOMETHING will fix it. Every part is replaceable, you just have to find which one or combination of ones. New tank, cap, fuel line, clamps, etc.

ElFuegoOnIce

I’m not a motor guy so, it’s just going to take some tinkering. I guarantee I’ll be a 2 cycle motor guy by the time it’s done.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Ahh, take pictures with your cell phone of the parts you are about to dismantle so you have some reference on how to reassemble, keep your parts organized as you disassemble and explore! Worst case scenario, take the dismantled mess you have made to a shop and have them repair it. Good luck!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

One of the slickest things I’ve added to my truck in the last couple of years is an inverter to change DC to AC. Now I can just plug in my cordless tool chargers and charge batteries right in my truck. The chargers don’t draw a ton of current, so it’s very easy to do. Also handy for keeping all the kid’s electronics, iPads, etc powered up.

I got a nice one at Menards for $40, you can plug in 3 things at once, 150 watts total. Perfect for charging up cordless drill batteries.

Grouse

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

One of the slickest things I’ve added to my truck in the last couple of years is an inverter to change DC to AC. Now I can just plug in my cordless tool chargers and charge batteries right in my truck. The chargers don’t draw a ton of current, so it’s very easy to do. Also handy for keeping all the kid’s electronics, iPads, etc powered up.

I got a nice one at Menards for $40, you can plug in 3 things at once, 150 watts total. Perfect for charging up cordless drill batteries.

Grouse

I’d been wondering about that for my stuff-thanks Grouse! -)

ElFuegoOnIce

An inverter is a hell of an idea. I love this website and forum for all of the ideas.

ElFuegoOnIce

Got the jiffy back up and running like a champ. Also went with the Eskimo silver tip 8″. Will report on performance.

Timo i

Which hand auger bit works best with a cordless drill? Nils Master isn’t in the budget so I was looking at the curves blade model from Eskimo.

Mora pro ice with tournament blades

ElFuegoOnIce

The Eskimo silvertip 8″ cut fast for the first 6″. After that my drill battery took a crap. Need to update my drill now. That’ll make the wife happy.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Are people adding an extension to the hand augers when using an electric drill? Seems like it may be a bit short if I don’t?

Rod Bent

I’ve had great results up to 18,20 inches with 6” Nils and 18v Makita

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I think the Nils hand auger is longer than the strikemaster hand auger. I was planning to use a 5″ strikemaster hand auger. Starting drilling should be fine, but while cutting down i may be bending over a long ways to the point of kneeling without an extension.

I was planning to use a 5″ strikemaster hand auger.

Clam makes an extension that works well with strikemaster hand drills. It can be adjusted to 6, 12 or 18″.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Cool, i saw one in Fleet Farm last week. Wasn’t sure if it would work or not. Thanks for the confirmation Fishwater!

tswoboda

Ion extensions work for Strikemaster hand augers as well. I keep the adjustable Clam extension on my Mora all the time but have swapped it for the 24″ Ion extension on Lake Winnipeg.

Bryan Myers

Strikemaster has a hand auger extension as well that goes right on to take some extra strain off your back. I run a 5″ Lazer and it can be a little short with out it when the ice gets a bit thicker.

https://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/auger-accessories/hand-ice-auger-accessories/hand-auger-extension-adjustable/EXT-1A.html?cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories-handMiscAccessories#start=3&cgid=strikemaster-augerAccessories-handMiscAccessories

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

you can buy two of the Clam extensions for the price of one strikemaster extension. plus the ones from Clam are adjustable where as the strike master is not.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.