I must be lost or hell froze over

• Jonesy

For me to post in the ice fishing forum. But here I am. Made friends with a guy at work who ice fishes a lot and my uncle invited me to do a weekend on red lake in january. I have zero equipment for ice fishing and looking for 2 rod recommendations.

I am looking for a rod/reel combo that would be good for walleyes using slap raps, rippin raps, etc. Also looking for a set up to go after perch and panfish. Would like to keep each combo $60 or less. Anybody have any suggestions?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sienna 500 on both rods.
    Panfish 36 frabil quick tip.
    Walleye. Go 13 fishing white noise or wicked ice.

That should keep you right around 60 maybe $70 each both rods are very good for the price

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

St croix premier rods are a good everyday rod as well

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Fenwick elite tech 39.95 and Mitchell avocet 19.95. I have three of these setups and really like them for the money

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

My choice for the walleye combo would be the 13 fishing,28″ m wicked ice combo and perch would be the 13 ,29″snitch/decent combo,Not a fan of inline so I would buy rod and put a decent spinning reel,Ceymar 20,sedona 500,or Mitchell RZT 500,on instead.The Jason Mitchell 28 m meatstick combo would also be a good choice for perch.These would be pretty good quality setups that fit in the price range your looking at.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Fenwick HMG ice rod believe is 25$ from scheels add a small spinning reel and ur ready for variety of species i run two of these and they are great for eyes and perch sensitive but not too weak too handle pike . I have been fishing these instead of my “new st Croix custom ice rod “ they are that nice in my opinion

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Two questions up front:
    Do you have any 500 or 1000 sized spinning reels that you use for open water?
    Will you be hole hopping or in a shelter/shack?

If you have a couple 500-1000 size reels and wouldn’t mind re-spooling them with line (probably 3# on one and 6# on the other) that will allow you to put the full amount towards a couple nice rods. My opinion is that when ice fishing the rod is way more important than the reel.

I personally use alot of Fenwick rods, they are a great value and often overlooked.
    Here is a breakdown of their ice rods
    HMG Series – $30 – Moderate action
    Elite Tech Ice – $40 – Fast action
    Aetos Ice – $50 – Extra Fast action

They are available in numerous power ratings (UL-L-ML-M-MH …) and lengths.
    I would probably go with the Elite Ice 25″ UltraLight and the 36″ Medium to start, only costs about $80 and they are really decent rods. If you want to throw a MedLight rod with a moderate action into the mix you could add in the HMG 26″ ML for $30.

Use existing reels, three rods at $110 and add some line in the mix and you could be set up for under $125.

Word of warning on the Aetos series, the reel seat is a bit funky and you may need to modify the reel “T” so it fits nicely. The HMG and EliteTech reel seats are just fine.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It could be worse Jonesy. You could be posting in the school bus thread.

AJ

You cannot go wrong with a Shimano reel, sienna or sedona are both great choices. I recommend a medium action for the rod.

rjohnson8404

Size 20-25 Pflueger trion
    Fenwick elites or 13 fishing
    28” ml
    For eyes

Size 20 plfueger trion
    And ul or l 13 fishing tickle stick for panfish perch.

Jonesy

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to start googling them. Gives me a good idea of where to start.

smasher

Do yourself a favor and check out Limit Creek ice rods in models LCIR30MLF and LCIR30W. Both are 30 inch rods one with a lighter action than the other. I personally use the lighter action, LCIR30MLF, for both walleye and perch/crappie applications. Both rods MSRP at $29.00.

Put a Shimano Sienna 500 on both of them and you’ll be under $60/each.

http://www.limitcreek.com/IceRods.html

Jonesy

Do yourself a favor and check out Limit Creek ice rods in models LCIR30MLF and LCIR30W. Both are 30 inch rods one with a lighter action than the other. I personally use the lighter action, LCIR30MLF, for both <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye and perch/crappie applications. Both rods MSRP at $29.00.

Put a Shimano Sienna 500 on both of them and you’ll be under $60/each.

http://www.limitcreek.com/IceRods.html

Perfect, did just that!

Sam Collins

Can’t go wrong with Sienna’s for reels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.