I “lost a Henry” this week.

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

As of Superbowl Sunday I am down 52lbs reaching my milestone of “losing a Henry” my youngest. This adds to previous markers such as “oldest can touch his hands together while hugging me.” Now it’s time to work on ditching the second kid…

Had the midlife crisis appointment in November where they said I needed BP and cholesterol meds, was super fat and pretty likely to have a cardiovascular event within 20 years – it can really creep up on you. Decided to change some stuff and try a med for weight loss and now BP and cholesterol are naturally in range. Feels nice.

Deuces

Congrats, hard work pays off.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Fwiw, I know some folks who’ve lost a son, this would be a hard header to take in, but I’ve never heard the analogy before either.

Jeeze, I didn’t think of that. Technically I have been saying “lose a Henry” all along. Maybe I can edit the title.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Congrats to you. I just posted a post with the same issue as you. My Dr has said even with a decent weight loss, it may not be possible to get off the High BP meds but still worth the weight loss for the various other gains.
    What was the Med that you tried for weight loss and do you think the med played a major role in the loss? Other than the meds – What other changes did you make that aided in the weight loss ?

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

What was the Med that you tried for weight loss and do you think the med played a major role in the loss? Other than the meds – What other changes did you make that aided in the weight loss ?

I went pretty hard into it. I fast until lunch (only black coffee, tea, water) and eat a salad + protein for lunch. I eat normal, smaller amounts of dinner and have cut out anything not whole grain, bad oils, reduced beef, etc. Snacks are nuts or fruit type stuff. I only drink booze max once a week socially, although it is becoming more difficult to drink without feeling like poop after. Lots of water – half an ounce per pound. Light cardio or lifting 5x week (hopefully), and hopefully stuff I enjoy. The med is Wegovey which claims to suppress appetite which combined with the other stuff it is working well for me – namely that I am not miserable being hungry all the time.

Two unique things that stick out to me as really helpful are:

#1 I have been very open with my (young) kids that Dad needs to obtain and maintain a healthier weight so he can aim to be healthy, active, and alive for them – I reasonably incorporate language of health into daily talk with them. I want my kids to be healthy and I don’t want to be a hypocrite. It has been motivating, and it would be hard to slip back without them asking difficult questions – I’m kind of digging myself into a hole.

#2 I have a meaningful personal goal of wanting to kayak again. Whitewater was/is a huge part of my life but hard shell kayaking went bye bye with the arrival of kids and now I’m too fat to get back into it. I want to kayak again in general, and there is a specific waterfall that I want to run again before I die.

Losing weight to look better, because my wife wants, or for ambiguous “be healthier/active” goals has not helped previously. I suppose the high BP and cholesterol has actually given me a helpful measurable goal.

CaptainMusky

I switched my beer of choice to Ultra and lost 30 pounds in a year. Then the Pandemic happened and I am not in the office so I dont eat out every day and lost another 30.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.