Hypothetical FFS question

• mojogunter

You must have kids in Competitive Dance and are speaking from experience. My daughter was in Competitive Dance for several years. I never asked how much my wife was spending a year on it mainly because I didn’t want to know but it was thousands a year with the travel, costumes, and lesson costs. I am so glad to be done with all that. Traveling baseball was cheap compared to dance. For people complaining it is only for rich kids. All HS athletes benefit from rich parents, paying for better equipment, and year round camps. This is nothing new, and I wouldn’t expect anything different from bass leagues either.

For the kids I know involved in HS fishing, Their parents or other family member is providing most of if not all the equipment being used. I know of no one that a parent who went out and purchased any of the things you listed for the kid to use. You must not know anyone who has kids involved in Hockey or girls dance if you think HS fishing is expensive.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

See above post I was referencing. Some seem to think that the parents ARE buying the boat and tackle specifically for the kids. Which is the same as buying equipment.

We could go the trap shooting route too. I’ll bet some of the parents are buying a shotgun or two for their kids to participate in that.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>
    What HS sport requires more initial investment? Who’s buying these bass boats, safety equipment, electronics, rods and tackle, paying for the gas, etc? Quite the expense to get started, especially if they hope to be competitive.

For the kids I know involved in HS fishing, Their parents or other family member is providing most of if not all the equipment being used. I know of no one that a parent who went out and purchased any of the things you listed for the kid to use. You must not know anyone who has kids involved in Hockey or girls dance if you think HS fishing is expensive.

OK, so you agree its expensive. Regardless of when the equipment was purchased, a sizeable investment was made to make it possible for most of the kids to participate.
    If a kid decides today he or she wants to play hockey, or fish competitively which one requires the most investment? If their parents don’t provide it, and the school doesn’t who does? Just because you don’t know anybody that has paid to get their kids involved doesn’t mean it’s not happening. I’d like to see the kids out there “competing” without graphs and trolling motors. The district 5 team in the movie Mighty Ducks comes to mind.

skinnywater

Any updates on when drones will be legal for hunting?

tswoboda

Probably when shoot and release catches on

And drones are legal for fishing

Attachments:
    1. drone-view.jpg

CaptainMusky

Comparing trap to HS bass fishing is hilarious. My sons have all done trap. THey have both (third next year) have used my gun. I look down the range and I see anything from grandpas hand me downs to several thousand dollar over and unders. There is really no advantage regardless of how expensive they are. The best shooter had probably a $50 870 a few years ago. My son has been the top shooter the last 2 years and likely this year too shooting my 30 year old beretta. You are not competing in hockey with 30 year old skates or sticks. Bass fishing? Well, that you might, but not hockey, no way.

Buffalo Fishhead

OK, let’s get back to the topic.

I have huge doubts FFS (and like technologies) will ever be outright banned.

HOWEVER, in some fisheries regulations will be altered considerably. I believe crappie fisheries will be the first to see fishing regulation changes.

Buffalo Fishhead

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I doubt any sonar will get banned as it doesn’t tell you what the fish is or if it is going to bite. If they wanted to ban sonar, it should have been done 20 years ago

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>skinnywater wrote:</div>

Probably when shoot and release catches on

And drones are legal for fishing

Following that relationship of FFS with catch and release, and drones + shooting deer…

Why can’t FFS be legal to be used strictly with C & R? Not an ideal enforcement scenario, but what is?

tswoboda

Why can’t FFS be legal to be used strictly with C & R? Not an ideal enforcement scenario, but what is?

You already said it but enforcement. I don’t see COs doing transducer inspections.

Was really just making the point hunting and fishing regs are tough to compare. But if you really want to make the FFS comparison to hunting, cell cameras are the obvious one. I believe those are getting some regulation in certain states.

Ripjiggen

Price should have nothing to do with it, but sure seems like it circles back to who can and can’t afford it.
    Sounds kind of dumb that the price of it even comes up in conversations about banning it or not. Pretty petty argument IMO.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Price should have nothing to do with it, but sure seems like it circles back to who can and can’t afford it.
    Sounds kind of dumb that the price of it even comes up in conversations about banning it or not. Pretty petty argument IMO.

Agreed. There is some valid points on why it could be banned but 90 percent of what’s posted here is a real dumb argument.
    Abs since when would being the rich kid in high-school not get you better equipment. My kid bats with a 350 dollar bat in baseball. His buddies bat is over a 1000 and the next kid in lines bat is 50 bucks at Walmart. The kids on my hs bass team fish with all my nice gear, I’m guessing half the kids in the league don’t use rods or gear that even compares. We don’t use ffs for leagues, yet we came in second place last year

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

What made you change your opinion? A few weeks ago you started a thread and favored a ban. Now you don’t care? Just curious what changed your view on them.

I didn’t change my view at all. The prior post was about a survey being done by the Wisc. DNR on rather or not a person would be in Favor of a Ban on FFS or not. I said if I was taking the survey, I said I’d say yes, I would be in favor of a ban on the use of them. I went on and gave my reason why.

My reply on this post was to put me in the Camp of I don’t care if its banned or not. Banned or not banned doesn’t effect me one way or the other.

FinnyDinDin

So you created a thread to tell everyone you would vote to ban them and went on with several posts to explain why you feel that way…but you don’t care if they are banned.

Are you a female? Reminds me of my ex. lol wink

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

No one is jumping into the HS fishing scene with a 14 foot row boat or a canoe

Had some kids last year use a canoe all year for the High School fishing scene. No electronics or trilling motor. It put them at a big disadvantage.

Some seem to think that the parents ARE buying the boat and tackle specifically for the kids. Which is the same as buying equipment.

Had another guy buy a boat for his kid to use in HS fishing. He said he always wanted a boat and this gave him the excuse to get one. It was older and used. Still $15K.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wow, that is really old school. I’m surprised its even allowed considering there’s no livewell.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

but you don’t care if they are banned.

Nope, Don’t care. But on a two answer Question on a survey, you have to choose one answer or the other. Kind of like the last Presidential election and probably the next one. Don’t like either choice, but have to fill in one box or the other.

As far as am I a Female goes, I’d say nope. I was born with both a X and Y Chromosome and when I look down when I pee, my equipment says male, So in my world that makes me a male.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Wow, that is really old school. I’m surprised its even allowed considering there’s no livewell.

Cooler with a 12v aerator/pump. Same as the guy in the row boat with a 15 hp motor on it.
    The kid with the 250 and x2 FFS and 5 screens total came in the top 3 every week. Must be all skill.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Way Way back in the day when I first got into tourney Bass fishing, The only two requirements for the boat was a working livewell and a Motor kill switch. There was a fair # of guys who had the cooler converted to a live well thing in their boats.
    Back in my Bass Club days, We had a guy who was always right at the top in the final standings each year and he fished out of a Old 16Ft Bass Tracker with a 35 HP motor. Most the guys in the club either had bass boats with at least a 150 Motor or a bigger alum. boat with at least a 115 motor. He always said he did not need to out run the other guys, just out fish them. We once had a club tourney on Lake Calhoun that was a trolling motor only lake. I drew him as a non boater partner for that lake. He said he had a surprise for all those fancy bass boat owners. Tourney day he showed up with 2 Transom mounted trolling motors in addition to his bow mount. At the shotgun start he fired up all 3 trolling motors and sure enough we out ran all those bass boats to our starting spot. It was the same spot that at least 3 other boats wanted to start on. We got there 1st and sat on it all day. Ended up winning the tourney. That was the only time he ever out ran others to his starting spot.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

He said he had a surprise for all those fancy bass boat owners. Tourney day he showed up with 2 Transom mounted trolling motors in addition to his bow mount. At the shotgun start he fired up all 3 trolling motors and sure enough we out ran all those bass boats to our starting spot.

LOL now that is funny.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I’m a couple months into owning a livescope and still think this is one of the worst fishing purchases I’ve made. So why are they talking about banning these things? I guess if you enjoy watching little eletric blob fish swim around on a fuzzy screen something like this is for you. I can guarantee there is no button or combination of buttons on these systems that make a fish bite. So far, for me if anything they are a distraction from actually fishing.

CaptainMusky

Mike you probably need someone to help you with settings. I dont have a Garmin, but the Lowrance version of the same technology and for crying out loud you can literally tell what kind of fish it is based on what you see on the screen. I dont even have the latest version of it which is supposed to be way better.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m a couple months into owning a livescope and still think this is one of the worst fishing purchases I’ve made. So why are they talking about banning these things? I guess if you enjoy watching little eletric blob fish swim around on a fuzzy screen something like this is for you. I can guarantee there is no button or combination of buttons on these systems that make a fish bite. So far, for me if anything they are a distraction from actually fishing.

yeah, you’re doing it wrong… Do you have Livescope or the original Panoptix?

FinnyDinDin

Mike W are you using it in the boat? I am not a big fan of using mine on open water in most scenarios and conditions. In the winter they are gold.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Anyone who thinks these units don’t help them catch more fish, or help to make the fish bite are probably not taking the time to learn them. Just watch the Bassmaster classic last weekend. The pro’s were saying they were now locating fish that they prior would never have found. They are also now able to adjust how they work the bait based on how the fish react to it to help them catch way more fish. Keep in mind, these fishermen have probably spent way more time learning the units than the average fishermen are willing to spend.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.