Hypothetical FFS question

• mrpike1973

Hi Guys been gone a while.
    Question if they would ever ban FFS couldn’t you still use it for mapping and 2D sonar.
    If so how would you prove it? I don’t think there will be a return policy.

Lots of opinions out there.

Honey sorry I paid $3000 for FFS it’s banned oops. smash

Ripjiggen

Are you asking if FFS is banned would you be able to still use your graph at all?

Of course.

I don’t think it’s getting banned.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Man this topic has been beaten to death. That’s partially why they aren’t going to just outright ban it in recreational fishing.

In tournaments they could though. I think on the PMTT they make the boats remove the transducers during the events. They can still use the graphs though as Rip already stated.

10klakes

Not this again…

FFS is just the transducer that allows you to see live imaging vs your 2d or SI transducer. No one is talking about banning graphs doah And I don’t see a ffs ban coming.

lsv32 and black box can be found new for $1,000, if you already have a Garmin graph.

CaptainMusky

They will ban the FFS the same time they come and take all your guns. That will be a cold day in hell.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I for one will be voting NO on question 22 for the Wisconsin Congress Congress Spring Hearings on April 8 . I urge everyone to vote . This goes back to when Minnesota pushed for a BAN on Carl Lowrance’s Green Machine ie (flasher ) GPS mapping has more impact on fishing in the last 25 years than any other tech yet do not hear anyone complaining about that .

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Put me in the camp that thinks there is no way they could ban it.
    Also put me in the camp I don’t care if they ban it or not.

Tom schmitt

The only place they should ban ffs is in high school fishing, and only because not everyone fishing in high school has it.

Michael Best

With power hungry government it might not happen today but I could see it happening in the future.

As for would I want to see it happen.
    No, I tend to like less government.

For the tournaments I would say that it should be up to the anglers that fish them. I will say this, the clubs (organizations) need to find out what the fan base wants to see happen as well.

mrpike1973

Ok I must admit didn’t realize they are only talking banning in tournaments.
    Without being thrown out I really am against fishing tournaments of any kind. Even the local High school leagues around here in my opinion are for the rich kids and none of them really have fishing talent just technology talent.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

I do have FFS like it more for ice fishing than summer for bass fishing spent more time looking at a screen quit looking at it and right back at it hammering fish. It has it’s pluses and minuses.

The idea of a contest is knowledge and skill.
    The chance many of us will ever be pro anglers is slim some of you do it on a smaller scale I understand that. At the end of the day just want to enjoy the fishing the loons the water and the companionship of my bride.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Even the local High school leagues around here in my opinion are for the rich kids and none of them really have fishing talent just technology talent.

High school bass fishing is one of the fastest growing sports right now. Not only in Big cities but small ones as well. Don’t need to be rich to compete at the HS level. I’d say most other HS sports cost way more money than fishing does.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I don’t think they’ll ban FFS. I remember when it was discussed at the MN legislature about banning underwater cameras. Many guides were pro-camera and said they don’t help catch fish. That’s a flat out lie.
    Many years ago I let my young son who hadn’t ice fished much use my camera set up for down looking for fishing panfish while I used my flasher. I told him when the white thing (Euro larvae) disappears, set the hook. He caught just as many fish as I did.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mrpike1973 wrote:</div>
    Even the local High school leagues around here in my opinion are for the rich kids and none of them really have fishing talent just technology talent.

High school <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass fishing is one of the fastest growing sports right now. Not only in Big cities but small ones as well. Don’t need to be rich to compete at the HS level. I’d say most other HS sports cost way more money than fishing does.

What HS sport requires more initial investment? Who’s buying these bass boats, safety equipment, electronics, rods and tackle, paying for the gas, etc? Quite the expense to get started, especially if they hope to be competitive.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The only place they should ban ffs is in high school fishing, and only because not everyone fishing in high school has it.

No everyone in HS fishing has Side scan or even a down image graph, Some don’t have trolling motors, Some don’t have spot lock, Some don’t have GPS mapping, Ect. Although I agree with you, I just don’t know where you draw the line. I’m not sure its possible to make all High School fishermen equal when it comes to technology. Not much different than other sports where some kids have better equipment. Be it better Golf clubs, a better tennis racket, a better shotgun, Ect

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Grubson beat me to it. A boat is a significant financial investment. Especially one that is outfitted with decent electronics and a sizable outboard.

No one is jumping into the HS fishing scene with a 14 foot row boat or a canoe. I honestly can’t think of a HS sport that is just as expensive as having to buy a boat.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

What HS sport requires more initial investment? Who’s buying these bass boats, safety equipment, electronics, rods and tackle, paying for the gas, etc? Quite the expense to get started, especially if they hope to be competitive.

For the kids I know involved in HS fishing, Their parents or other family member is providing most of if not all the equipment being used. I know of no one that a parent who went out and purchased any of the things you listed for the kid to use. You must not know anyone who has kids involved in Hockey or girls dance if you think HS fishing is expensive.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

No one is jumping into the HS fishing scene with a 14 foot row boat or a canoe. I honestly can’t think of a HS sport that is just as expensive as having to buy a boat.

Your missing that most involved already have the majority of the equipment available to them. If you think all those involved in the sport are having new fully rigged bass boats purchased for them, the Bass Boat sales would be loving it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That’s fair. Some of them very likely already have what they need or its being supplied.

The fact remains that a boat is still required, and a decent one at that. Plus a vehicle to tow it, and insurance on both. Whether or not all of that is already available, it still had to be bought by someone at some point.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just don’t think it belongs in Professional Tourney’s…how about the PMTT boat that had like 8 Livescopes on it?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

deleted

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Plus a vehicle to tow it, and insurance on both.

How do you think it is that kids in other sports are getting to their sporting events? on horseback or walking ? Once again, if you know someone with kids involved in Hockey or dance, Ask them how many miles a year they put on getting their kids to those practice and events.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

if you know someone with kids involved in Hockey

Totally understand the hockey investment. Played it growing up.

CaptainMusky

These kids arent spending this money on their own they are living off mommy and daddy and using their boat and likely the tackle etc that they purchased for them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Kids dont like to work these days, at least my middle son works and makes good money but a lot dont and would never afford this stuff.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Humminbird in a WI company. Minn Kota (sister company) is a MN company. I called tech support with some questions before I ordered Helix 9 and Mega Live Ice fishing bundle last week. I actually asked a 14 year employee of Hummingbird that question. He laughed. He said that he never heard that rumor. The amount of tax $ they generate is enormous. They will never ban it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

These kids arent spending this money on their own they are living off mommy and daddy and using their boat and likely the tackle etc that they purchased for them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Its not like HS hockey players are buying their own $1000 skates, $300 composite sticks, and all the other gear required either. I don’t see how its any different if the parents are buying the boat, graphs, and tackle when you compare it to equipment in other sports.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

These kids arent spending this money on their own they are living off mommy and daddy and using their boat and likely the tackle etc that they purchased for them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

The people I know involved with HS fishing volunteer their time and boat, some have a kid that fish (even then kid #2 and #3 don’t iinherently have a boat to access), others just volunteer to give back to their passion and spend more time on the water. And as far as I am aware HS Fishing REQUIRES an adult “captain” to run the boat, so it wouldn’t even be possible for a 16 year old to show up with his own 16′ Lund to fish on his own.

CaptainMusky

Oh I know hockey is expensive but this is next level.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Its not like HS hockey players are buying their own $1000 skates, $300 composite sticks, and all the other gear required either. I don’t see how its any different if the parents are buying the boat, graphs, and tackle when you compare it to equipment in other sports.

They buy the sticks, skates and other equipment specifically for the kid, and a short window of time that it fits and gets used. As far as I know, no parent is buying a boat, graph and tackle to get their kid into fishing, and if they did they’d still have a parent with no clue running the boat. Typically what happens is they already have the boat, graphs and tackle and volunteer it’s use, and Dad’s time to captain the boat. Big difference.

CaptainMusky

Typically what happens is they already have the boat, graphs and tackle and volunteer it’s use, and Dad’s time to captain the boat. Big difference.

Exactly

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.