Snowshoes

• Scott Mueller
    Coon Rapids, MN

Can anyone give me some advise on buying a pair ? I’m looking at getting aluminum ones 9×28-30, what should i look for pros and cons certain brands to stay away from. I’m not going to go overboard just an entry level pair to start with

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I spent $115 ish at Cabelas for 30″ pair last year. I’ve only logged a few miles(less than 10) on them, but for that price point, they have held up well. I like the easy on/off binders. Saved my butt this year on the last day of archery season. Shoed in a half mile in knee to belly button deep snow.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I bought a cheap pair before I knew what I needed. I found wider is not always better. I trip once in a while because I catch the inside edges. Also, I have metal buckels. Really bad. They wear into the gortex of my boots. Mine also have nylon strap webbing That are cheap. If they are wet for prolonged periods of time they stretch. So, I recommend getting above bottom of the barrel entry types.

timmy

Traditionals get my vote. A nice pair of alskans – 10×56 or 10×48 with good bindings. It seems that the traditional ash/rawhide shoes give better flotation. I like the bob maki bindings – google them. Easy on/off, no buckles, straps, etc….

kooty
    Keymaster

Just went and looked at mine. They are 35″ Atlas brand.

Scott Mueller
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks for the input guys, it gives me something to go on

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Several years ago I bought snowshoes and ended up on eBay. I know, I know, but bought some ‘Mtn snowshoes'(that’s the brand) in a 27″ and got the shoes, the sticks, and the bag for I know was less than 100$ including shipping….used pay-pal to make the purchase and there were at my house in a week Go look…looking is free….

Scott Mueller
    Coon Rapids, MN

ya iv’e checked it out don’t have a prob buying off there, i just wanted what to look for. How do you like the ones you got ?

kooty
    Keymaster

I use Ebay all the time. However, I will recommend that you know exactly what you are looking for. More than once I’ve been fooled cheap overseas knock offs or by products that look similar but come as mini=versions of what I expected etc… Anymore, I rarely buy anything without price shopping it on Ebay.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I like them a lot I saw these at our local ‘Ski’ shop if you will, and then looked on-line, then for the he11 of it, looked at eBay….saved a good pocket full of cash even after the shipping….
    ***hold the phone, you mentioned ‘running after tip ups’ ? Go one size longer if that’s you plan…I think someone else mentioned that also…..good luck….(makes ‘shed’ hunting easier in this deeper snow)

Scott Mueller
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks i’ll check them out,we have a crow hunting contest comming up so i’ll be using them for that also

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.