Life without a truck?

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Anyone experience life without their truck? I keep walking up and looking at the empty driveway Must be signs of insanity – keep looking outside expecting a different result. I’ve been trying to baby it out until I had the extra cash for new injectors. Something went and it sounds like a gremlin slamm’n a sledge hammer inside the engine. Watched it go out on a flatbed and was wondering if an ambulance wouldn’t have been more appropriate?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I keep telling my wife she needs a mini van for our herd. She says they day I give up my truck, is the day our family has a mini van. Can’t imagine being an outdoorsman without one actually. Oh it can be done, but I like blood on my tailgate.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

but I like blood on my tailgate.

Tailgate picture just wouldn’t be the same without a tailgate

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The reason why I talked my wife into a Grand Cherokee. Its my backup 4×4 and hauler.
    For Gods sake dont tell her I said that…..

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Quote:

Tailgate picture just wouldn’t be the same without a tailgate

Yep, gotta have a tail gate. I try to keep a small fleet of trucks around so I always have one to use.

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

When I don’t drive my truck I feel a little out of my comfort zone, but sometimes you just have to use what’s available. In this case my Honda Accord did the trick. It doesn’t have a tailgate, but I did get 30mpg

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Quote:

When I don’t drive my truck I feel a little out of my comfort zone, but sometimes you just have to use what’s available. In this case my Honda Accord did the trick. It doesn’t have a tailgate, but I did get 30mpg

Thumbs up to getting the job done!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

What? Theres a Honda Accord in that picture

Nice work

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I did that with an Omni hatchback. We found out the hard way that we didn’t get the cavity drained of ALL the blood. Car smelt good for awhile though. We also had more deer ticks in that car. Wonder what the guy who bought it from me was thinking?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I don’t miss my truck at all. Much more comfortable ride in my Suburban! If I need to haul something,I can still put most of it in the back. If that’s all your using it for is blood pictures on your tailgate, Your driving it for the wrong reasons…..

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Chappy, I own Wieland Building and Remodeling, custom design/build residential builder. That is first and foremost on my needs. Secondary is my trapping and guiding to supplement my income in this current state of the economy. Not a fan of putting flea filled coyotes into a suburban

kooty
    Keymaster

Aren’t Suburbans for soccer moms? Another reason for a truck, when I kill a giant buck, I need to drive around with the tailgate down.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Aren’t Suburbans for soccer moms? Another reason for a truck, when I kill a giant buck, I need to drive around with the tailgate down.

They are oversized Man-Mini Vans

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Suburbans are awesome. I consider them trucks and then some. If you need inside heated space for family, dogs or gear, you cant beat them. Great for multi-people trips. If you need to throw $*** in the back isolated from cabin then trucks are better. The main reason I went from Tahoe to truck is because of hauling cabin garbage home every weekend.

skulskitom
    Southeastern MN

Just went through this myself but i had 2 go down, 1 rear end and the other injectors. I went nuts 6 days without a truck. I know ur pain!!!

tapout

I had to trade my suburban in for the wifes mini van. so I havent had a 4+4 in 3 years. So I feel all your pain ten times over again

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m sorry, I read that back like 3 or 4 times…you traded a truck for a soccer van? You must really love your wife Oh, suburban for a soccer van

tapout

YEa im trying to go off that saying a happy wife is a happy life. After this many year without one and getting her threw school the new truck is def in the near future cards. And im not going to be skimping on it either.

deerdragger

On my recent trip to Idaho (bow hunt for elk), we elected to take my Honda Odyssey in lieu of the Expedition. We weren’t doing any real off-roading (although some of the forest roads were a bit rough on the ol’ Family Truckster). Averaging 24 mpg was nice. We did get turn some heads with the 6×6 rack on the roof on the return trip.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Hey dt, you need a bigger cooler! That rack is one heck of a nice hood ornament!!!! Congrats on the nice bull

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

no way could i go without a truck! i tried for a week and i couldnt handle it. while im not a ford man by any means, its better than nothing. the guy that trades his truck for a minivan for his wife is a better man than i. i been trying to talk my wife into trading the minivan for an extended cab truck! lol, ill need something to drive when im putting a lift and roll bar on mine wont i?

kooty
    Keymaster

Love the photos.

When I lived in central SD I had a Chevette. It was “special”. Fire engine red, it was HOT. Ok, it got great gas mileage. Plus who doesn’t like to mess around with a rear wheel drive piece of junk…It was my ice fishing rig, hunting rig and commuter car. It was full of Golden Retriever hair, pheasant feathers and blood. Shot a deer out on Farm Island one night, field dressed it and threw it in the hatch back. Still remember loading it. Funny as heck. Wish we would have had digital cameras back then. Well, sort of… One day coming home from ice fishing I blew two tires. Drove it home the last 4-5 miles on the rims. She got pretty squirrelly about 25 MPH.

I don’t care what you own, as long as it gets you to and from the field.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ok, I’m starting to see the minni-van concept

johnee

It’s a bummer being without the hunting vehicle. Whatever vehicle that may be.

We just drove my SUV around all weekend pheasant hunting. The thing I REALLY like about an SUV is that all the gear inside stays clean, dry, and the huge one during this dry spell is that it stays dust free.

Anything in the back of a pickup, it seems, no matter what kind of cover, topper, etc, is always coated in road dust.

For big game, I go with the hitch rack meat hauler. Simple and easy to clean, no blood running around the truck bed.

Obviously, being in remodeling, Randy’s situaiton is totally different. I’ve thought about going with a 4 door truck, but I can’t see it being as useful to me as an SUV.

Grouse

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Thank god my wife is a truck girl. She has sworn she will never drive a mini-van. She grew up in a car family and drove cars when we first started dating. Once she started driving my trucks it was all over. She never wants a car again. I usually keep a beater car around for cheap summer commuting. But she’s much rather be driving a truck. We have an Expedition as a family truckster and she would drive it every day if I would let her.

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

lol, your wife does what ya say? lol.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.