Simple rewards to success – the Hunt

• jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Hunting season is right around the corner and as we speak some folks may even be in route to this year’s first big hunt. The excitement and anticipation of the trophy of a lifetime stepping into range has been ringing loud in our minds as we play the whole scene out pondering and hoping, you just gotta love it – hunting season is here!

Technology is great, there’s always new gadgets surfacing that may give you the edge while in the woods but in the same breath not being familiar with the operation or having it being second nature can cause a person to bobble and possibly mess up a great opportunity on an animal.

We have all been there if it’s not the operation or use of something it’s just being clumsy with everything versus being stealth.

There are so many simple things for example – a little felt or moles skin on the side of your riser face, on the bow to eliminate the arrow ting when it flops over off the rest and hits the bow. To having a release that fits your hand and a release that you are 100 % familiar with. Even the simple things as being able to draw back and anchor to the side of your face every time without struggling and trying to get settled in ( a big issue when throwing on a facemask for some folks) If you rely on a peep make sure the hole is big enough so many folks can shoot all day long using a small say 1/16” hole but I will guarantee you just that one time when you’re dealing with a heavy cloud cover and you’re in primetime old Bullwinkle comes walking out and you are having issues, a large peep works great no panic or struggles you just settle in and release.

I think I have to stop here for there’s a limit on words.

But try to keep your system simple! And make sure you test it with more than a few shots try to find where your hidden obsticals may be and make the simple this will get you one step closer to success!

This last weekend was a good example of folks shooting and shooting a bunch to find some of those hidden problems that caused fliers and frustration – If we can clean those frustrations up now they will not be there when you’re drawing back on a buck of your dreams.

Good Luck Folks!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Perfect timing on the post JDX! I found out (just in time before we head out west)at the GTG shoot that my peep had been slipping on me…causing my shots to be several inches low! Very frustrating…will be taking the bow to the archery shop today to take care of that problem! All good ideas in your post as well! It’s the little things that can certainly make or break a successful hunt!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great post and content Jeff. Yep, I have noticed a lil creak in my bow this Summer and it seemed to be amplified this weekend for some reason.

Might have to bring her in and get it fixed.

lick

good post jeff

if i had your money rob id just get a new one you still have 4 days to get her dialed in

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Great post . I agree its the simple things that screw up a hunt. Mental preparation is also huge when it comes to the long sits and the shot of a life time.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Excellent post Jeff. Sometimes as hunters, we have a tendency to over complicate things. I’ll use myself as an example. This year I have a new site, rest, stabalizer and a release. I’m just not comfortable yet with all these changes and I’m certainly “not dialed in yet”. This week and next week I will be spending a lot of time fine tuning not only my equipment, but more importantly my mental routine. Hopefully by the opener I will be able to put it on auto pilot.

Thanks again for your post and the reminder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.