shotgun question

• chippee
    sw wi

I’ve been wanting to get an over&under for pheasant hunting but am finding it hard to part with over a grand for a familiar brand name. just got a new gander mountain ad today with a spartan and a stoeger for 499 and 329. anyone have any experience or knowledge on these 2 brands. is it the old get what you pay for scenario. thanks

Bob Bowman
    MN

You get what you pay for in an over/under. There have been some nice over/unders here on IDA for sale. I would look into a used gun if I were you. I think if you go with a cheap gun you will not be happy with what you get for your money.

Bob Bowman
    MN

You get what you pay for in an over/under. There have been some nice over/unders here on IDA for sale. I would look into a used gun if I were you. I think if you go with a cheap gun you will not be happy with what you get for your money.

kris_brantner
    My river

i have heard alot of things about the stogers ( the condor ones rite?) ive heard alot of bad things about them as i was going to buy one of those. i did some research, and found out that they didnt have very good feedback. i checked some stores and found a good deal on a ruger red label. used but in perfect shape. if you are not afraid to buy used, its the way to go. over and unders thers not much that can go wrong with those, and theres not much you can hide with one either. check your used section and you might get a good deal on familiar brand name. i got mine for 600 less than what they go for

kris_brantner
    My river

i have heard alot of things about the stogers ( the condor ones rite?) ive heard alot of bad things about them as i was going to buy one of those. i did some research, and found out that they didnt have very good feedback. i checked some stores and found a good deal on a ruger red label. used but in perfect shape. if you are not afraid to buy used, its the way to go. over and unders thers not much that can go wrong with those, and theres not much you can hide with one either. check your used section and you might get a good deal on familiar brand name. i got mine for 600 less than what they go for

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I picked up the cheap Sarlimaz (Turkish made) from the hunting forum. I too was looking seriously at the Stoegers but they are so plain and you’d really have to break that hinge in. Then I was at Wal-Mart and found a Fausti Stefani (Italian) for $450. It had a lot of engraving and looked & felt very nice compared the Stoegers. I was set on it and started saving but I lucked out and found this one here cheaper so I bought it.

Firstly I carried it in the woods 2 full days and love how short it is. It has 26″ barrels that are only 2″ shorter than my 870 but overall gun length is 6+” shorter! Secondly it has IC and modified chokes perfect for grouse. Thirdly it has the thumb safety and barrel selector that is very comfortable to use.

I have always wanted one and now that have one it won’t be the last. I just had a hard time justifying ~$1000 without ever having shot one. So I was set on a <$500 one In this case the cheap one is giving me some experience with the style and so far I like it.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I picked up the cheap Sarlimaz (Turkish made) from the hunting forum. I too was looking seriously at the Stoegers but they are so plain and you’d really have to break that hinge in. Then I was at Wal-Mart and found a Fausti Stefani (Italian) for $450. It had a lot of engraving and looked & felt very nice compared the Stoegers. I was set on it and started saving but I lucked out and found this one here cheaper so I bought it.

Firstly I carried it in the woods 2 full days and love how short it is. It has 26″ barrels that are only 2″ shorter than my 870 but overall gun length is 6+” shorter! Secondly it has IC and modified chokes perfect for grouse. Thirdly it has the thumb safety and barrel selector that is very comfortable to use.

I have always wanted one and now that have one it won’t be the last. I just had a hard time justifying ~$1000 without ever having shot one. So I was set on a <$500 one In this case the cheap one is giving me some experience with the style and so far I like it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.