Antelope Success!!!

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I just thought I’d let you guys know that my first Wyoming Prarie Goat hunt was awesome! I had competition for the last several weeks at the range between my 7mm STW, .270, and .280 at 100 to 300 yds. I was most consistent with the .280 Browning…(although I purchased the .270 Sako GreyWolf with this hunt in mind)

With a load of 54.0 gr of H 4350 behind 140gr Accubonds, I was pressed to make a 323yd shot. The rut was in full force near Douglas Wyo and the goats were very skittish. I had the Zeiss Conquest on 9X as I followed the walking buck. He finally stopped and my buddy whispered 323 yds on the Lazer. I was sighted in -7 1/2″ at 300yds so I held just below his spine.
    I hit the Buck quartering away…the bullet struck the last rib…angling forward, shredding the left lung and aorta…leaving with two mysterious exit holes on either side of the breast bone?
    I dont have a good view of the horns which were 6 1/2″ at the bases(a tad less than 16″ beams) with really nice cutters. It was rough scored at 75″ B&C.(82″ is minimum)
    I found the hunt pretty physically demanding but extremely rewarding!

tom_gursky

Here is my buddy Jims buck shot at 150yds with a 7mm Weatherby.

tom_gursky

Here is my buddy Jims buck shot at 150yds with a 7mm Weatherby.

tom_gursky

My other hunting partner Big Rich. He shot this tall horned beauty with a 1962 vintage Winchester Mod 70 in 300 H&H.

tom_gursky

My other hunting partner Big Rich. He shot this tall horned beauty with a 1962 vintage Winchester Mod 70 in 300 H&H.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thank you for sharing the hunt and pics with us.It looks like you all had success and a great time.Good job .

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thank you for sharing the hunt and pics with us.It looks like you all had success and a great time.Good job .

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Right on Tony! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics Tom . That is a speices that definitley on my list to do someday ! Those challenging and demanding hunts make memories that stick in your head forever! Congratulations on a beauty goat TOM

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Right on Tony! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics Tom . That is a speices that definitley on my list to do someday ! Those challenging and demanding hunts make memories that stick in your head forever! Congratulations on a beauty goat TOM

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dandy looking goats Tom
    I’m sure you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dandy looking goats Tom
    I’m sure you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing!

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

That is sweat Tom. That is one thing I would like to shoot, but I was hoping to do it with my bow. From your story I better get me a 300 yard pin on that bow though.

Awesome!!

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

That is sweat Tom. That is one thing I would like to shoot, but I was hoping to do it with my bow. From your story I better get me a 300 yard pin on that bow though.

Awesome!!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

300 yards!!!! I can’t even see that far. Great shot.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

300 yards!!!! I can’t even see that far. Great shot.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Awesome hunt guys.

I used those Accubonds for deer hunting last year, and they are an awesome bullet.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Awesome hunt guys.

I used those Accubonds for deer hunting last year, and they are an awesome bullet.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome goat Tom. Looks bigger than what you scored. Lots of goats out there, but finding the trophies can be challenge.

The funny part Putz, 300 yards is a drop in the bucket when hunting goats in Wy.

kooty
    Keymaster

Awesome goat Tom. Looks bigger than what you scored. Lots of goats out there, but finding the trophies can be challenge.

The funny part Putz, 300 yards is a drop in the bucket when hunting goats in Wy.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I guess if they can shoot priarie dogs at that distance, goats should work too. Guess I’ll stick to 100 yards with my slug gun.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I guess if they can shoot priarie dogs at that distance, goats should work too. Guess I’ll stick to 100 yards with my slug gun.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Awesome Tom simply awesome congrats on a successful hunt!
    Thanks for sharing the pics and the story

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Awesome Tom simply awesome congrats on a successful hunt!
    Thanks for sharing the pics and the story

tom_gursky

It was an eye opener for me too Putz the first time I shot some groups at even 200 yds this spring. I thought I was a pretty good shot at 100yds but 2 and 300 took a lot of practice and good equipment.

tom_gursky

It was an eye opener for me too Putz the first time I shot some groups at even 200 yds this spring. I thought I was a pretty good shot at 100yds but 2 and 300 took a lot of practice and good equipment.

kooty
    Keymaster

It’s some amazing country out there isn’t it? If you are good enough, a person could take shots as long as the scope will let you see.

I grew shooting deer at 2-300 yards thinking nothing of it. But man, when you get to Wy, those boys have real wide open country.

Again, thanks for sharing the story and photos!!

BTW, Putz, you are too old to shot over a 100 yards anyway.

kooty
    Keymaster

It’s some amazing country out there isn’t it? If you are good enough, a person could take shots as long as the scope will let you see.

I grew shooting deer at 2-300 yards thinking nothing of it. But man, when you get to Wy, those boys have real wide open country.

Again, thanks for sharing the story and photos!!

BTW, Putz, you are too old to shot over a 100 yards anyway.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Yeah Kooty, I’d need a bedspread to sight anything in at 300 yds. I like shooting deer at 100 yds though. That means I’m in open country instead of a thick willow patch and can drive the truck up to the deer instead of dragging the darn thing.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Yeah Kooty, I’d need a bedspread to sight anything in at 300 yds. I like shooting deer at 100 yds though. That means I’m in open country instead of a thick willow patch and can drive the truck up to the deer instead of dragging the darn thing.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Very nice speed goats, congrats!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.