12v External Power – Moultrie

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Has anyone ever rigged a non-moultrie battery to their cam to extend battery life? I was just thinking… ATV/Lawnmower batteries are 12v and would obviously have a lot more capacity than expensive D-batts. Could a guy just wire up an ATV/Lawnmower style batt with the plug and have it work?

thanks!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

nice find. So a guy would just have to find the right style plug and hope the camera recognizes it right?

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

I have run my Wildview off an old mower battery. It was too weak for the mower but holds plenty of charge for the camera. Then I switched over to a smaller battery like the one attached in the previous post. It is actually a battery from one of those little electric kids pocket rockets. The pocket rockets have two tied together so I just switch them back and forth when I need to. If you go to Radio Shack or a place like that and explain what you are doing they can set you up with the cord to connect to the camera. I carry the battery out to the woods in an ice cream bucket and just run the wire through a hole in the side. The bucket sits on the ground or I hang it from a limb. You lose the ability to hide your camera but that’s why I use a cheap camera. My Wildview ran through batteries pretty quick so this has been a good solution for me.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

nice! Glad to hear this works. Disposable batts are so expensive nowadays. Doing something like this would save a lot of $$$ in the long run. What kind of battery life do you see on an external like this? Probably months at a time, right?

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

It seems like a month or two between charges. Here is a link to what you need from Radio Shack. Get the 4th and 5th items from the bottom. Together they make your cord. 20 bucks….a good one time investment.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=12%20volt%20adapter&origkw=12%20volt%20adapter&sr=1

I do the same thing for my underwater camera that I use for ice fishing. I have the old mower battery in a 5 gallon bucket and then last year I attached the camera to the top of the bucket. The 100 foot camera cord attaches to the side of the buckets so I can wrap it up easily. It is not great but it works for me. I like having the camera up higher where I can see it better. With this method I also don’t have to worry about the battery running out when I am on the ice.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Thanks for the help Jr!

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

No problem…..I had the same questions a few years ago myself.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Darren – I guess I didn’t know that the different brands were interchangeable. I guess for $39 it saves a guy the trouble… not to mention you’re saving money after 4-5 battery changes with disposables!

thanks!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

$39 for the Stealth Auxiliary unit is a darn good deal. $50 + shipping is the cheapest I could find them online. Link

offthewall
    Ham Lake ,MN

saw a Moultrie solar panal with built in 12v battery for 79.99

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.