Hummingbird Migration

• Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Got my feeder out over the weekend. Last year we got two that regularly came to our feeder. Hoping for at least the same this year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We put a feeder out again. We’ve tried unsuccessfully to get the Hummers to our feeder before. We saw her at the feeder a couple days ago, but not since.

It might be because they make that peep chirp that our pup heard and started barking at it. ;(

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s cool. It’s usually around Mother’s Day that I start noticing them. I’ll have to get our feeders up soon!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Put out 3 yesterday.
    No sightings yet (NW WI)
    We get enough most summers to justify putting up 5 feeders although they ussualy have 2-3 they like best.
    Cool little ctitters for sure!

huskerdu

Neat birds! I feed at the cabin , feeders on both side of the house they are territorial little guys need gals.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They are constant at our cabin. I get miffed when the alpha male wont let the others feed grin But eventually they all get a shot. I fill the feeder about every weekend. Between them and the orioles I cant keep it filled a whole week usually. Those are two of my favorite birds. I still get excited to see both every single time.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I pulled my feeder out last night and hung it up but didn’t fill it. doah I guess I will have to do that tonight. They are fun to watch.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Who posted the video last year I think at their can of dozens of hummingbirds seemingly feeding peacefully?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I put a feeder out last night. When will they show up? yay

nord

I did as well,Ralph.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I found this little beauty while cleaning the garage yesterday. She’d obviously died quite a while ago. Kinda neat to see up close. Those are some tiny feathers!

Attachments:
    1. 20180506_180927.jpg

BrianF

The first hummers of the year showed up today at our home here in the south metro of the Twin Cities. Good to see them…and, boy, do they seem hungry.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Our hummers showed in Minocqua just yesterday… I was on one of our largest lakes last night and the ice that was left was so rotten (at least on the north edge) that I was able to drive right through it…

Mark

?????

Was it this one?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have had a lot of visitor’s yesterday. My hummingbird feeder was half ways gone this morning.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I still haven’t had one (that I’ve seen), but my crab apples are about to bloom, so that should draw them in.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Hummers have been in Maple Grove for a week.

8 orioles fighting over the feeder this morning.
    Red breasted grosbeak, cardinals and finches in summer colors – fun time of year.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Hummers have been in Maple Grove for a week

I”m sure they have, but not in my yard. )

My folks in Sartell have had them for a week, too.

jwellsy

I haven’t seen a hummingbird for the past 2 weeks (since ~ Sept 12th). They have started their migration to Mexico. I’ll leave my feeders out for another couple of weeks for any stragglers that pass through.

When was the last time you saw a Hummingbird in your area?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Been at least a week here. Our feeders will come in maybe Tues, ahead of when the temps take a down turn. Been a fun hummer year.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

About 10 days ago in western suburb of Mpls.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

We haven’t seen any in East Central MN for about a week now. Wife cleaned out the feeder today.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Saw the last one Thursday. Dubuque, Ia

nord

I still had one on Saturday. I told her it was time to leave. laugh

jwellsy

After thanksgiving I like to start putting out suet cakes. But, it’s hard to keep the the squirrels out of the suet.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

it’s hard to keep the the squirrels out of the suet.

That’s what pellets are for.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Last times I put out the suet feeders the bear seem to get them. They can really smash those wire suet boxes. Hate to have some bear get one of those stuck in its mouth or something. Late winter might put one out here and there. I like to hang the deer rib cage/backbone if I get one as the woodpeckers seem to really like that too and its easy to hang and lasts a long time. Haven’t seen a hummingbird in about two weeks now (Western Wi).

ThunderLund78

They were thick on our feeder up until last week, but EXTREMELY territorial. One bird staked it out as his (or I think it was a “hers”) and guarded it despite there being 6 plastic “blossoms.” She defended the entire feeder VERY aggressively. Rivals only got a sip before being chased off.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.