Humminbird Questions

• Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Last summer I attempted to connect my Humminbird 587 ci GPS/Sonar unit to the transducer on my Minn Kota Terrova. The depth number were way off… Like 50 to 100 feet at times. Crazy wrong numbers. I have double checked the Terrova transducer is compatible with the 587 ci graph. So why the goofy depth ranges. Do the two need to be synced or something?

mojogunter

Shouldn’t have to sync anything. It works with mine fine. I wonder if the transducer is bad? Do you know someone else that has a Minnkota that you can bring your locator into to try it to verify, or bring a different humminbird in to check your transducer? I have an extra humminbird you could test it with if your on the north metro side of town after the ice goes off. I have an extra power cord and can bring a small flasher battery to test it.

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Well I bought the Terrova brand new so I can’t imagine it’s the transducer. But stranger things have happened. I do have a helix which is what replaced the 587. I just thought it would be cool to have a graph at the front of the boat and one at the back of the boat like the tournament guys. LOL…

Thanks for the offer Mojo… I’m in the southern burbs but my boat is stored up near Mille Lacs. So I don’t quite have it handy.

Love the avatar though. That skit on SNL with Patrick Swayze was the best. I had never laughed so hard. Sad both actors are gone.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Last summer I attempted to connect my Humminbird 587 ci GPS/Sonar unit to the transducer on my Minn Kota Terrova. The depth number were way off… Like 50 to 100 feet

at times

. Crazy wrong numbers.

Are you able to get correct depth sometimes?

What battery is you humminbird powered from? Any your trolling motor?

The shaft on your trolling motor, is it close to straight up and down when deployed?

Have you noticed it not reading correct depth when the trolling motor is on vs off? I.e. running.

Have you adjusted sensitivity on the humminbird. More is not usually the answer.
    Do you find it happens over hard bottom, gravel and rocks in shallow, or at any depth or bottom type?

If you can answer those I’m sure we can get you going.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

When you say new trolling motor are talking this years? If so there is no 2D sonar puck it is DI only.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

When you say new trolling motor are talking this years? If so there is no 2D sonar puck it is DI only.

Not sure you’re right. The MinnKota website still shows the choice.

Attachments:
    1. Ducer-choice.jpg

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

All valid questions River Mud. I still have to wait till ice out before I can get on the lake to test any of those questions. If I remember right last year it was acting all wonky so I just shut it off to deal with later then never got around to it. It is wired to my starter battery for OB rather than the trolling motor batteries. And I’m sure the shaft is perpendicular to the boat when it’s deployed.

Tom when I said I bought it new I meant it’s only one owner and I know exactly how many times it’s been in the water. Which I can count on both hands. I bought it in 2017. And I have hardly even put it through it’s paces. I’ve never even discharged the batteries to 50%.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.