Humminbird question

• Umy
    South Metro

So, spent the last 2 years reading online, watching you tubes, practicing out on the lake ( at least once a week only on the water in different depths, situations etc seeing what the units will do and how to work them) Was out 69 times last plus two 4 day trips to Canada so, lots of practice.
    Reading in the Humminbird forum this morning some stuff that was last summer.
    I can use auto pilot, set my follow the contour, set low water depth highlights and specific depth highlights once I find where the fish are at, set waypoints, tracks, change track colors, name waypoints etc.
    My question is reading side imaging too.
    I have a Helix 12 on the dash, CHIRP, DI, GPS (2016 model which I think is GEN 2 ? )and a KVD ( kevin Van Dam) 9″ SI-GPS on the bow – CHIRP side imaging DualBeam Plus ( what I found online as to what it’s capabilities are).
    When I am in SI on most lakes in the south metro you really don’t see much on the bottom and that could literally be just that. But at a lake up near Bemidji there was a big tree in the water and I could see nothing of it on side imaging and I spent probably half an hour playing with the controls just to see if I could see something. ( I see in one of the posts from last summer interference might be an issue so I’ll try some spots around here ( south metro) where I know I should pick up on something and turn the dash unit off to see if there is interference). Also, speed is optimal at 5mph and aware of that. Should I be seeing docks and marina underwater supports too? I just don’t seem to be getting the kind of imagery that it shows when I put it in training mode so I must be missing something.
    No one else I know personally has the SI or I would take them for a ride and learn something from them.
    FISHLECTRONICS did my rigging for me. Both my 9″ and 12″ transducers are mounted on the left side of the motor. Turning around to the other side and going past the same tree does not get any different results.
    Couple of pics from the 12″ – but have none form the side image. SI will show me the contour and the “roiling hills” and weeds and everything just not seeing the structure.
    Any thoughts?

Attachments:
    1. canada-august-2021-3-1.jpg

2. Fish-lake-Crappies-2020-1.jpeg

Umy
    South Metro

Pics did not load

Attachments:
    1. Fish-lake-Crappies-2020.jpeg

2. canada-august-2021-3.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Run over to Chippewa Falls this Sat morn, and sit in on Dr. Jason Halfen’s free seminar;

Zacho Sports Center
    F57eb9ruoar2y g28908m masoft 8:29 3dPM ·
    Free seminar announcement! Free seminar announcement!
    Join us at @zachosportscenter this Saturday for a pair of awesome seminars and much much more.here are some details:
    Electronics are the keys to success on the water. Now more than ever, it’s critical that anglers learn to harness the power of their on-board electronics to find and catch more fish. Two free seminars from @technoangler will describe how sonar works, help you understand exactly what your fish finder is telling you, and show you the untapped potential of modern electronics to locate and capture fish – from crappies and bass to trout and walleyes. You’ll also get to see some of today’s most powerful technologies – MEGA 360 Imaging and MEGA Live Imaging from Humminbird – in action, both on the ice and in open water.
    You and your fishing partners are cordially invited. Join us for a morning of free seminars that will help you find and catch more fish all season!
    Seminars start @ 9:00 am and doors open @ 8:30. We expect a great turnout, so please arrive prior to 9 for the best seating.
    We will also have a PILE of awesome door prizes so be sure to attend and register for the drawings – must be present to win.
    Call or text us anytime at 715 723 0264 for more details.

Adam Steffes

Those are down imaging pics, not side imaging.

Umy
    South Metro

Hey, that’s a great idea. See if i can squeeze that in!@! Sposed to be going to Bemidji but that looks like it might not pan out.
    GREAT idea, thanks!

Umy
    South Metro

Those are down imaging pics, not side imaging.

Sorry, i get it. Just showing that I can see with that just fine. Should have been clearer on my initial write up ( novel actually)

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I didn’t catch it in your post, is your SI unit a 2016 as well? Mine is a 2016 and have gone through the same pains you describe. I’ve fished with buddies with newer gen units and it is waaaaay better. Waaaaaaay better. I think I need to upgrade to the latest.

Just my observation.

Umy
    South Metro

Came with my first boat which I got in 2018.
    He said he purchased it a “couple years earlier” so I figure around a 2016 model. In looking up the serial numbers nothing was conclusive but the KVD ( Kevin VAn Dam) model came out around then so….
    Yeah, the training mode shows way better imaging too so I am a little confused.
    Wondering if it was Transducer but the image itself is bright and “sees” as far as I have it set to.
    Don’t know.
    Going to the seminar Hot Runr Guy suggested and hopefully learn something there. Will report back on this thread if I do.

Ripjiggen

If you are comparing to Mega SI. There really isn’t much comparison.
    Not a bird guy so can’t help you on the settings themselves.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

To determine if it is a Gen 1 or a Gen 2 look at the frequency selection for the SI. If it’s a gen 1 you will only be able to select 400 or 800 mhz. Gen 2 will have frequency in the 1000’s. Gen 2 was the first Mega SI unit.
    It also could be the transducer is not level when the boat is in the water. Your down imaging looks fine. It uses the same transducer as the SI. Default setting are usually not far off.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I can use auto pilot, set my follow the contour, set low water depth highlights and specific depth highlights once I find where the fish are at, set waypoints, tracks, change track colors, name waypoints etc.

What he said

Benny

If I remember correctly, the first generations of Mega had limited range at the Mega frequency (1.2 MHz). I seem to recall it didn’t go much beyond 40′ or so. The Mega+ can utilize the Mega frequency out to 100′ or something like that.

So I think the generation of the unit may affect your results, so the year will be pertinent even if it is a Mega unit.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

TBH – it sounds like you have an issue with your system. Your ability to image trees, docks, pilings, etc. should not depend on which revision of SI you are using. My first SI unit was a 997 (circa 2012 maybe?) and I could image all those things and know what I was looking at. Get someone who has experience with SI in the boat with you and try diagnosing the problem.

The newer units do produce very crisp imagery. Attached is a pic I took last year with mega. 48′ to the right of the boat is a diamond-shaped cement anchor for a navigation buoy. You can even see the shadow of the cable holding the buoy to the anchor. To the right of the buoy are loads of sauger. To the left of the boat there is a tree and the shadow of the tree. You aren’t going to get this resolution without mega but you should be able to make out most of these objects, especially at a reduced range.

Attachments:
    1. snp0605214419.png

Umy
    South Metro

Wow, clearly not that good. The bottom shows like in yours ( the part right under the boat) but not much else. I only get 400 and 800 I believe on the imaging frequency so most likely Gen 1
    Have a new transducer sitting around but didn’t think that was the problem necc. As the picture still shows decently to the outer edges.
    My ducer mounts are attached

Attachments:
    1. 8E2F230D-CF2F-4086-B7E3-8E8B60A1FA4B-scaled.jpeg

tim hurley

My SI does not work well unless I trim my motor up.

Adam Steffes

My side imaging is akin to Jason above. I have found tires and all sorts of random things on the bottom of the lake with it. Big Carp look funny on the SI for sure.

I can tweak the settings all over and you can still see things on the bottom or trees and that sort of thing so I have trouble believing its your settings.

Might be time for an upgrade to latest gen.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Your transducer is set too low. The bottom of the transducer needs to be above the bottom of the boat. Also look on the under side of the boat… do not install it in line with the chines or rows of rivets. Where it is set now at 5 mph there is way too much turbulance for it to read. Watch a Youtube video on installing it. They will help you determine the right spot. Also do you have the correct transducer selected in the menu? A few adjustments and you should be good to go.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

If your issue is with the SI imaging then you should put up some screenshots taken with the SI. Then we will be able to help you out. Putting up the screenshots of the DI and pics of your transducer mount are not that helpful.

The rivers are opening up – so you should be able to get out soon and work out the bugs.

Umy
    South Metro

Yeah, put mergers as a contrast that THEY actually work but had no SI images so kinda dense of me. Soon as the water opens up I will be all over it. Already working on Slowpokes refs too so thanks.

reddog

You do not have the correct Side imaging transducer shown in the picture. Left one is Down imaging. The correct transducer fora KVD H 12 is XHS 9 H DSI 180t ? I can’t tell if the right one is a high speed 2d or a compact SI . It looks like it’s a high speed to me.

Wow, clearly not that good. The bottom shows like in yours ( the part right under the boat) but not much else. I only get 400 and 800 I believe on the imaging frequency so most likely Gen 1
    Have a new transducer sitting around but didn’t think that was the problem necc. As the picture still shows decently to the outer edges.

reddog

XHS 9 HDSI 180T is the correct transducer for a G1 H12.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220305-070053_Samsung-Internet.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

You do not have the correct Side imaging transducer shown in the picture. Left one is Down imaging. The correct transducer fora KVD H 12 is XHS 9 H DSI 180t ? I can’t tell if the right one is a high speed 2d or a compact SI . It looks like it’s a high speed to me.

His SI unit is a KVD 9″, of un-known generation, and according to ‘birds page, came with the XNT 9 SI 180 T Transducer.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/discontinued/helix-9-si-gps-kvd?jo-page=2

HRG

reddog

Lacking some comprehension skills this morning. Sorry. XNTs are not great imagers to begin with compared to XHS version. I’d upgrade. SI on the bow is not easy to interpret without extensive use. I’ve had a HDSI on my Terrova since 2010. I love it. To me, if you’re going to have a DI and an SI unit. Si should be on the console. But that’s just me.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Lacking some comprehension skills this morning. Sorry. XNTs are not great imagers to begin with compared to XHS version. I’d upgrade. SI on the bow is not easy to interpret without extensive use. I’ve had a HDSI on my Terrova since 2010. I love it. To me, if you’re going to have a DI and an SI unit. Si should be on the console. But that’s just me.

Agreed, I’m not a fan of the XNT 9 DI T ‘ducer on his 12″ either, I’m hoping the G4 H-9″ MDI unit I’m installing this weekend provides better images.

HRG

reddog

I’ve always said, if you want SI on the bow, you should spend a year or two with it on the console learning it, because under trolling motor conditions, you need to use your imagination more because of the speeds (or lake thereof) involved.

Umy
    South Metro

So, the XNT 9 SI 180 T Transducer is the one that comes with the KVD 9” SI model. The CHIRP 12” down imaging transducer is the correct one right out of the box.
    As a newbie owner I asked for the SI to be on the bow, do most of my fishing from there. Thought that when I was patrolling the edges, banks, drop offs that would be better imagery to have. Usually going at trolling motor speed when using the SI. Sounds like that would be better at the dash and the DI at the bow. I told fishlectronics I wanted to use follow the contour from the bow ( I can probably use that with the CHIRP DI)and have that SI unit paired with the Terrova. Maybe should have been the other way around is what I’m hearing?
    All new to me. Sounds like I f-Ed up

reddog

Given a choice, ( what I recommend) is SI on the console because of the speed involved there. If you have SI on both places, put your larger screen at the bow where your viewing position isn’t as good as sitting at the console. $.02

Ripjiggen

Agree at the bow is better…learning to read an interpret what you are seeing is it’s weight in gold.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.