Huge Sturgeon on Ice

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My wife just sent this to me.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3664667.shtml

There’s no way in hell they weren’t fishing for sturgeon.

I actually don’t have much of a problem fishing for them right now, I’m only worried about the gear that was used to catch it. I can imagine that was a very long fight and I hope they didn’t kill it.

Does anyone recognize the dimensions on this fish. For some reason I think someone caught this fish this year.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You bring the 10″ auger bigill; I’ll bring the bait… We’ll find her!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looks like TUCR is gonna need to come out with the first ice sturgeon rod for next winter, or this March.

48″ fiberglass, true pool cue backbone , soft tip, bait cast reel seat.

Might need a 12″ auger. 10″ will only land you a 30″ girth!

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Just curious why you believe this? I’ve hooked into and landed numerous sturgeon while walleye fishing over the years. Granted, none that big but catching them without targeting them does happen.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

Just curious why you believe this? I’ve hooked into and landed numerous sturgeon while walleye fishing over the years. Granted, none that big but catching them without targeting them does happen.

100 lb sturgeon? The gear and the hole need to be thought out.

Probably shouldn’t have even said that. Don’t really care as long as they were well prepared.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

They get caught with some regularity by walleye anglers. It’s just a looooooonnnng fight.

irishman

What a great fish. Congratulations to those guy! It is hard to believe that they actually got that fish thru the ice.

I heard that they cut 4 connected holes to get a space large enough to pull it thru the ice. That is a real fish story!

Congratulations boys!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Next winter when it’s legal to target them, we will be seeing chainsaw cut holes and 7 foot rods with 80 pound test and Garcia 6500 reels.

The C+R season for lake sturgeon will begin on March 1st, 2015 and run until the prescribed spring closure date (April 14th in most or all cases. Check the regs when they come out) Then open again in June until April 2016.

The catch and kill with a tag does not change on the St Croix.

Also, the WI side of the river will be out of bounds until their changes go into effect. Expect that to happen in 2016…(if all goes well.)

Nice catch guys! Take care of those fish out of water!

irishman

I guess I need to get my chainsaw tune-up.

I just came across a similar story from 2 years ago. There is a nice picture of a young woman with an ice rod fighting a 70-inch sturgeon from the St. Croix River.

stillwatergazette.com/2013/02/15/a-big-fish-tale

Attachments:
    1. Joe-Austin-waving-in-Background.jpeg

2. 021513_pettee-fish-1-300x225.jpeg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.