How warm is a pop up camper?

• Reef W

At what outside temperature do you actually need a heater in a pop up camper? I’m looking for a really cheap one and came across one that is overall good but had the heater taken out. Not sure if it matters or not. I assume it’s warmer than a mostly mesh 3 season tent and I’ve camped pretty cold in that so I’m just wondering when you use the heater in yours usually.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

If its cold outside, it will get cold in a pop up. Temps from upper 40’s and up can be warmed sufficiently with an electric space heater. Below that, I need the RV propane heater running. Another thing to keep in mind is the sleeping areas. The beds are generally hanging off the ends and have nothing but a thin mattress and a piece of plywood to insulate you from the cool night air. Having an extra mattress pad or sleeping bag under you will help.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

What Trent said…..get a good sleeping bag and go for it.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

A Mr. Buddy with a carbon monoxide detector should do the trick. They’re far from air tight but that’ll take the bite out of the air.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Myself and a couple buddies did alot of late fall muley bowhunts in the badlands,in a popup,heater never did work,we used heavier sleeping bags,and one of us would get up early and light the cookstove burners,never really took that long to take the chill out.

Reef W

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting one with a furnace built in. A bit more expensive than I planned but it’s in really good shape and I was sick of trying to find a good enough cheaper one. There isn’t even any tape on this one lol

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Another thing that helps on the ends where the beds are is to put a piece of styrofoam insulation under the mattress. Keeps your body heat from going out through the bottom where the cold air blows under the ends of the camper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.