How to keep deer from defecating in backyard.

• brussels4me

We live in the city and our property has a thin tree line in the back yard separating us from the neighbors. That tree line runs the length of our street and widens as it gets to the next intersecting road. Although I’ve seen them previous years, this is the first year we’ve had a problem with deer defecating in our back yard. There were 7 piles the last time. It’s creating a fly problem. Before I mow and as I mow, I pick up the droppings with a plastic bag as you would for a dog and dispose of it in the trash. .. We didn’t have a lawn company treat our yard with chemicals for weeds this year. Do lawn chemicals that kill weeds and fertilize the lawn keep the deer away? .. There’s a device that supposedly chases them away with wolf howls and strobe lights. You can run it on batteries or solar power and attach it outdoors since they claim it’s weatherproof. Does anyone know if something like that works? Can’t get a dog because of allergies. Thanks.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

They make a lawn sprinkler with a motion detector for stuff like this.

On second thought scaring them my make the problen worse :^)

JEREMY
    BP

Theres always deer poop in my yard by the apple trees. Never noticed a smell or flies by it before. Sure its not your neighbor using your yard as his toilet?

sorgy

natures finest all natural fertilizer

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

chut’em! )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Cayenne pepper is said to work. I’ve never tried it. I like deer poop even though the FW doesn’t.

jwellsy

An old wives tale is to put human haircut clippings in the foot of a stocking and tie it out where you don’t want deer.

castle-rock-clown

Got any pictures of the offending mess?

Cayenne pepper only works on resident deer. But soon there will be deer who illegally cross from the southern border who like it hot and spicy, then only a physical barrier like a wall or fence will deter them.

I found this out from a Christmas tree grower. The pepper spray worked for a while…but then…

riverruns
    Inactive

And to think someone could actually worry about deer poop and go so far as to have to pick it up before mowing, jeez. rotflol

Now you have me wondering what I’m suppose to do with the poop from these things and how to handle that on my yard? doah

Attachments:
    1. 20200806_172957.jpg

castle-rock-clown

And to think someone could actually worry about deer poop and go so far as to have to pick it up before mowing, jeez. rotflol

Now you have me wondering what I’m suppose to do with the poop from these things and how to handle that on my yard? doah

OMG, what on earth did you do with the egg shells after the little ones hatched!!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Get a restraining order.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I use the Plotsaver system on my food plots. Works well. May be worth a try.

Cayenne pepper only works on resident deer. But soon there will be deer who illegally cross from the southern border who like it hot and spicy, then only a physical barrier like a wall or fence will deter them.

I built a wall and made the deer pay for it. Well, I sent them a bill, the deadbeats never actually paid…

Grouse

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Electric fence will wok. Fencer -$25 at Menards. Rope/wire – $20 plus T posts and insulators.

I fenced the garden about 30 years ago. Zero deer (or bear-apple trees) issues.

Attachments:
    1. P1010252.jpg

2. P1010249.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I had to read this twice. Deer pellets and flies? I can think of a whole world full of problems that seem/are more urgent than this. Lasso the darned critters and fit them with a depends.

Brad Dimond

I was thinking more along the lines of put them in the freezer.

robby
    Quad Cities

I have no advise, but knew this would be an entertaining post. Thanks.

BDR

Maybe protesting at the capitol would send a message.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

brussels4me explains his situation and asks for ideas and he gets roasted by many of you. Maybe he has toddlers in his yard and doesn’t want them stepping in it or eating it. Maybe he likes to walk around in his yard in bare feet. Give the guy a break.
    I’ve never seen a deer on the move defecate. For some reason the deer are either feeding or loafing in your yard. Try to figure that out. Are there some weeds, maybe clover, that they are eating. Or use something that won’t let them hang around.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I bet there is a story behind that clown.

riverruns
    Inactive

We live in the city and our property has a thin tree line in the back yard separating us from the neighbors. That tree line runs the length of our street and widens as it gets to the next intersecting road. Although I’ve seen them previous years, this is the first year we’ve had a problem with deer defecating in our back yard. There were 7 piles the last time. It’s creating a fly problem. Before I mow and as I mow, I pick up the droppings with a plastic bag as you would for a dog and dispose of it in the trash. .. We didn’t have a lawn company treat our yard with chemicals for weeds this year. Do lawn chemicals that kill weeds and fertilize the lawn keep the deer away? .. There’s a device that supposedly chases them away with wolf howls and strobe lights. You can run it on batteries or solar power and attach it outdoors since they claim it’s weatherproof. Does anyone know if something like that works? Can’t get a dog because of allergies. Thanks.

Ok. Had to read through this again. Now I get it, i think? You say it’s a fly problem. So I’m assuming flies like the winged bugs? That’s your problem on the deer poop? Why are you worried if the flies get to the poop before you do?

How many flies? Maybe just control the flies? Any chance to set a fly trap and relocate the trapped flies alive?

haleysgold
    SE MN

brussels4me explains his situation and asks for ideas and he gets roasted by many of you. Maybe he has toddlers in his yard and doesn’t want them stepping in it or eating it. Maybe he likes to walk around in his yard in bare feet. Give the guy a break.
    I’ve never seen a deer on the move defecate. For some reason the deer are either feeding or loafing in your yard. Try to figure that out. Are there some weeds, maybe clover, that they are eating. Or use something that won’t let them hang around.

Seriously?
    Think I’ve seen and heard it all now.
    Deer poop…in my yard.
    C’mon man!
    roll

castle-rock-clown

Hey the guy got some serious advice…but can’t we have a little fun??? After all, nobody lost an eye.

Iowaboy1

brussels4me,give them the old iowaboy cure,a dish of vodka laced with benadryl in large amounts.
    while they are snoozing that off you sneak up behind them and superglue their,uh,er,sphincter shut.

sorry,very long week,fourteen hour days and blood is sneaking into my alcohol stream and I have some catching up to do.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Seriously?
    Think I’ve seen and heard it all now.
    Deer poop…in my yard.
    C’mon man!
    roll

I can attest to the fact that it looks like a manure pile under his apple trees. Several trees, several piles.

milemark_714

Spread Milorganite in the area they frequent.They hate the smell and it is great fertilizer.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Spread Milorganite in the area they frequent.They hate the smell and it is great fertilizer.

I agree with this. I’m beginning to think it works to keep rabbits out of my garden in town also. I haven’t seen a bunny all spring and summer.

catmando
    wis

Contact me in about 2 months I can thin the herd and do it quietly. DK.

castle-rock-clown

I’ve got a 1/4 acre pond in my back yard and I know the frogs are peeing and pooping in it, then they sing about it all night…then the roads and crickets chime in. Finally the dragon flies arrive which drives me batty…when will this all end???

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Buy an apartment…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.