How much is too much wind?

• Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

For you locals around the Superior/Duluth area…how much wind is too much for an average weekend warrior? I have a 17 ft boat, but it is more bass boat than deep v. We have taken it to Lake Michigan (Milwaukee) on calmer days with a low swell and done fine. I don’t venture too far offshore and since deeper water is closer along the north shore, I thought I might try my luck sometime.

As an example the wind is supposed to be out of the NE this weekend, and that is a long lake to travel down towards Duluth. But, at what speed does it get too rough to be out there? Do you avoid it with wind coming out of the north, or east?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Also, best landing(s) to launch my craft out of? Cost?

Thanks a bunch!

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

You are correct in that the NE or E winds are going to be the worst for a small boater in the Duluth/Superior end of the lake. Part of the equation also is how long the wind will be blowing out of the E/NE as it can sometimes take a couple of days for the larger swells to develop. Unless it gets gusty think most small boaters can handle the sustained NE winds up to 12 knots or so, but if it is blowing 10 knots over a period of several days from the same direction the swells may build a bit more than you’d be comfortable with. N winds usually aren’t that bad when fishing the N. Shore side. They usually tend to be gusty and shift a bit as the wind comes down the hill towards the water, but the waves aren’t bad until you get several miles offshore.

My old 18′ center console was more of a bay/flats boat and my personal limit was around 17 kts and/or 2′ waves. Much more than that and it was uncomfortable (if not dangerous) hanging over the side to set a rigger or net a fish.

I use the NOAA Marine point forecast website to get a feel for the wind/waves as my trip dates appear. You can click various points on the map to get an idea what the wind/waves are forecast to be for that part of the lake. As with anything, not always 100% accurate, but tends to be in the ballpark a large percentage of time.

As for places to launch, the city of Superior runs a couple of nice facilities where you can launch/park for the day for $5. One is on Barkers Island and another is Loon’s Foot landing which is right off of US2 and 30th Ave. On the Duluth side of the lake, the two most convenient are Rice Point Landing (Garfield Ave, underneath the Blatnik Bridge) or the far end of town a couple miles up old Hwy61 at McQuade Landing) Both of those are DNR run ramps with no launch/parking fees.

Looks like a nice weekend on tap up there so as things look right now you’d probably be fine even with NE winds. Worst case, if the wind/waves kick up more then you’d like, run back in to the harbor and St. Louis river and find some Walleyes -)

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

It will come down to how much can you handle. You can tell me 5 foot rollers are fine and I could go out there ans poop my pants. My suggestion is if you are planning to come to the area either call Marine General or get a weather radio it will tell you about how high the seas are on Lake Superior. I would say make sure its a calmer day your first time out there get comfortable know where the safe harbors are and then start flirting with waves. Good luck and be safe. Also understand you will always have to deal with waves in the entrances they always build up due to the wreck walls. I Like using the mcquade harbor or something similar.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Don’t forget about the St. Louis river if it gets too rough on the big lake.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t forget about the St. Louis river if it gets too rough on the big lake.

And don’t forget the sturgeon rods and anchors. Beginning June 18th I believe.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Exactly! I spent about 3 hours one day before it closed in April and got a 42″er. There were many caught this year with one larger than 70″.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I found too much wind! Headed to Milwaukee instead and thought the inside of the break walls would be Ok. I was wrong! Unfishable when we got close to the 2nd gap where the river dumps in.

Now I know. Won’t do that again until I get a much bigger boat.

Thanks all for the replies!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Mcquade harbor is not to far up the road Then you wouldn’t have to deal with the break walls.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.