How much effect does a cold barrel have on Ballistics of a Muzzleloader

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

During the Muzzleloader Deer season, When not hunting we keep our loaded firearm in a non heated / Non insulated Garage. Was reading that a cold Barrel will impact the ballistics on all guns, but more so on a muzzleloader. I’m not talking a cold barrel as in one prior to taking a few shots with it, I’m talking about a cold barrel as in one that has possibly sat out in temps below freezing. Possibly down to near 0 temps. I would just like to know the possible effects in trajectory so I could compensate if necessary when sighting in or when taking a shot at a deer.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I think your best bet would be to run to the range on a cold day or even leave it in the garage overnight and go. Leave your powder in the garage too so its cold as well. I doubt it would be much different but good to check.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I always store muzzle loader in unheated shed or garage during season. My shots are a 100yds or less and I have never worried about it. Been doing since the early 1980’s. What I do know is bring it from below freezing to indoors will cause it to sweat ruining your powder charge. Also put tape over muzzle to prevent snow , moisture or debris from falling the large .50 or larger hole. I have found a branch tip in there one time good thing i didn’t fire it.
    Mwal

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Part of the reason I’m asking is that often I hear that while muzzleloader hunting hunters when making a poor shot, almost always say the shot was lower than expected. Was just curious if this could possibly be the cause of other low hits from Muzzleloaders. I guess the only reliable way to test it would be like Carter said. Leave it in a cold garage and shot a shot to see. The problem is I’d want more than just 1 shot to verify the results so you would need to do it several days in a row to be sure.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

In over 50 years of shooting black powder I never had that issue.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Part of the reason I’m asking is that often I hear that while muzzleloader hunting hunters when making a poor shot, almost always say the shot was lower than expected.

My guess is this is most people that dont take the time to sight in or check zero before season. Plus they might not be making the right distance call.

Jimmy Jones

I don’t see any change in mine when it turns cold. I think its a better idea to check the load with your rod when you uncase the gun, and before priming, to hunt. Real cold weather can shrink things up a tad and sometime the load will loosen slightly while walking in and out of the stand. Keep the load tight and you’ll not have issues. I think just normal travel in the woods carrying a muzzy can offer enough jarring and bumping that the load can come off the charge ever so slightly, not enough to cause a hang or misfire, but enough to toss accuracy a bit and 99% of the time it will be a vertical off.

I leave my coat with pre-measured powder charges, sabots and bullets in tubes in the pockets in the vehicle too at night, as per Carter’s suggestion.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t see any change in mine when it turns cold. I think its a better idea to check the load with your rod when you uncase the gun, and before priming, to hunt. Real cold weather can shrink things up a tad and sometime the load will loosen slightly while walking in and out of the stand. Keep the load tight and you’ll not have issues. I think just normal travel in the woods carrying a muzzy can offer enough jarring and bumping that the load can come off the charge ever so slightly, not enough to cause a hang or misfire, but enough to toss accuracy a bit and 99% of the time it will be a vertical off.

I leave my coat with pre-measured powder charges, sabots and bullets in tubes in the pockets in the vehicle too at night, as per Carter’s suggestion.

Great reminder in checking the load tightness.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My guess is this is most people that dont take the time to sight in or check zero before season. Plus they might not be making the right distance call.

I’m sure those are the cause of many Poor shot placements. Most people are really poor at determining distance. For that reason I like to use a range finder whenever possible.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Part of the reason I’m asking is that often I hear that while muzzleloader hunting hunters when making a poor shot, almost always say the shot was lower than expected. Was just curious if this could possibly be the cause of other low hits from Muzzleloaders. I guess the only reliable way to test it would be like Carter said. Leave it in a cold garage and shot a shot to see. The problem is I’d want more than just 1 shot to verify the results so you would need to do it several days in a row to be sure.

They miss calculated the shot or tried to poke to far. My muzzleloader stays under my seat in the truck all season.

Jimmy Jones

Go shoot in the off season when it’s cold. Load the gun the day or two before you go and lock in in a cold area similar to the outdoor temps, then you’ll know for certain what your gun does.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Could it possibly be shooting varies as the barrel gets dirty. My shot 1 on a clean barrel seems to shoot right 2 to 3 iinches. Shot 2 and 3 are dead on and 4 is typically low 3 inches. Shot 5 can be anywhere. So then I clean it and shoot once. Then it’s ready for my second shot is my first shot at a deer and is right on. If I miss my target I know it’s me

B-man

About 15 years ago I learned my lesson about leaving my gun loaded all season.

(I’ll never do it again)

The first day of muzzleloader I loaded my TC .50 cal Encore up with a dry/fresh charge and sabot. I taped the barrel and left the gun in my truck whenever I wasn’t hunting.

It never came inside or was ever used in a heated stand.

On the last day of muzzleloader, I was sitting on a log in a spruce swamp with snow all around me.

It was getting close to the end of the day and I was ready to call it quits. I pulled the hammer back and took aim at a 6″ spruce 25 yards away. When I pulled the trigger the gun went “pop” instead of “boom” and the sabot ricochetted 181° off the frozen tree and missed my leg by inches, leaving a hole in the snow right next to me….

I think the temp swings in the truck were enough to cause condensation (heat on during drives and below freezing when not driving).

The sabot wouldn’t have killed me, but it also wouldn’t have killed a deer. Now I pull the breach plug every few days and start fresh.

Jimmy Jones

I think the temp swings in the truck were enough to cause condensation (heat on during drives and below freezing when not driving).

A lot will depend on the powder. BH209 will not take on moisture or condensation, but it does need to stay packed tight to the bullet/sabot. Just riding around in a truck could be enough jostling to move the bullet/sabot off the charge just enough to make a soft ignition as you describe. T7 products, Pyrodex and true blacks will absorb moisture and hand you an ignition as you describe too. Temperatureand moisture won’t affect BH209.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.