How long to wait for late partner?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I think it all depends on who it is and how much you want to fish with them. Some are worth the wait. Others not so much.

I was late for a fishing trip this year do to having to much fun fishing another spot. Could not believe the guy just didn’t go fishing with out me. Would of called and told him to go but no phone service up north. Felt kinda bad about that but he got a pretty good make up trip on the river.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

if it is a small lake like most around where i live i will go fish and watch the dock and just pick them up if they show. but if it is a big body of water where i cant see the dock i would fish around the dock for 10 minutes max. i am always on time and to me it is disrepectful to be late

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

If you are a guest in another person’s boat, you show up 15 minutes early. If you own the boat, you show up 15 minutes early and have it ready or launched. At best in college if the prof was 15 minutes late we left. Everyone’s time now days is valuable.

And this is probably why I fish alone as well.

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

I have zero tolerance for tardiness, I look at it as inconsiderate and rude. Years ago I gave up on the “need to have a buddy” concept and have been happy ever since. Believe me, I use to put up with all kinds of crap. I treasure the limited time I get on the water, I don’t need others taking that away from me.

WS

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

This is one of my pet peeves, punctuality. It’s probably a combination of my time in the military and my Germanic heritage but I too am another person that prides himself on never being late. Too many people think 0500 means 0500ish and it certainly doesn’t. I’ll give a guy a break of 10 – 15 minutes if he’s usually punctual but will cut zero slack for him if a habit develops. I simply will not hang out with people that are inconsiderate of others and their time. It helps that I really enjoy hunting and fishing alone though.

As far as cell phones go, I will leave them in the truck (same with hunting) as of late. I had a situation a few years ago with my father (who’s a no cell phone kind of a guy) that was embarrassing and which re-taught me some lessons on consideration. We had scheduled our annual long weekend in June for which I took vacation. It’s one of our busiest times of the year. However the office was constantly calling me about something or other. I mistakeningly took the first couple of calls while apologizing to my dad. After a bit he said he would drop me off at the office to handle the situations if the calls were that important. Yep, I felt like an ass.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I think it all depends on who it is and how much you want to fish with them. Some are worth the wait. Others not so much.

If she is hot, I might wait!
    If you are a guy, so sorry, you are out of luck!
    LOL

I do not like to be late and always attempt to be early. On the weekend, I may be a bit more tolerant if my fishing buddy is a couple minutes late and has the courtesy to call. 5-10 minutes I will tolerate-once.
    I am usually headed out fishing to relax and have fun, and normally avoid looking at the clock or my phone. It annoys my wife that I turn off the cell phone and fish natures schedule- When the fish are done biting or I have had enough, I will head home. Of course with a 5 year old, this doesn’t happen as often as it used to.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The question you should be asking yourself is not. “How late is too late?” You should be asking yourself, “Do I want to remain friends with this person?” You’ll never wait for someone at the landing again if you fish alone for the rest of your life. If that’s what you want – and there’s nothing wrong with that – stick to your guns. Otherwise, I’d suggest letting him know that you’re frustrated that he cost you 20 minutes of fishing (sounds like you already did) and then let it go.

Let me add that I don’t think 20 minutes late for fishing is acceptable at all. Only that I value my friendships enough in most cases to forgive and forget.

I say life is short. Get a new cell phone charger. But that’s just me.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

actually the question should be “does this person want to remain friends with ME”
    I’ve found that if you leave them behind just once they will never be late again.
    the last thing I say to them when we make plans “don’t be late cause I won’t wait”
    and they know I mean it.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

There’s a lot of big talkers on here about punctuality. And then a lot of talk of fishing alone. = ?

I would much rather fish with someone than fish by myself. Fishing solo has it’s moments when I’m just trying to relax. But fishing solo means launching solo, netting fish while fighting them and often while still moving (trolling or drifting). And I love my dog, but she’s not a conversationalist. Listening to the Twins is no fun lately, and don’t even bring up the Vikes.

Even listening to BK’s stories over and over is more fun than the thoughts swirling around in my head.

I’ll wait, be flexible on times, and understand when life gets in the way for a few minutes.!!

)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Listening to the Twins is no fun lately, and don’t even bring up the Vikes.

To enjoy those two sports, you’ll need to go to the stadiums that I’m paying for but didn’t want.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

There’s a lot of big talkers on here about punctuality. And then a lot of talk of fishing alone. = ?

I would much rather fish with someone than fish by myself. Fishing solo has it’s moments when I’m just trying to relax. But fishing solo means launching solo, netting fish while fighting them and often while still moving (trolling or drifting). And I love my dog, but she’s not a conversationalist. Listening to the Twins is no fun lately, and don’t even bring up the Vikes.

Even listening to BK’s stories over and over is more fun than the thoughts swirling around in my head.

I’ll wait, be flexible on times, and understand when life gets in the way for a few minutes.!!
    )

Agreed – and apparently there are a lot of guys on this thread who only like to talk fishing on the internet, or at least anywhere other than in the boat! LOL

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I couldn’t wait for my partner to arrive. I left the ramp 10 minutes early.

Attachments:
    1. Walleye.jpg

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I’m not very patient when people are late. I’ve left good friends behind when I offer to bring them fishing because they are late. It’s a good lesson for them. After a few times, they know I’m not waiting around and they show up on time or early. It’s a pet peeve of mine, and now they know.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

The question needs to be asked, did she say she was bringing a cooler of your favorite beer?

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Do you know whats worse than your partner showing up late?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Showing up 45 minutes or more early, calling your phone to ask why you are not already in the drive way because he’s been waiting 5 minutes, and waking your wife and child in the process. In turn causing your FW to be POed because there is no way the daughter is returning to bed as daddy is up and going fishing – without her! There is being on time, being slightly early and waiting, and just plain stupid, showing up an hour early and ruining the day for 3 people. Heck, I live there, it is my boat, and I could have slept another 30 minutes and still have been on time!

I get they are excited to go fishing but be patient. You being stupid early doesn’t make me late!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Art, I’ve NEVER had someone show up that early. lol.

My buddy wanted to leave for the Miss 4am sunday morning. I was at his house at 3:45. We were on the road at 3:52am. First thing he says when we leave “Wow, we’re early; that never happens” and to my reply, “That’s cuz you called me and i don’t like to make anyone wait”

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

)

I fish solo majority of the time. On purpose.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>cougareye wrote:</div>

)

I fish solo majority of the time. On purpose.

Please wait for me just a minute while I try to hide the surprised look on my face! )

PB2

I think in this particular situation you should have waited quite a bit longer.

And secondly I am suprised at how up tight a lot of you are.

Im never leaving the launch in a huff if i know or even think somebody is coming even if they forget or are not answering there phones.

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.