How do you wash your ball caps

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I seem to be hard on my hats and sweat through the brim area. What are the best ways to wash your hats making them look good again?

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’ve just tossed mine in with the laundry and then hang them to dry. I’ve not actually used one of those cap washers before but I’m sure they would work nicely to keep the hat in better shape during and after the wash.

Attachments:
    1. cap-washer.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have always used a toothbrush and Dawn. I would like to find a better way myself.

Dan
    Southeast MN

That’s a great question, because often getting sweat around the brim of my hats starts to bother me on a hat that otherwise is still in pretty good shape to wear.

All I’ve ever really done is handwash them. I’ve taken Tide detergent (the solid stuff you would scoop) and had the had sit in the sink with the detergent, then after awhile I’ll just do some wringing and rub it together in the sink. I don’t know that I’ve ever really done it all that well but it has helped a little and smells a little bit better for awhile.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I bought those things Sharon posted. They work.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I bought those things Sharon posted. They work.

Don’t they shrink your hats when you wash them? I’ve tried those and I still end up with a flattened crown area of the hat and one that’s tough to get back on

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll give em a rinse on a trolling run, and when they are too old and ratty I buy a new one.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I wash them in the dishwasher on the no heat drying setting, then stuff a towel in them to hold their shape while they dry on the deck table.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

This is a thing? The more broke in and worn for me the better… maybe im the exception

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Never…bad luck to wash ball caps.

lindyrig79

The sweat line soaks through and looks pretty nasty. I don’t mind wear and tear otherwise

I’ve heard of the dishwasher thing before, but I imagine not with dirty dishes, lol

lindyrig79

I bought a cool Costa hat down in FL it’s not even broke in yet and you can see the sweat line soaked through the brim, not to mention white crust from sunscreen. Gotta find a good way to wash. Maybe I am harder on hats than some of you

I think I will try Sharon’s way

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Lindy, let it air dry in the holder after washing. After a few washings the cardboard in the bill will fall apart but it will be a while. Most don’t wash their hats but once a year anyway. I have a rotation of 3-4 I usually wear. But when fishing or mowing the lawn it’s the wide brim hat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

^^^Yup^^^

No washing here just retire them.

B-man

NEVER wash your fishing ball cap

All that sweat, dirt and fish slime is good mojo

Dunking it in the lake on a hot day is acceptable, anything more is not, and considered shooting yourself in the foot.

Tom schmitt

Presoak. Wash in washing machine, cold. Air dry or wear it dry.
    Minimal shrinking.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have what Sharon posted and toss it in the dishwater. The nice thing about the cafe is it keeps your hats from getting floppy. I hate a floppy hat.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’ve heard of the dishwasher thing before, but I imagine not with dirty dishes, lol

Definitely NO dishes! lol
    If you don’t use the plastic hat frame stuff towels or something into the hat while air drying to help retain it’s shape.
    Since we’re talking about hats, as a 67 year old that has had too many basil cell lesions frozen off my ears. face and hands. Wear a wide brimmed hat, SPF fingerless gloves and lots of sunscreen while fishing.

lindyrig79

For those that use the dishwasher… just regular dishwasher tablets??

I actually have a pile of hats I’d like refreshed. Thinking about doing a “load” LOL

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Regular dishwasher tablets. 3 hats to a rack and the airdry setting.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For those that use the dishwasher… just regular dishwasher tablets??

I actually have a pile of hats I’d like refreshed. Thinking about doing a “load” LOL

Go to the laundry room and steal the Spray & Wash and spray them down before tossing in the dishwasher. When done run a extra rinse cycle to make sure everything is rinsed down the drain.

robby
    Quad Cities

I use one of those cap washers like Sharon suggested. Works well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If anyone needs more hats I can send some replacements. Lol
    I never thought of washing one in my life.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I never wash my hats. Maybe a few good dunks in the lake, I have alot of hats and seem the switch them out often enough. I also have cases of work hats that I just throw out when they get gross enough. I tried that hat rack dish washer thing a few years ago and it ruined a really nice yamaha hat I had, so I quit trying that.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

5 gallon bucket with cold water and woolite. Scrub brush and soak for an hour. Rinse and hang dry.

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

^^^Yup^^^

No washing here just retire them.

These guys will never catch a fish again.

Probably the same guys that wash their underwear after one use instead of turning them inside out.

dennis smith

top rack in dishwasher.. hat on top of a cool whip bowl to hold it up then air dry. dont touch the ol curl on the bill

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I just wear mine in the shower. 🤷‍♂️
    Shampoo the hat while it’s on my head, does the hair at the same time. waytogo

Jimmy Jones

I just wear mine in the shower. 🤷‍♂️
    Shampoo the hat while it’s on my head, does the hair at the same time. waytogo

Probably the same guys that wash their underwear after one use instead of turning them inside out.

But what about the underwear ala Mr. Moen?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.