Home Defense – What would you choose

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Had this conversation with our SIL not long ago. They live in the north loop of Mpls. On ground floor with an exterior door to a patio so they’re at greater risk for a break-in. He is not a gun owner, nor was raised around firearms. He’s asked about a home defense firearm. I said no way without a fair amount of training and practice. We came to the conclusion that pepper spray and a tactical flashlight would be the way to go for their situation.

Dan
    Southeast MN

He’s asked about a home defense firearm. I said no way without a fair amount of training and practice.

applause waytogo applause waytogo

Props to you for that response. It isn’t game over for them having a firearms, it’s just encouraging them to know how to own it, store/stage it, and use it in a manner safe to them, those that live with them, and others in the surrounding area. I know a lot of IDO members comment in a similar fashion and it’s great to see people promote responsible gun ownership.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My primary deterrent is that I bear a descent resemblance to this character and process what most would say is an even more badger like disposition.

Kidding aside (sort of), I don’t live anywhere that I’d be genuinely concerned about home invasion being a high possibility and if I did I would be moving. I still have precautions in place though but that is for me to know and whatever unfortunate soul who dared try to find out.

Same on the being overly concerned about home invasions. If I lived in an area where they were prominent, the first step I’d take is to move. I’ll never understand why some people choose to live where they do.

We take some precautions with a camera system, alarm, and I have a shotgun relatively close by. I’m sure some day the wife will convince me to add a dog to the family too that will alert. She’s obsessed with German Shepherds and I’ll only be able to fend off the “let’s get a dog” for so long.

Baitwaster
    South metro

It didn’t attach my attachment. Had I attached my attachment properly, you’d have seen my properly attached attachment…

ekruger01

Growing up my aunt lived above a bar, we would spend a few weeks with her every summer, One year a drunk decided that was hi place to break in and pass out. Being 13 at the time it was traumatic watching my uncle wrestle and fight the guy until the cops showed 22 minutes later. (Local Police department was exactly a block down the road)

In my house we have multiple layers of warning systems, Cameras outside that alert my phone, Smart locks that also alert my phone, Two dogs inside, And then if needed the subject of this post. Call me extra all you want, the bedrooms are all next to eachother in my house intentionally. We have a Phrase that my kids and wife know, if at any time I wake them up and use that phrase, the wife knows to grab the kids and head to the closet in the master bedroom. Where I can then lock the door and hold up until the good guys in blue show.

As far as my choice in protection, Im choosing either my Suppressed PCC, or Suppressed handgun. Ive taken a few Close Quarters classes over the years and suppression is a must, Unless you want to blind and shock yourself int he process. I personally would avoid a shotgun, A) most of our shotguns are meant for bird hunting or deer hunting and way to long to be effective in doorways/hallways, B) While less penetration is likely, at close range even bird shot is putting a very large hole in things, and multiple holes in walls and whatever is on the other side.

Sorry for the long post, being prepared should be more than a what if. Take the time to build layers, add security, teach family… ETC Last yeaar when a stranger decided to try and see what was in my garage at 2 am, I was able to meet him within 1 minute at the door with 2 dogs while the wife was already on with dispatch.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That is a well thought out post and well planned out system. Kudos to someone for actually having a plan.

mnmarlin

If my life or the life of my wife or kids is in danger, I’m not thinking of the neighbors – I mean I like them just fine – but overpenetration is not my focus, neutralizing the threat is. Fix that then deal with the consequences. I kind of joke about making the decision should a situation arise – AR? 12 Guage? .45? 9mm? .45-70? By the time I make up my mind I’d probably be dead.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I only read page 1 but you people are running more scared than the people lookin to break in for a quick score. I’ve been on this rock for 55 yrs in the metro and will never own nothing but shotguns, that are locked up. No wonder kids are getting their little fingers on guns…

walleye216

I only read page 1 but you people are running more scared than the people lookin to break in for a quick score. I’ve been on this rock for 55 yrs in the metro and will never own nothing but shotguns, that are locked up. No wonder kids are getting their little fingers on guns…

I agree with this statement. I can’t imagine going through life so scared of the world around me.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t know who’s running scared. But I do know that it’s far less likely the people who have a plan and the means to defend themselves and their loved ones than those who don’t and just think because it has not happened for 55 years means it won’t. Lots of people play the lottery every day and never win. But every once in awhile someone does. I don’t want to be one of those people who say, I just didn’t think it would happen to me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Swimjiggin wrote:</div>

I agree with this statement. I can’t imagine going through life so scared of the world around me.

Being prepared isn’t being scared. I don’t sit and worry about a home invasion. But I am ready for the day if it ever comes.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Some of these holier than thou comments…. crazy I suppose people who own life jackets must be paranoid to be on the water. doah

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

No, that’s the law big_g. Sure the day may come when someone tries to bash open a door in the house, go for it I say, see what happens. No night stand gun here, cuz I’m not afraid and no little kids will find loaded pistols stashed around the house, see the news lately. The pooches will give away your location, then your mine..

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The pooches will give away your location, then your mine..

Not saying your not capable….. but what’s your plan, you gonna go all Vandam on em? What if there armed? Have you thought this through at all. I understand the need to keep the guns away from the kids, just curious since your looking down on all of us what you had over us?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Laws to wear life jackets, laws against breaking and entering. Both get broken. I don’t see anyone advocating loaded pistols in nightstands. Does having a loaded pistol make one “afraid” unlike yourself… or maybe prepared.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I get what you guys are preaching, being prepared for the absolute worst-case scenario. Not me, it won’t happen. I just got back from Grizzly country, I felt more compelled carrying their than in downtown..

big_g
    Isle, MN

In grizzly country, I expect there could be a confrontation and would prepare likewise. In my home at 2am, I wouldn’t expect a confrontation, but will be prepared. Not for the worst case scenario, but for most. Nobody’s preaching and nobody is talking about walking downtown ? It’s home defense.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Laws to wear life jackets

Actually there is no law to wear it, unless you are a kid that’s 10 years old or less. They only have to be “accessible.”

Wish that law would get changed, but that’s another topic.

Riverrat

Lots of talk about movin to safer areas and going to get ’em. Most rural crimes are property crimes. If someone is in your shed in MN and you go get ’em you’re probably going to jail. A good bat could come in real handy in that situation. If you kill or injure them at the very least expect a lawsuit. Point is different environments have different needs. As far as keeping guns from kids, it’s been federal law to keep your guns from kids for some time. Look in the box of your most recent pistol purchase and there should be a flyer about it.

duh queen

I live in a rural area. The average Sheriff’s response time on weekends and nights is greater than 20 minutes,and usually more. Like riverrat says, most crime out here is property crime. But when you consider who the perps are, addicts, you never know how nutz they’ll become when caught/cornered. Thus, following the boy scout motto, I’m prepared. Prepared strategically, but more importantly, prepared mentally. If my family’s safety is threatened, I don’t expect to have the luxury to think things over in the heat of battle. If a perp enters my home unlawfully and there is even a hint of menace coming from him, it’s over. I will not allow the anti’s to dictate the safety of my family. If they want to kum-buy-yah with their invaders, that’s their choice. My family comes before their social agenda.

Deuces

I like the life jackets analogy. It’s easy to get sucked into the paranoia of it all and before you know it you or your family become afraid to travel out into the water of life.

Beast

Like DJ said, rural area you’re on your own for sometime before the good guys get to you, after the Jamie Clause incident a few years back, I don’t take any disturbance lightly. at my age, life in prison isn’t a deterrent, bust down my door and I will do everything in my power to put you in a bag before you leave.

tim hurley

Apologies if I am repeating something FTs question got a lot of replies, have not read all of them.
    All those guns in the world you want protection from and whose gun is the most likely to shoot you or a family member? Yours. You know that. But those stats come from the other idiots. Thats what the ‘idiots’ thought. Case you think I’m just some liberal, I’ll diss the liberal media-they make it seem like the majority of homicides are commited by mass killings when that makes up a small part of the whole. Undereported? The thousands of suicides. Not saying to not buy a gun just make sure its secured, and realisticaly consider if their is depression in your house. Lots of ways to kill yourself, those who choose guns tend to be successful. Oh and be careful categorizing good guys and bad guys, people are complicated.

Beast

Apologies if I am repeating something FTs question got a lot of replies, have not read all of them.
    All those guns in the world you want protection from and whose gun is the most likely to shoot you or a family member? Yours. You know that. But those stats come from the other idiots. Thats what the ‘idiots’ thought. Case you think I’m just some liberal, I’ll diss the liberal media-they make it seem like the majority of homicides are commited by mass killings when that makes up a small part of the whole. Undereported? The thousands of suicides. Not saying to not buy a gun just make sure its secured, and realisticaly consider if their is depression in your house. Lots of ways to kill yourself, those who choose guns tend to be successful. Oh and be careful categorizing good guys and bad guys, people are complicated.

And if you aren’t smart enough to secure your weapons when you know there will be kids around or haven’t taught your kids about guns from a early age then you shouldn’t own any

walleye216

I live in a rural area. The average Sheriff’s response time on weekends and nights is greater than 20 minutes,and usually more. Like riverrat says, most crime out here is property crime. But when you consider who the perps are, addicts, you never know how nutz they’ll become when caught/cornered. Thus, following the boy scout motto, I’m prepared. Prepared strategically, but more importantly, prepared mentally. If my family’s safety is threatened, I don’t expect to have the luxury to think things over in the heat of battle. If a perp enters my home unlawfully and there is even a hint of menace coming from him, it’s over. I will not allow the anti’s to dictate the safety of my family. If they want to kum-buy-yah with their invaders, that’s their choice. My family comes before their social agenda.

Not thinking things over during the moment seems like a pretty bad idea. Few good things happen when people shoot now and think later.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

And if you aren’t smart enough to secure your weapons when you know there will be kids around or haven’t taught your kids about guns from a early age then you shouldn’t own any

Bingo. Kids should be taught gun safety from the age of 3 at least in my house. My kids are very trained to have guns in the house, and at the same time they still will never have access to a fire arm with out my permission and access codes or finger prints. I mainly want them to be ready just in case a friend or some one is stupid enough to pull out a weapon later in life. Because kids can be stupid. Kids need to be trained way beyond basic gun safety

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Lifejackets being in the boat might be a state law, but firearm ownership is an unalienable right of man. Love it or hate it. You also have the right to not own one, and nobody is bashing you for that. Minneapolis has surpassed Chicago for violent crime per capita, and has routinely been in the top most dangerous cities in the Country for at least a decade.

Crime is still overall rare and not the norm, violent crime specifically is about 1 incident per 100 residents. But don’t kid yourself, Minnesota’s metro area is among the most dangerous.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But don’t kid yourself, Minnesota’s metro area is among the most dangerous.

Painting with a broad brush. Some parts of the metro are in fact full of riff raff.

But many suburbs are probably safer than most of the rest of the state. Head out to an affluent west suburb and people leave their garages full of audis, porsches, and bmw’s open all day long. The high cost of living and elevated property value keeps most crime out of the neighborhoods there.

Obviously parts of Mpls, St Paul, and first ring suburbs have a higher crime rate, including violent crime. Car jacking is an enormous problem right now.

I keep my firearms in a safe all the time unless I am using them. I’m way more worried about someone stealing them than I am about using them during a home invasion. They have a high value to me and replacing them would be costly.

duh queen

Not thinking things over during the moment seems like a pretty bad idea. Few good things happen when people shoot now and think later.

You misunderstand what I’m saying. One needs to know and be prepared to act before something takes place because while it’s happening, you’ll be too occupied to “multitask”. Let’s take athletics as an example. Why do we practice? Why do we work through game day scenarios? So we’re prepared to act if/when the happen. Think muscle memory. If you’re playing center field but have never practiced it, or even watched a game before, how do you know what to do and where to be on a grounder hit to the SS? Without practice, both of the mental/strategic portion of the game, along with the physical running/catching/throwing/backing-up portion, what do you do if the SS muffs it? That’s the type of thinking you won’t have the time to ponder if you’re already engaged with a bad guy. That’s why being prepared is so important.
    That said, it doesn’t mean you need to enroll in hundreds of hours worth of classes & training. You just “….need to know your limitations…” and factor that into your actions. If a baddie enters my home with what a reasonable person would interpret as evil intent, he exits in a box. Period. I’ve steeled myself ahead of time that that is what I’ll do, knowing there won’t be time to have some deep philosophical discussion with myself while all h*ll breaking loose around me. But that’s me. I’ve been a hunter/sportsman my entire adult life. I understand firearms. When/where to use them, and when not to.
    I had several run-ins with a local drug dealer(known to law enforcement) more than 30 yeas ago when my kids were in grade school. He threatened me and my family. I made those threats known to the proper authorities so it was on the record (should he show up deceased on my property). A side note here: Knowing their poor response time in my area, law enforcement encouraged me to prepare for a possible attack/assault on me, my family, or my home. Part of that prep was to plant a few rumors that I was a maybe little bit crazy, twitchy, over zealous, in defending me and mine.
    It’s remarkable what a “sketchy” reputation can do in repelling unwanted guests.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.