Home Defense – What would you choose

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Criminals and rioters with hotdogs… jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Criminals and rioters with hotdogs…

I don’t think he is wrong about it happening, probably not rioters, but I’ve heard of drugging a dog and putting it to sleep before breaking and entering. So it’s not to funny. It is something to keep in mind. But what I don’t get it how the dog wouldn’t bark before the person was inside? Unless you keep your mutt out side, but we don’t do that

Riverrat

Sadly my dog is a visual deterrent only. But sometimes that’s enough. It’s mostly methheads around here so the dog getting stolen is probably the most likely outcome. And he farts. Alot.

Umy
    South Metro

The Glock, under my bed in a handgun safe.
    I agree that the shotgun or rifles are too big.
    I want something quick and easy to maneuver but still with decent stopping power. That’s why it’s got proper human stopping ammo in it – not the range ammo.
    Also, close to 15,000 rounds through that thing – not once a jam

critter 1

Short barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun. No greater deterrent when a round is racked into the chamber. Loaded with all .00 buckshot. Too much penetration with some handgun and rifle rounds. Baseball bat and bear spray not bad either if deadly force is not an option,

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Short barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Far easier to be accurate with too. Point and shoot. Wide target area almost guaranteed to hit a portion of the target. The one disadvantage is limited range but with home defense I assume we’re talking close range to begin with.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

870, 2 rnds of 00 buck followed by slugs and buck alternating. 18″ barrel. I run a 7 rnd wilson combat tube, so I’ve got 8 total. Hope I never have to use it. If I do, and 8 is not sufficient, well then I guess my problems are much worse than I could have imagined.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

To quote Bob Dylan: “Honey, how come you don’t MOVE?” grin

stevenoak

Most any shotgun you’ve got. Unless you need an excuse to buy something new. Even if neighbors or family members are not in harm’s way of a single projectile. Probably will be low light conditions {unless you live with my wife and her 10 nightlights}. Like said, if 5 shots aren’t enough, you’re in a bad spot or panicked and unloaded into the ceiling. But I wouldn’t recommend taking a bat to a possible gun altercation. As far as the dog. No drugs needed. 2 dog biscuits and he’ll hold the door for you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As far as the dog. No drugs needed. 2 dog biscuits and he’ll hold the door for you.

The dog is not to maul and eat the bad Guy. The dog is to alert you there is a intruder, if your dog doesn’t bark before the intruder is in the house to offer it a biscuit then you should probably retrain or re think your dog of choice. Our shepherd is trained to not alert to folks on the side walk but once in the yard she herds the kids and barks like mad. That’s all the dog is supposed to do. We had one incident where she bit a neighbor on the ass and drug him to the side walk, he ran up the drive way to scare my son and didn’t think the dog would react. The dog did exactly what it was trained for

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

To the OP what exactly is riot control? Honestly wtf r u expecting to do, cap off a dozen libby teens wanting to take down your trump flag or what? Serious question.

The Riot control I was referring to was when a larger group of Criminals attempt to enter my home or place of business to do damage and or harm someone. And yes, if this is a dozen Libby teens doing so to Cap them off. Just because they are Libby teens does not mean they can not be criminals or have to suffer the consequences of their criminal activity.

stevenoak

He’s an 80# Lab that sounds to be about #300 when you hear him bark. Very deep bark that he lets us know someone’s outside. But limited to about 2 barks. He has never been tested with a serious threat. But when our old dog would get scared by noises. He would lay between him and the noise.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It seems to me a lot of you guys haven’t put much thought into this. We had our house broken into and luckily we weren’t home. However, it made me think long and hard about the best way to deal with break ins and I got some actual training on it.

A dog will likely deter a criminal if it barks. You need a dog like BC mentioned. That’s not always an option for some.

A visible security system and motion lights are critical.

If someone gets in your house it will be the middle of the night and they will be quiet. If they are bold enough to come in when someone is likely home they aren’t going to make a bunch of noise and alert you. If you do wake up, it will take about 5-10 seconds for you get get oriented. You’ll be waking up from sleep so you won’t be totally alert. That’s why escape and evade is critical. The chances of you even getting to a gun and being prepared to use it is minimal. Your adrenaline will be in overdrive and you won’t be thinking very clear. If you do get to a gun, likely the criminal has already taken off or they are on top of you. A seasoned criminal, willing to come in your house, and to confront you, will have a weapon and have the drop on you. Time to fight with everything you have as the weapon is probably useless at this point. If you are serious about home and family protection take some Krav Maga classes and learn how to fight to end a fight.

Most criminals are opportunistic. Even the most minimal attempts to thwart them will have them move on to another target. However, layers of prevention are critical. Just having a gun in the bed stand doesn’t cut it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If someone gets in your house it will be the middle of the night and they will be quiet.

3 roommates of mine and I were robbed in South Mpls in 2010. It occurred during the middle of the day, broad daylight, when we were all at work. We had an alarm system in our duplex but they left before the authorities arrived. We did not have a dog. We were all unmarried and recently out of college, starting new jobs at the time.

The detective said they probably knew we were all gone so they had been “scouting” our property. He also said that most burglars want nothing to do with confrontation, so they come when no one is around.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    If someone gets in your house it will be the middle of the night and they will be quiet.

3 roommates of mine and I were robbed in South Mpls in 2010. It occurred during the middle of the day, broad daylight, when we were all at work. We had an alarm system in our duplex but they left before the authorities arrived. We did not have a dog. We were all unmarried and recently out of college, starting new jobs at the time.

The detective said they probably knew we were all gone so they had been “scouting” our property. He also said that most burglars want nothing to do with confrontation, so they come when no one is around.

I agree…the detective told us out break in was likely a crime of opportunity. They saw us leave and kicked out door in. Didn’t even steal anything but rifled through almost every room. He said they were looking for cash or prescription drugs.

I’m referencing in the last post if you get in a real self defense situation it’s a different ball game than what it sounds like you and I had happen.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

It concerns me all of the answers on here stating 00 buck, when it has been proven time and time again to penetrate much more than you would want in a home defense scenario. Unless you’re single or have no kids, I wouldn’t want anything with a high likelihood of going through my walls and hurting my family and/or neighbors.

Jimmy Jones

I have a .50 cal in-line muzzleloading pistol that I could put a moderate squib powder charge in and just use paper packing in the barrel, no bullet. Within 15 feet the muzzle blast would likely rip ears off and blind anyone in front of it. However, I won’t advertise here any gun, muzzleloader or otherwise, as being loaded or unloaded in the house…. that’s for me to know. We lock at night and have never felt in harm’s way.

Brad Dimond

It concerns me all of the answers on here stating 00 buck, when it has been proven time and time again to penetrate much more than you would want in a home defense scenario. Unless you’re single or have no kids, I wouldn’t want anything with a high likelihood of going through my walls and hurting my family and/or neighbors.

Agreed. A former roommate who is a retire sheriff told me that #4 buckshot is optimal in a shotgun. It won’t penetrate a frame wall unless shot from very close range but still isn’t something you want to be in front of.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

Agreed. A former roommate who is a retire sheriff told me that #4 buckshot is optimal in a shotgun. It won’t penetrate a frame wall unless shot from very close range but still isn’t something you want to be in front of.

#3 or #4 buck shot would both be excellent choices. I get the point about the passthrough penetration on 00 buck, but it is still let than most handgun round ( Hollow points included ) and on AR rounds.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

My home layout allows me to run 00 buck. It’s been proven time and time again to stop threats, period. Unlike some, I have and do put a significant amount of thought and effort into this stuff. I live further from “help” than I did when I grew up. I reside between my children and the most opportunistic ingress points. Of course this will change as my kids get older, but then you have to consider them coming home late, etc. and be much more prepared to assess a bump in the night prior to opening fire.

mark Mason

We all seem to live further from “help” than we used to. In North Minneapolis, last time data was released, code 3 (lights and sirens) calls averaged over 12 minutes to arrival. A lot can happen in 12 minutes. Fire response was less than 5 minutes. It seems like I could drive a long way in 12 minutes if you allowed me to use lights and sirens.

picklerick
    Central WI

Crocodile moat in summertime and booby traps in the winter. If they’re not into boobies or haven’t become croc food, then I might have various guns conveniently located.

Riverrat

Booby traps and croc pits don’t work on the serious motorboaters.

duh queen

My Alley Sweeper loaded with #2 magnum turkey loads, backed up with a pistol loaded with frangible (think Mag-Safe) rounds. . . . . . And a really big dog to clean up what’s left.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Crocodile moat in summertime and booby traps in the winter. If they’re not into boobies or haven’t become croc food, then I might have various guns conveniently located.

Being I’m half Aussie, I’ll go for the in-floor shark tank but I do appreciate the creativity.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>picklerick wrote:</div>

Being I’m half Aussie, I’ll go for the in-floor shark tank but I do appreciate the creativity.

Sharks with lasers in the tank I assume?

picklerick
    Central WI

I had considered the sharks but at the time these signs were backordered due to supply chain issues. I didn’t want to deal with that kind of liability. With crocs you just need to have petting zoo signage.

Attachments:
    1. sharks.png

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

My primary deterrent is that I bear a descent resemblance to this character and process what most would say is an even more badger like disposition.

Kidding aside (sort of), I don’t live anywhere that I’d be genuinely concerned about home invasion being a high possibility and if I did I would be moving. I still have precautions in place though but that is for me to know and whatever unfortunate soul who dared try to find out.

Attachments:
    1. download-1.jpeg

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sharks with fricken lazer beams !!! doah jester

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.