High price trolling rods, why?

• basseyes

I’d recommend saving some money on trolling rods and reallocating the extra funds on better reels.

For younger anglers or people getting into fishing this holds true almost across the board for fishing in general and is sound advice for bulking up gear over time.

huntinforfish

Glad this topic is on here today. I want to do more trolling this year and would like to get one or two set ups. What would you recommend for a beginner? I played with boards a bit last year but it sucked as I do not currently have the gear for it. Should I shoot for a combo with braid on one set up and lead core on another? I fish all over the place so nothing to specific as far as needs go. Just look for advice for more tools to use when out. Thanks! Anyone know of any articles or previous discussions I should check out?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Considering bass rods will open up your options considerably. My best trolling rods are bass pro telescoping rods designed for pitching jigs. They were $59-$69 when I purchased them. There are dozens of configurations available in these types of rods and many are perfect for trolling rigs.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

sometimes the money spent isn’t just about the way the product performs.

i’ve got some custom casting rods and trolling rods, for both walleyes and muskies, made by guys for whom that’s their only job. if you can swing it, it’s good to give your money to a guy who’s making rods one at a time in his basement in Minnesota using blanks made right here in the United States. they perform about the same as much less expensive imported stock rods, but i value the feeling of knowing i spent some extra to keep it local.

plus, they’re way cooler. waytogo

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Spend what you are comfortable with. I can’t imagine needing top of the line gear just to troll but I rarely do it. I got a $100 limit on any rod. My HMG is a beautiful rod and I love the feel of it but I gotta say, my 20 year old guide series rarely misses bites still. I don’t think I will ever retire it. Too bad it don’t have a fish counter on it because it has to be getting close to 1000?

Scott Estes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kelly Jordan wrote:</div>
    I use okuma deadeye trolling rods I got for 49 each. I do like the med moderate, as I pull mini planer boards so don’t need an expensive rod for that. I have 2 St. Croix eyecon 7 ft med/mod bouncer rod for pulling 3 ways, big difference there

Okuma Coldwater downrigger rods for me. $69 retail but you can find them for under $50 if you catch them on sale. I have an assortment of “expensive” trolling rods in storage that haven’t seen the light of day in years.

Im not disagreeing with anyone here, an angler with money in their pocket can spend it the way they choose, but I’d recommend saving some money on trolling rods and reallocating the extra funds on better reels.

Would you happen to have the model # of the specific Okuma rod you’re referring to? Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.