Help me decide – New Carry Handgun

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You are one of the few people who say they are Faster with open iron sights.

He is not the only one I have heard say it. I was watching one of the shooting shows on outdoor channel and they mentioned the same thing, and it was a higher end caliber shooter saying it. The only thing I have used with any sort of red dot, was a scope on a buddies AR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s where a laser excels. I doesn’t need to be up to a person eye. In fact they can be shot from just out of the holster as long as a person can see the dot.

Laser or not, always practice with the iron sights… Hunting, target shooting ect is completely different then personal protection carry.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I really like my Ruger LCR 38 Special with Crimson Tide grips, small and light enough to fit in a pocket and no way no how it can go off accidently. The Crimson Tide grips are great the way the button for the laser to come on with out any thought just grip the handle and it comes on. Surprisingly accurate for being a short barreled gun.

rsee

The Glock has three safeties: trigger safety, trigger bar safety (can’t see it), and firing pin safety (can’t see it either). My Glocks get inspected annually. Cleaned after each training/range session. All OEM parts. My experience is they are the easiest to work on and change parts when needed.

All that being said, my favorite pistol to shoot, that feels the best in my hand, is a S&W M&P 2.0. I have replaced the OEM trigger with an Apex Duty/Carry trigger. I found that with the OEM S&W M&P 2.0 trigger, my finger walked across the trigger with fast follow-up shots.

However, when I tried the Apex trigger in my Glocks, I could not duplicate fast follow-up shots. I went back to my OEM Glocks triggers.

I like the red dot optics (RDO). I have a Trijicon RMR. Trijicon makes the RMRCC for smaller pistols and concealed carry, hence the CC. Have not shot a pistol with a RMRCC yet. Just smaller. There are many advantages to using a RDO. I think one can argue for or against RDOs in any given situation.

I can see why people like a visible safety lever on the exterior of the pistol slide and frame, but unless you pull the trigger while the safety is on, you still have no way of knowing whether the visible safety is working or not either. If you are pulling the trigger (testing) on a pistol with the safety on you really only know that the safety worked at that moment. There is nothing to say the safety won’t fail after you tested it. You cannot see the internal safety parts either.

A lot of it comes down to what someone is comfortable and confident with.

Based on my experience, Glocks have a reputation to fire when needed, but like anything else, it can fail. Anything can happen.

I have never shot or owned a Hi-Point pistol, but I have heard they have a good reputation for firing when needed. Mostly the negative I have heard about Hi-Point pistols is the looks.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.