Help me decide – New Carry Handgun

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I currently have a M & P Shield 2.0 compact but am looking to get a new carry gun. I’m going to be either buying one with a optical sight or putting one on this new handgun. A eye condition is making it tougher and tougher for me to see both the open sights and the target well, so I think a optical sight is the answer. I’ve pretty much narrowed down my choices to the follow 3 guns:

Ruger Max 9
    Sig. P365 in either the X or the XL model – Really not sure if a 1/2 longer barrel in the XL is much of an advantage
    Springfield Hellcat

There are things I like about all three models. I have plans to go shoot all three next Tues. at a local range that has all three available to rent.
    FYI – For those in the Saint cloud area – Tactical advantage has 1/2 price range fee’s and 1/2 price gun rental on Tuesdays. If you are looking to try out a bunch of different guns this is a great low cost place to do so.

Of the 3 I have only shot the Hellcat. I shot it in both the standard model and the RDP model with a Compensator on it. The standard model was loud as hell and had lots of Muzzle jump ( Then I’m guessing that both the other models do as well ) The RDP version was MUCH milder for sure. I really like shooting that model ( with the compensator and the optical sight is is rather spendy ) Then again with a optical sight I guessing both the other models are close to the same price point

I curious on the thought of those here who own or have shot any of these three models. If there are any other models you think I should look at m open to your suggestions and thoughts on those as well.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If you’re not opposed to Glock, throw the 43, 43X, and 48 into mix. I carry the 43X and am a fan.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you’re not opposed to Glock, throw the 43, 43X, and 48 into mix. I carry the 43X and am a fan.

I’m not really sure why but I must be the only person in the world who is not a glock fan. I’ve shot various models and have not liked any of them. To me the grips are not comfortable and I shoot poorly with them. I also like having a external safety and Glocks don’t have any available with one that I’m aware of. If they have the 43X in the rental area I’ll have to give it a try.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m not really sure why but I must be the only person in the world who is not a glock fan. I’ve shot various models and have not liked any of them.

I’m in your corner. Fine guns, but I don’t find them comfortable.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nice to know I’m not the only one. Ever where I go and most everyone I talk to always say ” Get A Glock ”

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    I’m not really sure why but I must be the only person in the world who is not a glock fan. I’ve shot various models and have not liked any of them.

I am too. It sucks because they are very good quality guns.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I own mostly Glocks, but I have shot all three of those guns. I prefer the P365 over the Hellcat.

Having a little bit longer barrel doesn’t hurt anything. It’s always the grip that’s hardest to conceal anyways.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>

I’m not really sure why but I must be the only person in the world who is not a glock fan. I’ve shot various models and have not liked any of them. To me the grips are not comfortable and I shoot poorly with them. I also like having a external safety and Glocks don’t have any available with one that I’m aware of. If they have the 43X in the rental area I’ll have to give it a try.

I felt the same way up until about a year and a half ago. This is my first Glock. I too was not overly impressed with the feel of them in the past. The 43X and 48 are a different feel. Don’t blame you for the safety preference.

toddrun

I own mostly Glocks, but I have shot all three of those guns. I prefer the P365 over the Hellcat.

Having a little bit longer barrel doesn’t hurt anything. It’s always the grip that’s hardest to conceal anyways.

I agree with Pat, of the 3, the P365 worked best for me. Have 3 buddies with the Hellcat that do not like them as well as they expected.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

BTW, how do you like Tactical Advantage? I’ve heard good things, but never been there. I’ve been thinking it might be fun to take the FW there sometime to burn some powder.

Adam Steffes

I don’t care for glock grip angle…just because I used other things and learned to shoot those. I have had good luck with my springfield (xdm, xds and 1911) guns so I would probably go that route based on confidence and familiarity. Probably can’t go wrong with any of them. Agree with Pat that the grip is the hard part to conceal and width is the enemy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not trying to convert any Glock haters, but just wondering…

Since people always say there’s a safety issue with Glocks not having a dedicated safety, has anyone known one to go off because there wasn’t a dedicated safety on them? I’m somewhere past 15 years of fulltime carry and never heard of one or experience one myself.

I don’t care for the larger framed glocks for carry of course but the 26 holds enough ammo and shoots straight enough at 15′.

Off topic I guess.

I don’t think I’ve shot the Ruger but I’m with Pat on this…”P365 over the Hellcat.” But it really depends on the size of your hands (and fingers too I spose).

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I would never dispute the Glock’s quality and reliability…just have never shot one that felt “good” in my hand. I’m an old school S&W semiauto guy. They just fit well in my hands for whatever reason.

My BIL raves about the Hellcat he carries. It looks like a sharp piece but I haven’t had the chance to shoot it yet. I am looking for my own birthday present and would love a new 9mm that doesn’t break the bank and is easy to carry.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Wait, there was a police officer (in Hastings I believe) that hung his service Glock on a coat hanger in the bathroom of a Burger King(?) and it went off.

I guess there is one at least.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

But it really depends on the size of your hands (and fingers too I spose).

I have rather small hands , so a lot of the issues that others have with Sub compact size guns doesn’t seem to be a issue with me. With the extended mag I have no problem getting a full grip on any of the one’s listed above. As far as having a external safety or not, I just prefer one with one. My wife also shoots with me and I just feel more comfortable with her when there is a external safety. I Myself don’t know of anyone who owns a glock ever having a accidental discharge, but from time to time you hear or read about it happening. Its possible these same accidents may have happened even with a external safety. Poor safe handling is poor safe handling no matter what type of a firearm you have.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Ultimately, you’re going about it the right way by trying several options. You’ll know which one is right. I don’t think you can go wrong with any that have been mentioned.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I feel like someone needs to add the standard IDO reply, buy them all! If one is good, more is better.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

BTW, how do you like Tactical Advantage? I’ve heard good things, but never been there. I’ve been thinking it might be fun to take the FW there sometime to burn some powder.

I have only shot there a few times and looked at a few guns there. They seem to be really good. Their gun prices seem a bit high. I asked if they would price match other stores and they said only local ones here in Saint Cloud. I asked if they would match Cabelas in Roger’s – They said No. Cabela’s has one of the guns I’m interested in 30.00 or so less. I would prefer to buy local and give a smaller business my $. For 30.00 I’ll probably just give the local business my money. Just wish they would have priced matched and made the decision real easy.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I feel like someone needs to add the standard IDO reply, buy them all! If one is good, more is better.

It sure would be nice if that was a option. It’s probably is a option, but I think the divorce would end up costing me way more than those 3 handguns jester frown chased That would be my wife chasing me with the kitchen meat cleaver and I just sharpened it – That would leave a mark !!!

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

(Wait, there was a police officer (in Hastings I believe) that hung his service Glock on a coat hanger in the bathroom of a Burger King(?) and it went off.)

Ok I would bet a paycheck that idiot cop (rookie) was sitting on the toilet playing with his new gun and he Negligently discharged! but to save face and his job he said it was in his holster.

I am only aware of a few examples of where a thumb safety would have made a difference and they usually involve a garment drawstring during the re-holstering process I personally am aware of one such incident in my agency and he shot himself in the leg re-holstering a sig p226

I carry the Glock 43x every day and love it! best part is shield arms make a 15+1 mag for it ultra compact pistol with same capacity as a Glock 19

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oldie but a goodie…

tornadochaser

Of the three listed, sig or ruger.
    Hellcats have had major issues with the RDO flying off.

The subcompact 1″ wide carry gun market is exploding right now. Models from Savage, Taurus, Mossberg, Kimber all getting good reviews so far (yes even the kimber is getting good reviews). I’m interested in the new Savage, they seem to have really upped the quality since their reorganization.

If I hit another 10 bagger on a stock purchase I just made I’ll be getting the Wilson Combat EDC X9 or SFX9. cool

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Like Pat said above, extra barrel is generally irrelevant for concealment, but the benefits in velocity are well worth it.

I’d just go rent each one if that’s feasible for you. Typically $15 to rent them. Buy whichever you shoot best and feels best in the hand.

I will say the dot seems great and for your case (vision issue) it will probably be helpful. I’ve drawn optic equipped handguns from holsters and still haven’t figured out how to quickly acquire that dot. I’m much, much faster with irons but also that’s what I’ve practiced for 10+ years.

toddrun

Hellcats have had major issues with the RDO flying off.

This is operator error, RDO installed incorrectly. RDO’s are installed by the selling store/company, not at the factory, and are being installed incorrectly. SA is standing behind the damage done by incorrectly installed RDO’s though, in most cases.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth. I bought a S&W .380 from a friend. It came with a laser.

The only way to turn the laser on is to push the button at the end of the barrel. For a personal protection carry weapon, the laser is totally worthless.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For what it’s worth. I bought a S&W .380 from a friend. It came with a laser.

The only way to turn the laser on is to push the button at the end of the barrel. For a personal protection carry weapon, the laser is totally worthless.

These days I would never own a Lazer. Now a red dot is total different and the way I’m going to go. Lazers seemed the way to go until the quality of the red dot optics greatly improved. both gun stores I’ve visited said they don’t think there will will be a handgun made in the near future that isn’t already drilled for a optic to be mounted.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I really like the sight setup on the Hellcat. Love the U rear and the Tritium and Luminescent Combo front sight. The Ruger also has the same Front sight but the standard rear. Not a big fan of the tritium sight on the Sig. My eyes just don’t pick up that sight well at all. If I go the optic sight route ( which I plan to ) then the open sight is not as big of a deal. I would still want the option to co witness the open sights so its still a factor to me. Being able to co witness the open sights will be a big factor on what Optic I choose. The optic that the hellcat comes with allows you to see the open sight great. I can not remember if the optic on the Sig. does or not. It comes with RomeoZero and I don’t think that optic allows for view of the open sight.

Looking forward to going and shooting many different guns next Tues. Hopefully one gun really stands out to me and make the decision easier.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Red Dot Optics are sure fun to shoot, but I don’t think I would recommend one on a carry pistol unless your eye sight is bad, (cant see irons). I have a Vortex Venom on a G34 that I have shot some USPSA matches with. I’m sure i’ve shot several thousand rounds through it. It has definitely failed me a few times, bad battery connection and weak battery seem to always be the reason. I have suppressor height iron sites on it for that reason. The only red dot I would trust is a Trijicon RMR.

I would say i’m definitely more accurate with a red dot especially at long range. I’m still faster with irons at close to medium range.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Red Dot Optics are sure fun to shoot, but I don’t think I would recommend one on a carry pistol unless your eye sight is bad, (cant see irons). I have a Vortex Venom on a G34 that I have shot some USPSA matches with. I’m sure i’ve shot several thousand rounds through it. It has definitely failed me a few times, bad battery connection and weak battery seem to always be the reason. I have suppressor height iron sites on it for that reason. The only red dot I would trust is a Trijicon RMR.

I would say i’m definitely more accurate with a red dot especially at long range. I’m still faster with irons at close to medium range.

Pat

The reasons you give is why the ability to co witness the open sights is a big factor in the optic I’m going to choose.

You are one of the few people who say they are Faster with open iron sights. Most of the top shooters are the two local ranges say the opposite. In fact most of them have a optic on their own personal carry guns.

My old poor eye site is also a factor in wanting to go with a optical sight. Its getting harder and harder for me to focus on the sights at the same time as the target.

The Trijicon RMR is one of the optics on my list to try. A few years ago lots of shooters had your same view on them. These days a lot of those same shooters are trying and often switching to some of the newer models.

I’ve done a fair amount of research on the pro’s and con’s of a optical sight for carry guns. Most of the con’s have been lessened in recent years ( Size, weight, reliabilty, difficulty mounting, not being able to see and use open sights, ect ) I think with a fair amount of practice with one, the pro’s out way the con’s for my current situation.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

You obviously have the right mentality with it. I’m sure you will be happy with whichever direction you head in!

Part of my reluctance with the whole red dot craze is that they are not all created equal, and there is a lot of cheap junk out there. Especially the little ones that fit on top of small frame pistols like the Hellcat or P365.

You are one of the few people who say they are Faster with open iron sights. Most of the top shooters are the two local ranges say the opposite. In fact most of them have a optic on their own personal carry guns.

I’m definitely not a top shooter, I usually only shoot a handful of club matches a year.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.