Humminbird Info

• inskom

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the Humminbird definitions and compatibility sometimes. I figured I’d start a ‘catch-all’ thread where people could go to find the most frequently asked questions. I will try to edit this first post to keep this up to date and information at the top.

What do the abbreviations stand for?

#### = model series

c = color display

i = internal GPS receiver

DI = Down Imaging

SI = Side Imaging

NVB = Navionics Value Bundle

Combo = Sonar and GPS features are on this product

Chartplotter = GPS features are on this product, Sonar is Not

CHO = “Control Head Only” no transducer included, even though sonar features are part of the model

HD 700 Series = LED backlit, Ethernet compatible with a $30 adapter cable

Non-HD 700 series = NOT LED backlit, NOT ethernet compatible

HD 800/900 Series = LED backlit, Ethernet port on the back of the unit

Non-HD 800/900 Series = NOT LED backlit, Ethernet port on the back of the unit

Non-HD 1100 Series = There are no ‘non-HD’ units in the 1100 series, therefore no 1100 series have HD in their model name

As I think of more items, I’ll try to add to the list. If you have questions, post here or other places and I’ll try to keep adding to this.

Hope it helps clear up some confusion for some users.

nug
    central iowa

Good post…thanks

Nug

inskom

More ethernet info:

800 series = All of the 800 series have an ethernet port on the back
    900 series = Only the 958’s and 998’s have an ethernet port. All other 900 series do NOT have ethernet capability.

irishman

Dumb question time. What is the benefit or drawback of Ethernet capable units?

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

The benifit is that they are able to share waypoints

Denny O
    Central IOWA

They can share all information with the exception of “carded” mapping software.

There may be something that I’m not thinking of, and there may also be something that the up comming software for the I-Pilot Link system might use.

inskom

averagejoe, interlink lets you share waypoints between units also.

There are no drawbacks of the ethernet. That’s the direction they’re headed with linking up accessories to the depthfinders. Only positive things to come! I guess the drawback is, the cables are pricey.

Benefits of Ethernet over Interlink,

You can hook two units directly to one another with an ethernet cable. For non ethernet units, you would need to use the interlink box to hook them up together.

Also, sonar information. Sonar data is not shared over interlink. Sonar is shared between units with ethernet (example, if I want to read sonar from the trolling motor transducer from the steering console instead of the transom, you can do so with a unit linked with ethernet). There are a few caveats to this, like the sonar info from a DI unit is only readable on other DI units.

And probably the most important if you are thinking about the I-Pilot Link. You have to have an ethernet capable unit to link your depthfinder to the trolling motor. You can’t do it with interlink. It needs to be done with ethernet.

Hope that helps.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Great explanation

I don’t have interlink, so I wasn’t sure what it’s capabilities were

inskom

Comparison of the screen sizes of the different units.
    I.E. – 898 screen is 68% larger than 798. 998 screen is 31% larger than 898. 1198 screen is 82% larger than 998.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.