Map Card Sharing?

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

I just got Humminbird 1198 & 998 for my boat. Going to install the “Y” connector and run both transducers on the rear of my I/O drive. I will connect the “Y” cable to the 1198 on the dash and run the eithernet cable to the 998 and hook up the US2 to it as well.

Q, A Lakemaster chip or any other brand pluged into either unit will not be seen by the other unit. Is that correct?

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

A Lakemaster chip or any other brand pluged into either unit will not be seen by the other unit. Is that correct?

Unfortuanetly, that is correct.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Why must we have to get two maping cards? One for driving and the general search, and an other to fish out of the front of the boat?

They already share info between them. Heck I can see what is on my daughters screen 2000 miles away over a Skype connection, why not a map card?

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

It’s no different then having 2 computers connected on a network. They both need to have separate licensed copies of the software installed.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Them lakemaster would only sell one chip and everyone would sell copies. If you can share between units then it can be copied in one way or another. Just wait until you buy a couple LOTW chips, Wisconsin chips, Canada Chips, MN chips…

Denny O
    Central IOWA

But that would be two computer screens in one boat. I’m not talking about copying anything. Just the ability to see the other screen in the same darn boat!

And by the way Kroger, there are 3 more that I’m going to have to buy doubles on on top of rhe ones that you have mentioned. It is still a crock In My Opnion!

turkeynate
    Iowa

Denny they could share the maps and double the cost to do so, pick your poison. Should have gone Lowrance anyway… Ha! Just teasing!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Denny they could share the maps and double the cost to do so, pick your poison. Should have gone Lowrance anyway… Ha! Just teasing!

And Lowrance does not share the maps as well, Nate. That is what I’m told. You’re other post is so 9 seconds ago Nate.

Really though, I’m still wondering what the “other announcement might be this fall on another item we talked about. One is out of the bag.

turkeynate
    Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

And Lowrance does not share the maps as well, Nate. That is what I’m told. You’re other post is so 9 seconds ago Nate.

Denny your starting to sound like a 12 yr old girl with your rip off of a cell phone commercial!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

to keep it in proper perspective, buying a 2nd Lakemaster mapchip represents only 2% of the total cost of that new network you just purchased.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

You are not wrong, but if you watch the penny’s the dollars, they take care of them selves. Would you agree?

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Quote:

You are not wrong, but if you watch the penny’s the dollars, they take care of them selves. Would you agree?

Sure, of course. In those cases (like this) where there’s no option to save that small percentage, I ask myself: is it worth it? Paying for a second map card is well worth it in my experience, although it IS a pain when you’re buying multiple doubles to cover various states or regions.

I have the same network you just bought, and I bet you’re going to love what you can do with it. If you do much trolling, I suggest installing your 2nd SI transducer on your trolling motor (you can get a special mount to protect it); you can view it on your console/rear screen over the network while driving and that 20′ jump-start on seeing what’s off to the sides is very handy for boat control and bait placement.

have fun!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks Lambeau,
    I’m using both of my transducers on the rear of my I/O splitting the right and the left w/ the y cable. I’ll also use another splitter for a high speed transducer.

With my old setup I was having issues loosing depth at speeds on plane and in a little choppier water. I’ve come to understand with the rivited hulls with out the step up design this is a problem with some boats.

I was also missing some of the right side of my side imaging due to the motor seemingly blocking the picture. And this is common on I/O drives I’m beining told.

“Humminbird Greg” from Humminbird, Dr. Jason Halfen, well you guys know him, Doug Vahrenberg, who is one of the best in the know guys for the Birds and all my friends here on IDO have been very instramental in guiding me for my new setup and resolving the issues I had in the past.

Ya, I’m getting excited like a kid in the candy store to get it set up. Then I need to get my electronics that I’m replacing sold.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.