Have you ever been so inspired???

• Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Have you ever been so inspired by a thread on a forum it moved you to do something?

Yesterday I read Mrpike1973’s post “I Hate Thieves!!!” and witnessed other anglers digging in their wallets to help a fellow angler out of a tough spot. Gear isn’t cheap and this show of generosity moved me.

Someone in the thread had mentioned taking pictures of everything and writing important information on the back. Which gave me the idea of creating an Access database that would automate the process and can be kept on a memory stick or a cloud or any other method of storage you should choose.

I was so inspired I was able to pound out a database in just a few hours. It’s nothing fancy but it seems to do the job. With that said I’m looking for testers or critics or just someone that wants to check it out and let me know your thoughts or issues you run into and so on. But you have to have Microsoft Access to make it work.

I could also use some advice on how to make this available to those who do not have Access on their computers. That would open it up to anyone who wants to use it.

If you are interested give me your email address and I’ll email it to you. Unless we can figure out a way to post it on here for all to download.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Kevin

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

What would it do that putting pics in a folder on the computer couldn’t? Curious what your database does…can u explain?

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Another easy way do document everything is to get in your boat, turn the video on on your phone and start going through everything. Make sure to focus on individual items like rods so the model numbers are visible. Also narrate as you go. In ten minutes you’ll have a good record of all your electronics, rods, tackle and miscellaneous items.

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

What would it do that putting pics in a folder on the computer couldn’t? Curious what your database does…can u explain?

Well I have created 3 catagories.

One is Boat. In that you can log the hull number and other details pertaining to your boat, then there is Outboard to log the vin#, Oil Filter #, Gas Filter# and so on for you outboard, next is Trailer to log it’s Vin# wheel base, bearings numbers and so on. All of which have a spot for pictures of each item.

The next one is Gear to log all your serial #’s, purchase cost, warranties and so on. Along with pictures.

Then I added a fishing log to log the fish you catch, time of day, wind, weather, location, lures used and so on. along with pictures.

I’ll attempt to attach some screen captures.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Capture-Trailer.png

2. Screen-Capture-Outboard.png

3. Screen-Capture-Boat.png

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

3 more

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Capture-Fish-Log-2.png

2. Screen-Capture-Fish-Log-1.png

3. Screen-Capture-Gear.png

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I photo vin numbers.
    Take pictures of some of the rest.
    Never wanted to be reminded how much i’ve spent.

I see the value in what you created but it’s not for me personaly.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m assuming the database would all be searchable? The fishing log is the most interesting to me. I try and write stuff down but I never stay with it and there’s no way to search.

I’ll give it a try….I’m picking up my new boat Friday so I’m straightening everything up now.

[email protected]

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Database sent Matt. You are spot on that it will need to be searchable. That is an area I’m a little weaker on but I’m going to try to do my best. I am open to any suggestions you may have regarding searches.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Got it – I’ll play around with a bit and get you some feedback. I think the searches could be kept pretty simple for the fishing log. Maybe body of water, fish type, time of year?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

It would be cool to also have a trip planning / packing tab.
    Looks good so far.
    Wayne

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

It would be cool to also have a trip planning / packing tab.
    Looks good so far.
    Wayne

Tell me more Wayne… What are your thoughts in regard to trip planning and packing?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.