Handicap accessories for a boat

• Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

Hello
    I have read comments from different posters regarding fishing with disabled Vets. I thought someone could possibly share some ideas with me based on their experiences or observations.

My Sister, age 70, lost her husband a short time ago. She has always loved to fish and asked me twice this summer to go with her to a couple of the local fishing piers. I have to tell you she had a ball, but unfortunately we got skunked both times.

She has a couple of health issues that really handicap her mobility. The first is she is overweight; she has an artificial knee and also an artificial hip. Getting to the piers she used her walker and did very well. I have to say I quickly lost interest in that type of fishing, mostly due to the number of people crowded in such close proximity.

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 175 with a 115hp Yamaha. I have been thinking about trying to equip it so she would be able to step off a dock onto the front platform. Does anyone know of any companies that offer accessories that could possibly help her? I am thinking some type of hand holds to steady her getting onto the boat. Getting off, many docks have pipes sticking up that would help her. If she could board using her walker or wheel chair it would be all the better. I know ideally a pontoon would be the ticket, I just don’t have one.

I just thought I would ask and see if anyone could offer up any ideas. I appreciate the time you took to read my post. Thank you!

WS

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just rent a pontoon to take her out. Will be much easier for her to get on and off. Boats are not a easy thing for anyone with balance issues or are older to navigate. Renting might seem awfully dumb but you will feel worse if she has a problem getting on or off the boat.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have been thinking about trying to equip it so she would be able to step off a dock onto the front platform. Does anyone know of any companies that offer accessories that could possibly help her? I am thinking some type of hand holds to steady her getting onto the boat.

You may be able to find a nearby location that is set up to accommodate handicapped boaters.
    The handicap boarding incline to platform pictured below offers 3 choices of boarding heights to match the height best suited for your individual rig.

To use the boarding platform, the boat (while still on the trailer) is pulled immediately adjacent to the chosen platform. The handicapped person then is able to enter the boat on stable, dry, land, using the provided handholds. The incline and loading platform has been built specifically to accommodate wheelchairs and/or walkers.
    Once the person has boarded the boat, the boat is then launched in a normal manner. Reverse the procedure for disembarking at the end of the outing.

The boarding platform pictured below happens to be located on the Mississippi River at Lansing Iowa. I would expect that you would be able to find a few similar facilities near your location.

Attachments:
    1. BIGSLOUGH.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I don’t know exactly what these locations have, but it may be worth checking them out.

Attachments:
    1. MNRAMP.jpg

jwellsy

I’ve often thought about using one of those truck bed davit arms mounted to a boat seat to lift wheelchairs in/out.

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

I appreciate the replies.

Dutch…You are probably correct and I probably should abandon my idea and just go with renting a pontoon. I was just hoping I could utilize what I have and be able to try different waters.

Dave…Thanks for all the info and time spent replying. A couple excellent options that I will investigate.

jwellsy…Interesting idea.

Thanks again

WS

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Years ago a very good friends mother was stepping into their family fishing boat, something went wrong, bones broke and she never recovered. I wasn’t there but will never forget hearing the story. Very sad deal. It’s hard to recall exactly but I think she was only in her late 50’s early 60’s. When things go wrong they go wrong fast.

deertracker

Check out “Let’s go fishing” at the link below. I just started to volunteer in Alexandria. They run pontoons. We have ramps to get people on easily. Maybe there is a chapter near you.

Homepage

DT

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we helped the grand rapids chapter do fund raisers, the Union i belong to!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.