Handheld Garmin GPS holder + Auger holder + gear storage for Snowmobile

• michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Just pulled the trigger on a new (for me) 2016 Bearcat and couldn’t be more excited. Now I need to get it “tricked out” for ice fishing and am hoping for guidance. What’s the best solution for:

1. A Handheld (Garmin 62) GPS holder on top of the dash?
    2. Gear storage mounted to rear rack? (I’d like to put two depth-finders and my Otter Rod box back there, instead of in the porty, at least)
    3. An auger cradle on the front of the sled?

Pics would be great and thanks for the input!

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

You could try a cradle mount from RAM for your Garmin 62. I found this one online: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA41U. I haven’t used it so I don’t have an opinion to share.

As for the Gear Storage to the rear rack, have you seen the Otter/Rhino Box we use on our sleds during the show season? Those are awesome, if you can get it to mount properly on a Bearcat. We mount this on our sleds:
    http://www.rhinomade.com/rhino-atv-boxes.html

If you end up going the Otter/Rhino Box route, you can pick up the Auger Shield that attaches to the side of the box and use that for transporting your auger. It isn’t on the front of the sled, but it works nicely. That product is here: https://www.otteroutdoors.onlineofficesystem.com/details.php?prodID=118

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.

?????

I made my own box out of plywood and divided it up the way I wanted to and carpeted the interior to hold everything needed and even room for some thing not needed. I ordered another set of mounting brackets from Arctic Cat to put on the box so it clipped in just like the rear seat. I also made a reciever hitch augar mount with the Digger unit and if I am correct you have a reciever on both the front and back of the Bearcat or at least mine did so you can mount either on the front or back. I set a HDS5 above the guage cluster and used a bungy to hold it and that worked better than any mount I tried and was easy to see. I love projects like this kind of gets you excited to use it. Good luck!!

Attachments:
    1. DSC00576.jpg

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

You might want to think about using a 5″ or 7″ GPS instead of a small hand held unit. Trying to see that small screen when traveling across the lake is difficult at best. I use a x27 with a Johnny ray mount that goes on the snowmobile or atv. If your sled doesn’t have electric start, you will have to rig a battery also

munchy
    NULL

I agree with the larger gps. I have a Helix 5 on my ATV and many times wish I had atleast a 7, especially in daylight.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Just pulled the trigger on a new (for me) 2016 Bearcat and couldn’t be more excited. Now I need to get it “tricked out” for ice fishing and am hoping for guidance. What’s the best solution for:

1. A Handheld (Garmin 62) GPS holder on top of the dash?
    2. Gear storage mounted to rear rack? (I’d like to put two depth-finders and my Otter Rod box back there, instead of in the porty, at least)
    3. An auger cradle on the front of the sled?

Pics would be great and thanks for the input!

Which model bearcat did you go with?

jkarels

You could try a cradle mount from RAM for your Garmin 62. I found this one online: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA41U. I haven’t used it so I don’t have an opinion to share.

As for the Gear Storage to the rear rack, have you seen the Otter/Rhino Box we use on our sleds during the show season? Those are awesome, if you can get it to mount properly on a Bearcat. We mount this on our sleds:

If you end up going the Otter/Rhino Box route, you can pick up the Auger Shield that attaches to the side of the box and use that for transporting your auger. It isn’t on the front of the sled, but it works nicely. That product is here: https://www.otteroutdoors.onlineofficesystem.com/details.php?prodID=118

Would you be able to show how you mounted the Otter Box to your sleds? Pics?
    Would really like one but not sure how to go about mounting it

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I have a 2015 Bearcat 2000LT myself and mounted a Elite 5 on the handlebar using the cradle mount from RAM. It works really well and holds solid.

I too would like to see some ideas of how folks have their sleds organized. I can’t seem to figure out a good way to mount my auger on the front or as a combination in back with a storage box.

gonehunting

Arctic Cat makes a front bumper for the bearcat with a 2″ hitch receiver. I would build a T frame out of 2″ tubing and bolt the digger auger mount exactly like this. Easy to take on/off with one pin. Been dreaming of owning a Bearcat for 5 years.

Attachments:
    1. s-l1600.jpg

2. auger-carrier-003.jpg

3. auger-carrier-004.jpg

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for the info and Links Nick, will definitely check those options out. Now that I think about it, I’ll have to go back and watch a few of your sled episodes to check out the setup.

@gonehunting
    – Great pics and interesting approach. Mine has the front receiver already and I have a digger holder that I had on my last sled (’98 Indy lite). I too had dreamed of owning a Bearcat and just decided to spend a little extra and pull the trigger when I found this one, too good to pass up.

Thanks everyone for the advice, more thoughts welcomed! Kind of a fun distraction since the water isn’t hard yet.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

@nickcox
    – Could you possibly take some pics/provide a description of how you attached the Rhino box to the back of the IDO sleds please?

I’ve solved the GPS mount and the Ice Auger cradle since writing this but still on the fence as to a storage solution on the back of my sled.

Thanks

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

@jkarels we don’t have any photos on hand, and we haven’t taken delivery of our new sleds yet for this upcoming season. I wish we had something to show you.

For what it is worth, we simply place the box on the back of the snowmobile, determine where we need to drill our holes for the mounting hardware (U-Bolts) on the bottom of the box, and tighten the U-Bolts to the frame or rails of the sled.

Maybe this image will help?

Attachments:
    1. Box-Directions.png

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Nick. Was wondering how you modified the install since the boxes are made to go on the back of ATV’s (not sleds). Totally makes sense how you described it.
    At this point, I’m leaning towards going a different direction that is detachable as I’m uncertain how the box on the back would fit in my enclosed trailer. Will update when I make a decision.
    If you can, it’d be much appreciated if you can take a few pics or even make an install video when you get the new sleds!
    -Michael

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I believe someone on this site had a bracket fabed up so he could pull a couple of pins and pop it off, might be able to find it with some digging or a post?

Tony Meyers

I made up something very similar to the pics in this post. I didn’t use the u bolts, but I see no reason you couldn’t if you needed to, with the knobs holding them on. It is very easy to now remove. The only thing I don’t like is that the knobs stick up inside the box. Either way though, you’re going to either have knobs or bolt/nuts sticking up inside, but this makes removal pretty slick. Like the OP, I have a Sportsman without the metal racks, so I made these to fit the lock and ride holes.

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ice-is-coming-time-for-some-atvsled-and-shelter-mods/

I’m going to line the inside with some kind of foam or carpet (to cover the knobs), and put some lights in the box.

I have an 09 Sportsman with the plastic front rack/lid. Trying to figure out how to mount an auger mount on the front. The Otter/Rhino tube might take up too much room hanging off the side. We’ll see.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.