Ice is coming, time for some ATV/Sled and Shelter Mods

• Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, it’s that time of the year again… Time to start thinking ahead to the hardwater season. We’re about 90 days out here in So.Dak. Even though I have plenty of hunting to get done between now and then, I prefer to prep for the hardwater season while it’s still warm out, the sun is above the horizon at 5 o’clock and my fingers aren’t frozen. It’s a great time to work on getting the ice gear sorted, cleaned, repaired, batteries charged, augers started and new stuff ordered. And of course with all of this some comes my favorite part… Mods!

Let’s see some of the those modifications. Time to show ‘em off. Always some great ideas whether it’s sleds, ATV’s, shelters or hubs.

Below is my setup and some of the Mods. Looks like the pictures posted out of order. Check the names.

Picture – Otter Train
    2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 SP Touring in Blue Fire with an Otter Monster Box and of course the Otter Pro XT1200 Cabin.

Picture – Mod 1
    To mount the Otter Box, in lieu of using the Polaris Lock-n-Ride lugs, I used some off-the-shelf bolts, locknuts, fender washers, nylon spacers and knobs. I assembled these thru the lock-n-ride holes to create mounting points. By placing a loose fender washer on top of the lock nut, my Otter Box sits about 1/2″ above the rear deck. You will have to take the rear deck off, aligned it to the bottom of the Otter box to mark out the 6 holes to drill. I can now take the Otter Monster box off in a matter of 30 seconds.

Picture – Mod 2
    I’ve added a Digger Auger mount up front for my Laser Mag, but what is not shown in the picture below is a set of Koplin Single Rhino grips mounted to the front rack that holds my Dewalt drill/Lazer auger setup. On the side of the Otter Box behind the Otter Bucket Holder, I added a 3-Rod Rack cut in half to hold my hole hopping rods. I try to stay mobile and have set up everything where I can pack and move in a matter of minutes.

Picture – Mod 3
    On the inside of the Otter Box, I added 3 small sets of LED lights, one set on each side, cut a small rocker switch into the lip of the box and mounted a spare flasher battery to run the lights. Works great at night loading everything up.
    I also added a 6-Rod Rack to the bottom side of the lid and used some mop-rack mounts to keep the rods in place. I use this to hold several deadsticks that I have set-up for use with Arctic Warriors or iFish Pro.

Picture – Mod 4
    Then, on the other side of the Otter Box, I’ve built a dual Milk-Crate box to hold a few miscellaneous items such as buckets, Mr. Heater-Cooker and other such items. I’ve bolted two milk crates together and then using some 1/2″ thick birch lumber, I cut them to slide over the Otter Box side lugs. Lifts on/off with ease.

Let’s see what you guys have come up with.

Attachments:
    1. MOD-2-1280x304.jpg

2. MOD-3-1280x324.jpg

3. MOD-4-1280x311.jpg

4. Otter-Train-1280x562.jpg

5. MOD-1-1280x370.jpg

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Wow! Those are some killer mods toast

Tony Meyers

It’s over a year late, but I wanted to say thanks for this post. I just received a monster box last week. After an exhaustive online search on mounting this via the lock and ride holes, I went with this type of mount. I just didn’t trust the rubber pressure mounts to haul this box and everything I plan to put in it. Seems to be a solid mount. This is on a 2009 Sportsman 500 HO. My rack is a little different, but has a similar pattern for the lock and ride holes.

Now, I need to add some of your other mods. Again, thanks for the info!

munchy
    NULL

Wow! Surprised this post didn’t get more attention than just a single post. Awesome mods Steve! Definitely gave me some ideas to do this year.

Ryan

Lets try to get the mods going. I made a rod holder for my 800 X2.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2605.jpg

2. IMG_2599.jpg

?????

All the mods one needs. go anywhere and more storage than you need.

Attachments:
    1. 4-Wheeler-1.jpg

Stanley

I made an extension to the basket on the sled to mount a digger auger holder to so I can still get a 5gal bucket in the basket.

Attachments:
    1. image-2.jpeg

2. image-1.jpeg

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Kabe I like how you put the rubber hood latch on the side of the Monster Box. I’m definitely going to do that to mine Thanks !!

Zack Busse

I’m looking to power my helix 7 on my polaris sportsman. I bought a power cord which I thought was a cig lighter hook up for the helix through humminbird. I don’t think I received the right cord. Anyone else done this with success, or do I need to take up some wiring?

jwozniak

Here’s my two ice machines.
    06 Grizzly, winch, windshield, LMS-520 on the bars, hand/thumb warmers,custom front rack the holds the solo, rod bag, two flashers and a camera, custom rear basket rack with work light for early/late setup/packup and add on that holds the lil weber grill.

97 Indy classic touring two up, electric start, reverse, ram mount & Lms-520,
    custom front auger rack, custom rear job box & rod rack.

Attachments:
    1. 20160215_104112.jpg

2. 20160108_093831.jpg

jkarels

Well after some trail and error I think I got it figured out. Cant wait for some ice.

Attachments:
    1. snow3.jpg

2. snow1.jpg

3. snow2.jpg

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

jkarels,

Nice work. That looks like a nice setup. Can you please post a picture of how you attached the box to the receiver?

Where did you get the box from?

Will Oster

That is one of the coolest setups I have EVER seen!!! Very nice.

jkarels

jkarels,

Nice work. That looks like a nice setup. Can you please post a picture of how you attached the box to the receiver?

I got the box from Nothern Tool. Its a trailer toungue box. Made from ABS plastic, which should hold up in cold weather.
    I welded up everything and the box is bolted to the receiver.
    I can post a picture when I get back to where I store it.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Great stuff guys!

I’m still very happy with last season’s mods. I too opted for the Digger auger mount and went with duel aluminum diamond-plated boxes. There is enough room in between the boxes for two flasher units. The eight rod holders and a Ram mounted HDS 7 are a few other useful touches.

Right now I’m setting up my Polaris touring in a similar fashion.

Attachments:
    1. DSC01393.jpg

jkarels

Nice job Phil
    I make 2-3 trips to Lake Winnipeg a year and have broken 2 Big Buddy heaters transporting them in my fish house. Some days we put on quite a few miles looking for fish. Not to mention the beating my locators are taking.
    I’m hoping this will be a better option for some of my equipment not to mention more space for extra stuff I can bring while there.
    I just hope to get some miles on the sled to test it out. It seems like if something is going to go wrong its going to be up there. Last year going across the lake my brothers auger mount came loose and his auger fell off his sled and broke the carb off. We always try to double up on everything, heaters,augers.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>arcticm1000 wrote:</div>
    jkarels,

I got the box from Nothern Tool. Its a trailer toungue box. Made from ABS plastic, which should hold up in cold weather.
    I welded up everything and the box is bolted to the receiver.
    I can post a picture when I get back to where I store it.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try to figure out something like that for my sled. I bought a digger auger mount at the end of the year last year. I got it installed, but our last trip got canceled when the weather warmed up so fast last spring. I am ready to put it to use this year.

That is a sweet looking set up, I bet it will work great for you.

Here’s mine custom otter rod box holder,gas can holder,digger auger carrier,full cab,heated seats,cab heater and just installed a 4″ high lifter lift just put Sedona rip saw tires also front and rear led light bars.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160613_175246690_HDR.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

jkarels – I broke a big buddy on LOTW last year – not fun! I think mine broke because it was laying on its back. Were yours laying on there backs?
    I am trying to think up a way that I don’t get a surprise when I get to my destination. Some type of foam maybe?

jkarels

The really nice thing about this particular box is the Big Buddy heater is a 1/4″ shorter than the box is tall so I don’t think it will bounce around. I was thinking of some foam but not sure if that is the way I want to go. The box is waterproof but I’m afraid it will get wet inside and stink.
    I am planning on mounting a LED light bar on the sled this weekend and maybe figuring out where I want to mount my Otter rod case. Maybe get some pics posted if I get it done.
    The mallards are starting to show up and so are some geese so that might have to happen since the ice is a ways off

jkarels

jkarels – I broke a big buddy on LOTW last year – not fun! I think mine broke because it was laying on its back. Were yours laying on there backs?
    I am trying to think up a way that I don’t get a surprise when I get to my destination. Some type of foam maybe?

Where was your heater sitting? In the sled? In a box on a wheeler or snowmobile?
    One thing which led to this whole Mod was I ended up using a steel colman cooler in my Otter to put the big buddy in along with locators other stuff.

munchy
    NULL

The really nice thing about this particular box is the Big Buddy heater is a 1/4″ shorter than the box is tall so I don’t think it will bounce around. I was thinking of some foam but not sure if that is the way I want to go. The box is waterproof but I’m afraid it will get wet inside and stink.

Can you place a length of foam pipe insulation around the handle? It can be easily removable as well if you want.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.