Hamilton Boys Rifle

• Nice Fella

I inherited a Model 27, .22 that was always just kept in my Dad’s closet. Established by Clarence J. Hamilton and his son Coello, in 1898 in Plymouth, Michigan. Company ceased production in 1945. The have an interesting history, made by a company that originally produced iron wind mills. Apparently about 500,000 were made, and sold for $2.00-$5.00 each, patented around 1900-1907. It was heavily marketed as a “Real Rifle for Real Boys”, or “Every Boy Wants a Real Rifle”. Many of them were given away as promotional gifts, i.e. stuffed inside a sack of seed. “Despite the fact there were many Hamilton rifles sold, most of these little guns were used hard and many did not survive. Hamilton rifles in excellent condition are hardly ever encountered.” I’ve seen a couple of these for sale online for a couple hundred bucks.
    I just wanted to share this because I thought it an interesting gun history story. If you look them up online you’ll see some of the original ads in Sears-Roebuck, etc. Pretty cool. And I was also curious if anyone else on this site might have one as well.

Attachments:
    1. Hamilton.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.