Real Small Plots?

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Just wondering if anyone plants like 1/8 to 1/2 acre size plots? I don’t own my own land but think I could talk the landowner into letting me plant a small plot.

Just curious how involved is it and would it be worth planting one that small. It would be all done by hand, maybe rent a small hand tiller. Don’t have any experience at all, been watching shows that have pricked my curiosity.

lick

I have 12 plots all are about 1/2 acre. They work great. But can get over browsed very quickly. Like I always say if you plant it they will come

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

We have 9 kill plots on two farms (less than 1/2 acre) The deer stop at these on their way to the destination plots. any thing you can do would up your odds at keeping the deer in your area. like Pat said be prepared for heavy browsing.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yep same here! IMO Small plots are easier to harvest deer on.

bennyj
    sunrise mn

I have real small plots at my house. One is more/less a strip of about 10 feet wide by about a 100 feet long or so. I have two other plots and one is probably a 1/3 of an acre and the other is about a half. They have worked good for me.

They are small but gives them at least some reason to pass through.

lick

I think the key is placement of small plots. If you can get them in a staging area on the way to a destination plot you are in the chips. My best plot is 150 yards from a huge bean/corn field the deer feel safe here and stage up 2 hours before dark and stay in my plot until last light then head to the field.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Hey thanks guys, that’s encouraging. I like the idea of using it like a staging area.

Do you know of any websites that teach you what to do, plant and how to go about with out a tractor and so forth?

Also is it to late in the year for planting plots? Thanks again for the help, I know nothing when it comes to this stuff.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Do you know of any websites that teach you what to do, plant and how to go about with out a tractor and so forth?
    Also is it to late in the year for planting plots? Thanks again for the help, I know nothing when it comes to this stuff.

yes this one, start asking any questions you have, lots of guys hear with plenty of years under their belts in the area. My cell is 763 238 2035 if you have any questtions give me a shout. Some of small best kill plots are under an 1/8 acre. Not to late yet especialy down south a bit,
    To start right get a soil test done and and killing the site with round up.
    Next patience here will save a bit of effert, let the plants die before mowing, this will make removal/break down of the weed mass left much easier. During this time you can be considering your seed choices, things to take in to account are deer density levels, quality of soil, budget management and overall sun light received by the plot over the course of the day. Next mow and remove grasses and other unwanted matter from the plot. After mowed its till time to till! There are a ton of options depending on budget and location. After your done there, message me and we can go over seed choices and how to plant them.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Hey qdm4life thank you for the help and the offer. I have to talk to the landowner first, but I find this stuff fascinating.

On a down note just learned tonight I lost permission on the farm I have shotgun hunted for 9 years. Man I’m in shock on that one, friend of the family owned it and him, family and I all hunted together. Man I would love to own my own land. Oh well. Permission hunting I go.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sorry to hear the bad news. ,

But as QDM said, if you have any quesitons long the way plenty of serious food plotters right here! I think we learn more from each other then anything else!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Sorry guys, I meant no disrespect, just thought maybe there was a site walking you through the process in pictures. I’m like a kid .

With a small plot, what would you plant in it and still be cost effective? At this point won’t be able to put a lot in it, but have time and man power. Are turnips or something like that a good choice?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Rape & Turnips are an excellent choice!

Just be careful not to over plant(put too many seeds down) with Turnips and this is easy to do. The bulbs will not get very big at all.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Rape & Turnips are an excellent choice!

Just be careful not to over plant(put too many seeds down) with Turnips and this is easy to do. The bulbs will not get very big at all.

X 2 on the rape and turnips for a first year plot then maybe next year go to winter wheat.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks guys, probaly will have some more questions.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Well made it out to talk to the landowner this weekend. Buttered him up but he said no on the food plot. Thought for sure he wouldn’t care.

Thank you again for the help guys. I will be looking around the next couple weeks for some more land to hunt, maybe I can find some the farmer won’t care.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.