Soybean question…….

• wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

First time posting over here, but long time member over on the fishing side. I am sure I will get the same great info. over here . I planted some soybeans this spring, and they are getting pounded (good thing). They will never get to the point of having pods because of the pressure. I am thinking of tilling part of them and planting some fresh just after the first of August for fall green feed. I am wondering how late I could expect them to stay green for fall hunting? Thanks in advance!

Nut

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

maybe a little feeding after that a hard freeze

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Have you ever considered brassicas? Being that bucks should be about 2/3s oftheir way thru rack developement by now they may be a better option because of their late season drawing powers, planting time is running low I like mine in the ground by yesterday but you have 3 weeks still. As for beans planted now my plantings have shown some frost resistance but in general they are done after the hard frost, just when deer movements increase and brassicas begin to shine!!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

If you are in the southern part of the state, You could plant yet this weekend. But it would be a risk… You would have to have good moisture and alot of fertilizer to make it work. They are planting soybeans this week in cannon falls, (after they took the peas out) and they will expect at least a 2/3 yeild as compared to a spring planting. but again this is on irrigated land. To be on the safe side I would agree with qdm4life and try brassicas.
    one other thing to consider is to plant oats or winter wheat. about sept 1st. I have had better early season success in southern mn. on the oats or winter wheat during the early season than in the brassicas. I have corn, soybeans, brassicas and cereal grains in all of my plots, alot of work but I never have to worry about not having what they wan’t for supper!

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I am in North Central Wis. I do have another small food plot of a brassica, chickory, clover mix that I planted in late may which is a bag mix from Fleet Farm. It looks to also have some turnips in it (small bulbs near the surface that are pink and white) I mowed that plot off to about 6″ about a week ago because it was getting pretty high.(I am new to all this food plot stuff) With this other food plot in play, what would you guys recommend I put in? Oats or Winter Wheat sound interesting. Ideas?

Nut

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

First of all Welcome to the “Dark Side” of IN DEPTH OUTDOORS!

Secondly, what is your intent/goal with this plot??? For Archery hunting? Gun Hunting? Muzzle Loader??? or perhaps just to give your deer nutrition? With this answer I know you could receive a lot better answers!

Welcome to the addiction of food plots!

abster71
    crawford county WI

I had the same ? and spoke with two farmers and beans are a different animal they do have different varieties of maturity but they will all turn at approximately the same time due to the amount of day light or moon phase the reason for the different maturities is for planting conditions or farmers who can’t get their beans in until later. They did say the longer the maturity the better the crop. But if your looking for them to stay green longer by planting later it won’t happen. Not sure if the forage beans are the same maybe something to check into.

lick

I planted oats wheat and peas today all new stuff to me so we will see how the deer like them

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

But if your looking for them to stay green longer by planting later it won’t happen. Not sure if the forage beans are the same maybe something to check into.

feild varieties will stay green until they frost hard…seen it with my own eyes in my own plots, but they have to be planted way late. Beans mature just like corn, after X amount of days the crop mature, for instance the corn here was tassled on the 4th and is cobbing now, way earlier than normal due simply to the fact it was planted way earlier. Forage soybeans are the ticket, designed to handle heavy browsing yet still able to produce 1800 pounds of dried beans per acre, while produce tons of high quality forage all summer long.. I tried some thins spring but had bad weed compition, and next year will be planting Eagles seeds forage soybeans mainly due to the fact they arw roundup ready.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I do all three, bow, rifle, and muzzle loader. I guess I was looking for another option to the brassica, chickory, clover mix I put in. Since beans won’t stay green longer, I am thinking about winter wheat ??? Also heard good things about sugar beets. Any knowledge on them??

Nut

lick

Quote:

I do all three, bow, rifle, and muzzle loader. I guess I was looking for another option to the brassica, chickory, clover mix I put in. Since beans won’t stay green longer, I am thinking about winter wheat ??? Also heard good things about sugar beets. Any knowledge on them??

Nut

I’m trying sugar beets for the 1st time this year So i can’t judge yet But I hear if they will grow the deer love them

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sugar beets in the right soil conditions IMO is the deer’s #1 food they like and seek out in my experience with them in ND. Up in the Red River Valley, when the time is right they will walk by everything else to eat a sugar beet. This time period seems to be late October until they are gone.

IMO Beans are a great plot food. It gives deer early food when it is green. The deer will leave the beans alone for a period of Late September to about November. But once the cold weather and snow sets in they will hammer them like no tomorrow again. One of my favorite plots where possible is to Plant RR Beans early in the year. Then stay on the weeds and in Mid to End of July right before a good rain walk and broadcast Rape and Turnip seeds in the beans. These two seeds (Rape & Turnips) need very minimal soil coverage/contact to grow. This turns this plot into a whole deer season plot as something is always palatable to the deer! Beans are a great Early and Late food source. The Rape & Turnips are good from about 45 days from planting but thrive in Mid October to Mid November or until they are gone. I learned this lil trick from a member here about 5 or 6 years ago (Scott Steil).

But I guess for this year, if it were me I would experiment a lil and go outside my comfort zone and try something like Forage Oats or Winter Wheat. Good Luck!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Winter wheat is a huge deer magnet during the later season. It stays green underneath the snow. It would be a good muzzleloader or late season bow food source! I have seen upwards of 50-60 deer in a 10 acre field of winter wheat, by where I hunt.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I tilled up part of my soybeans that had been demolished today. I planted a sugar beet rape mix. Can’t wait to see the results. This food plot stuff could get addicting. My plots are on logging trails so I have very limited room, but I will be getting a dozer in to widen them before the summer is over. Thanks for the advice guys. Look forward to trying new things again next year! This pic is on the beans I planted this year. Don’t mind the date and time stamp…never reset them this year. THAT is the reason for my excitement about food plots!

Nut

lick

Awesome buck looks like a 6 x 5

Good luck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

WOW Nice one!

Quote:

This food plot stuff could get addicting

COULD?????? Oops too late!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.