Getting those deer close to our stands

• bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

We all know about using obstacles to try and make the deer travel where we want them go. One of the methods my son and I use that i find is much easier is to start close to the bedding areas and make a trail that is easy for them to travel. cut a few logs and move a few branches and most
    importantly use a mixture of round up and 2-4D and spray your trail right past your stand. Its like you put a ring in their nose! they will follow this trail 90% of the time.The pic. shows a trail that is in need of spraying but the deer are still keeping it worn down to the dirt. Try just one trail and you will be hooked for life!

lick

Good stuff Bob

I learned the hard way to not make the trail go right to the bottom of your tree

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Good stuff Bob

I learned the hard way to not make the trail go right to the bottom of your tree

Yeah I hear ya! It’s best to have the trail kind of circle around your tree so at some point they will be looking away from you even before they get past you. This gives more shot opportunities

lick

It started as a walking trail for me and the deer took it over

abster71
    crawford county WI

cleaning trails to the stand always turns into a new deer trail I hate that thank God for rubber boots and scent away.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great post Bob! Many times when hunting the bluffs of Buffalo Cty, you have two parallel trails on a hillside and it’s hard to cover both trails from one bowstand. In this case, I’ve actually created obstacles (positioning logs or fallen tree tops) on one of the trails and cleared a path to funnel that trail into the other one so that the deer are forced down the one trail where I have my deer stand.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.