cheap home made mineral

• bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I got this from a qdm site many years ago and have had good luck with it. The only other thing I add is Lucky Buck. They seem to eat it faster when I mix the Lucky Buck with it.

You can make your own mineral mix for a fraction of the cost of store bought ‘mixes’. There doesn’t appear to be any scientific proof showing minerals will improve the health of your herd. But at the very least a mineral site is an excellent location to place a trail camera and get a survey of who’s in town. Deer will typically use mineral sites beginning in mid to late winter, and continue to frequent them until late summer.

Ingredients: Makes 250 lbs

Di-calcium phosphate – 50 lbs

Trace mineral salt – 100 lbs

Stock salt – 100 lbs

Di-calcium phosphate is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.

Trace mineral salt is red and loose kind without the medications. Look for the highest amounts of calcium and phosphorus on the label.

Directions:

-Mix all together well but not until ready to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Optional method:

Use an old stump and pour the mineral mixture over it. You may want to cut the stump with a chainsaw to create some additional openings for the mixture to catch in. As the stump ages and starts to break down, the minerals will be absorbed into the wood. Deer will literally eat the wood to get the minerals out of it.

Feel free to experiment with the ingredients. Add a bag of dry molasses, use trace mineral salt with selenium, etc. They all work

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

that is the same exact mineral recipe that i use and i have had great success with it….well the only way i can judge is that they eat it like candy….couple other pointers that i have found.
    1. make sure to reapply at least every six weeks or eight at the latest depending on how much you put down. I usually put down about 25 to 30 pounds per site.
    2. Make sure to remove the sod and roots when u initially make a lick in the dirt. Also when starting a new lick i like to reapply at least every 4 weeks to make sure the ground gets saturated.
    3. DO NOT become discouraged if it looks like the deer are not hitting it a ton…it takes a little while for them to find it and make it part of their routine. I know in the last two or three years my mineral licks have exploded just due to the fact that i feel that fawns from the last couple years have been brought there by their mothers, where as their mothers had to find them themselves….ive only had them out for 3 full years….this will be my fourth.
    Finally. This can be a personal preference but all my mineral licks are back in the woods by bedding areas…that way during the summer they can and will hit them all day long.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Just curious what happens if it is mixed up too early? I like the idea of saving money on this. Where do you buy these types of ingredients?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Just curious what happens if it is mixed up too early? I like the idea of saving money on this. Where do you buy these types of ingredients?

I just go to the local elevator or fleet farm for the ingredients. I have allways just mixed everything up at rhe same time.it might get hard and lumpy butt I just break it up when i replenish my sites.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

280 LBS for $90 I started 5 new sights and replenished 4 old ones. It was awesome to not pay $15 for 1 gallon of 5 lbs of premade product and kind of fun to mix it all up. I actually poured it in a drum and used an old hand ice auger without blades and it mixed up easily. Thanks for posting this and one last question. Is stock salt just plain any type of salt?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

280 LBS for $90 I started 5 new sights and replenished 4 old ones. It was awesome to not pay $15 for 1 gallon of 5 lbs of premade product and kind of fun to mix it all up. I actually poured it in a drum and used an old hand ice auger without blades and it mixed up easily. Thanks for posting this and one last question. Is stock salt just plain any type of salt?

Yeah. I just ask for livestock salt

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I mixed up this home brew over the weekend and created 8 mineral licks! I placed about 30 lbs in each site location. Thanks Bob for the recipe!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Awesome! I remember reading this last year and wanted to get this going but couldn’t find the post.

Off to fleet farm I go!

Jami

lick

The way they are ponding my minerals sites I’m going to have to try this I have been using trace mineral from the c-op

Thanks for the recipe Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.