GreenWorks 40v 6Ah Battery compatible with StrikeMaster 40v 6Ah?

• Richard Lundberg

I just purchased a new STRIKEMASTER PRO LITHIUM ION 40V LITE 8IN LFV6LF-8 and I really like it. I was wondering if anyone has found the GreenWorks 40v 6.0Ah Lithium ION Battery compatible with this StrikeMaster model? The batteries appear to be interchangeable. The chargers look identical except for the color, but HUGE price difference of $67.99 or $85.99 VS $180.72 and up for StrikeMaster brand name. Just looking ahead for future replacement options. THX.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/stmlfv6-b-strikemaster-lithium-40v-6ah-battery-wusb-port.html

Attachments:
    1. GreekWorks-40v-battery.jpg

Ongo

The only question I would have is whether the Strikemaster battery chemistry is different than the standard Greenworks to optimize for cold weather. Other than that I agree that they appear to be directly interchangeable.

Richard Lundberg

‘The only question I would have is whether the Strikemaster battery chemistry is different than the standard Greenworks to optimize for cold weather.’

Ongo- Excellent point.

CaptainMusky

Ive read people have used them, but the battery life isnt very good because those were not designed to work in the cold like the strikemaster ones. Not sure if that is true or not however.

TOM

Theres a video of someone using the greenworks battery on the strikemaster auger on YouTube.

Corey sunderman

I’ve heard they work if cut the tabs out. Side note I’ve paid 100$ or less for my 3 strike master batteries on sale

Matthew

I just ordered a new 6 ah battery from greenworks before my trip to LOTW. Drilled 25 holes through 40+ inches of ice on on the greenworks battery in -13 to -25 degree weather. Pulled both the strikrmaster battery and greenworks apart today. Both packs are identical batteries down to the numbers on the batteries. Never used a full strikrmaster battery up there. Someday I will get around to seeing a hole for hole comparison.

Matthew

Apples to apples test today. Greenworks battery drilled 82 holes through 24″ of ice. Strikrmaster battery drilled 78 holes… Both batteries were in the back of my truck since last night. Both batteries were the 6.0. I did not buy a Chinese greenworks battery though, it was $147. Strikrmaster 6.0 is around $215. Label on the strikrmaster battery says 216 watt hours. Label on greenworks battery says 240 watt hours. Pulled both battery packs out of the case and both sets of batteries are identical down to the numbers.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220315_185119764-scaled.jpg

tswoboda

I just ordered a new 6 ah battery from greenworks before my trip to LOTW. Drilled 25 holes through 40+ inches of ice on on the greenworks battery in -13 to -25 degree weather. Pulled both the strikrmaster battery and greenworks apart today. Both packs are identical batteries down to the numbers on the batteries. Never used a full strikrmaster battery up there. Someday I will get around to seeing a hole for hole comparison.

Apples to apples test today. Greenworks battery drilled 82 holes through 24″ of ice. Strikrmaster battery drilled 78 holes… Both batteries were in the back of my truck since last night. Both batteries were the 6.0. I did not buy a Chinese greenworks battery though, it was $147. Strikrmaster 6.0 is around $215. Label on the strikrmaster battery says 216 watt hours. Label on greenworks battery says 240 watt hours. Pulled both battery packs out of the case and both sets of batteries are identical down to the numbers.

This is good stuff, thanks for sharing. I’ve suspected they were identical batteries since the SM came out, but this is the first time I’ve seen someone tear one down to verify that is indeed the case.

FinickyFish

Slight high jack, has anyone found a cheaper alternative for ION batteries. Asking for a friend whistling

404 ERROR
    MN

The administration no longer approves of this thread. rotflol

tswoboda

The administration no longer approves of this thread. rotflol

Battery compatibility with other brands should be a good thing, no? Anyone with a Greenworks trimmer, chainsaw, etc. would no doubt buy a SM 40v over an Ion if they knew they could use the same batteries in both, right?

Make it a marketing tool, not a dirty secret.

CaptainMusky

Battery compatibility with other brands should be a good thing, no? Anyone with a Greenworks trimmer, chainsaw, etc. would no doubt buy a SM 40v over an Ion if they knew they could use the same batteries in both, right?

Make it a marketing tool, not a dirty secret.

Exactly. If someone buys a Strikemaster 40 volt it still comes with one “SM” battery, but getting cheaper 2nd or 3rd batteries is nice. ALthough many of us have gotten the second battery and a big discount due to sales. I think I paid $50 for mine when I got it around Christmas time a year ago.

tswoboda

I could be wrong, but I doubt Strikemaster’s business plan involves making a ton of money from selling batteries. The goal is getting as much electric auger market share as possible. Having batteries that are compatible with popular lawn tools should help them do that.

greg vaneeckhout

Thanks, Great information! But call me cheap but the mai reason I was interested in the topic was in case I wanted to buy one of the <$50 chinese batteries available. So next it would be great if someone tried those.

Reef W

Thanks, Great information! But call me cheap but the mai reason I was interested in the topic was in case I wanted to buy one of the <$50 chinese batteries available. So next it would be great if someone tried those.

They probably work but it’s hard to know what you are getting. The cells are probably bought from rejected lots and a lot of teardowns of the no-names find the capacity is lower than advertised and terrible construction like wires that aren’t the correct gauge, bad insulation, nickel plated steel instead of pure nickel connectors, etc.

Scott Stephens

Hi guys,

Trying to revive this post as I just picked up a 40V 5 AH Greenworks battery and made the adjustments on the slots. However, I couldn’t get it to charge on my strikemaster 40V charger despite it fitting on great. Only 1 light on the battery indicator but it would turn on in the powerhead. So ordered the Greenworks 40V charger. Battery is fully charge now and still fits great on the Strikemaster but won’t turn the lights on or run the auger. (

What am I missing other than my “$$ savings” experiment seems to have failed!

Any other ideas are appreciated!!!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Should of waited till Black Friday, those StrikeMaster batteries used to go for $49-$79 and no headaches

Scott Stephens

Yeah, no kidding. Regretting my experiment now but it seems others had it all working so trying to figure out if I can salvage making it work still! Or cut my losses and move on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.