Navionics vs. Lake Insight

• DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Hey guys, couple questions on map chips. I purchased a Lowrance Elite 5x DSI, turns out I did not like the downscan only this unit had, so I boxed it up and exchanged it for the Elite 7 HDI. I hadn’t done any research on map chips, because the first unit did not have the ability, the unit I have now has a basemap. What I see is the basemap has 10 foot contours. I would like something that has more accurate info. I have talked with different people who own lake insight and navionics, and it’s really mixed result I am getting back. 50/50 really as to what the preference is.

questions I have.

Is it worth buying multiple chips, being that my unit only has one card slot?

Which map chip has the best contours of the MN rivers and lakes?

What do you own and what was your deciding factor for purchasing that chip?

Are you happy with it after the purchase?

I really appreciate any info you fine people can provide.

Deano

KirtH
    Lakeville

Go over to Navionics.com, the have a Web App where you can preview the lakes you fish, each chip will have different data based on when it was mapped, typically Navionics will have have newer data and more HD lakes. http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp
    The data on the web app is metric but the chip will be in feet and the chip will have more detail bu the contours will be the same. I have all 3 and typically run Navionics. I can get you some screen shots of lakes if you like.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

screen shots would be awesome! I’ll PM you my email.

Thanks moreyes!

igotone

Quote:

screen shots would be awesome! I’ll PM you my email.

Thanks moreyes!

me too Please

KirtH
    Lakeville

I ran out of time tonight hold on

KirtH
    Lakeville

I ran out of time tonight hold on

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

I went with the Insight chip. A friend got the MN version of Navionics, and it literally cuts the Mississippi river off right at the border, lol. So knowing that, I would have needed the North states edition at $150. Saw a few screenshots of the Insight from another friends’. Decided Insight would be good enough for this year. Although it does not have any info on a local lake I fish, it will work fine for finding wingdams on the ol miss and giving more detail than the base map. I will more than likely get the Navionics North states chip, but I can wait for now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.