Got to love late season / Ice out panfishing

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Myself, a buddy, and his wife got out on Both Sat. and Sun. Sat. we mostly targeted Pike on Tip-ups but also tried some pan fishing in the Same area. The Panfish bite was not real good with most of the fish being caught being small. The pike fishing was Decent. We ended up with a 29, 27, 24, 24, and several in the 21-22″ range. We also lost of missed 6-7 other fish. Keep the 29 and 27 for a few jars of pickled fish. Never keep any panfish. I think the spot we fished is about a few warm days away from getting good for the panfish. Normally those smaller fish show up a week or so before the bigger ones seem to mover in the area. With the forecasted weather for next weekend in that area I think the bite is really going to kick in. We had 13″ of ice and the ice was still locked tight to the shore we came on at. This was in the Ottertail lake area. Sunday we fished a lake in Becker county . We targeted just panfish. This lake had around 11-12″ of ice and again the ice was locked tight to shore on the shore we accessed the lake. Did real well on sunfish and added a few bonus Crappies mixed in. Ended up with a 3 person 30 fish limit of sunfish, got a few nice ones and released several real nice ones. Windy and a bit cool each day. Here are a few pictures from Sundays catch.

Jimmy Jones

I fished from shore today. No fish but it felt great to be looking at open water. The only ice I want to see in the rest of my lifetime is in a mixed drink maybe.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

lets try photos again

Attachments:
    1. 2-25-24-1.jpg

2. 2-25-24-2.jpg

3. 2-25-24-3.jpg

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Very nice! Sure wish we had 11″ of ice in NW Wisc. Lakes we fished a week ago had 4-7″ max. I don’t even think I’ll venture onto the ice this coming weekend. Instead, I think I’ll be praying for an early March ice out. )

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

nice catch!!!

Hoyt4
    NULL

Nice eats there. Was able to do well the last few weekends in Park Rapids. Still people fishing western wi pretty good still 8 inches of ice.

acarroline

GOt into a really good panfish bite Fri-Sat. Crappies between 11-14 inches and gills up to 8.5…and plenty of them. Only kept crappies on day 2.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Nice mess of fish thumper!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.