Gopher football

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

This is one helluva game. Amazing to see a MN team actually perform in a big game! This could actually happen!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Rah!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wow, what a great game! Row The Boat!!!!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Wow, what a game! Gophers beat Penn State!! 9-0 baby!!!

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

where do I get my oar

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Well, I guess this means Penn State wasn’t any good either jester

Congrats to the Gophers on winning a big game.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Not just their biggest win of my life but wow what a great game to watch

papaperch

Congrats to the gophers and their fans. The critics of this team may want to shut up as fast as possible. Any team that can hang + 30 points on this Penn state defense. Belongs on the field with anybody.

My Buckeyes might see you in the Big Ten Championship. Which should be a helluva game.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The critics of this team may want to shut up as fast as possible.

And boy are there a lot of those critics here on the IDO forums. Think of how long this thread is gonna get when they all come on and post about how they were wrong?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As one of Minnesota’s leading snake oil skeptics…

I’m skeptical no longer. That was a real win against a real team and all credit to the players and Fleck for a well played and coached game.

Full credit to Fleck, now he’s talked the talk and walked the walk.

The most impressive part for me is how this team gobbles up the clock and is so disciplined in taking so few penalties.

I see the knew it all alongers are now out in full force. Good for you, some of us want the team to earn the elite culture and whatnot by actually having one. Now the Gophers have proved it. Well done.

Grouse

tim hurley

Turnovers tipped the scale-hats off to all but esp. the CORNERBACKS!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

My wife and i were there. Our seats were close to the student section. It was a blast. The students were buzzed up pretty good and hilarious. I can’t believe we could go toe to toe with a big time team and win. This wasn’t a fluke. Let’s keep it going!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s kind of sad that I had such a poor opinion about him because of the negative comments here and the media the past few years. I never said anything because I believed it.

tangler
    Inactive

Pretty fun, caught most of the game on the radio in the garage or running kids around yesterday. I went to gopher games at the dome when I was a student, it’s crazy how far they’ve come since then. The biggest game I can remember and they sure showed up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

PJ is a pretty incredible guy. Say what you want about his gimmicky sayings but he really has changed the culture of the program. Notice how in his post game interview he never once talked about the skills of his players. It was all about the culture and how this team fights for each other. The guy practices what he preaches. His team has the highest GPA in school history, the players AND PJ are constantly at the U of M hospitals visiting kids and adults (I know I work there and see them).

Maybe I’ve bought in too much but after listening to him talk on and off the field I want to run through a wall for him. He’s pretty impressive in my mind.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats to the Gophers and their fans. Still not a fan of PJ’s rah rah stuff but he has done a great job for UM.

munchy
    NULL

coffee

Attachments:
    1. 20191110_194411.jpg

hawkguy

Congratulations to the Gophers on a special season thus far. Iowa had an undefeated regular season four years ago and received similar criticisms about the schedule. They can only beat who is put in front of them and Minnesota is winning in convincing fashion. Even if they don’t win another game they have had a special season.

With that said I think Iowa pushes it to 5 straight wins over the Gophers next weekend. Top 10 teams coming into Kinnick haven’t fared well in recent years, Vegas agrees as Minnesota is +3 next weekend. Either way it will be a great environment and I’ll be there cheering on the Hawkeyes.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

It was a great experience being there on Saturday and rushing the field afterward. The FW may have taken a spill jumping down from the stands…

Fleck was on Golic and Wingo this morning. The spotlight this run is putting on the program is going to do a ton for recruiting and turning a nice pop-up season or two into a potential period of sustained success.

Bateman, Johnson, and Winfield Jr. are absolute animals and I’m very impressed by Tanner Morgan’s ability to come in from the backup role and consistently perform. Dude just can’t be shaken.

Walleye Hungry

I just hope we don’t follow typical Minnesota sports fashion and lose to northwestern/Iowa in the next couple weeks. Those teams will be hungry for the upset in their home buildings.

Dan
    Southeast MN

No “gimme” games on the remaining schedule as I would imagine Iowa, Northwestern, and especially Wisconsin will throw everything they have at them. Especially with Iowa and Wisconsin, these will have some kids who grew up in neighboring states and likely recruited by the whole region, and they’ll want to win for their team.

The plus I see with this team is, for lack of better phrase, they aren’t used to winning like this. I imagine it’s a different story at LSU practice this week than with the Gophers. The Gophers are way overachieving and hopefully the kids are loving it and want to keep at it, whereas for some of the traditional programs winning is expected all the time, which could take away from the experience.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The culture of winning is sometimes learned. That’s why it’s often so hard to change culture.

Fleck has done an amazing job and the kids are believing and playing together as a TEAM

Did you guys see the segment on the Gophers during SNF halftime?? To be recognized on national TV during an NFL game!? Are you kidding me – so awesome!!

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Turnovers tipped the scale-hats off to all but esp. the CORNERBACKS!

Not to take anything away from the corners, but all of there turnovers were safetys

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Great Game. Great Heart. Great Coaching.

The team appears to be the real deal. Should be fun going forward.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

I’m sure PJ’s approach will be copied by other programs in the college ranks next year.

The real question is will this work in the NFL? My first thought is that it wouldn’t work due to the due to the ego’s and the money they make.

After considering the approach PJ takes where it will be 3-5 years before the methods pay off. So the real question is will an NFL owner commit to a rebuild that will take 3-5 years? Most of the owners wouldn’t commit to the lost revenue of a few bad years.

In order to get Cincy and Miami on track, the large contract buyout of PJ’s is affordable, his contract would be affordable as well as the other members of his staff. Overall payroll should be manageable. It could be a perfect match.

My 2 cents

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m sure PJ’s approach will be copied by other programs in the college ranks next year.

Serious question, what exactly is PJ’s approach?

Seems to me most people thought he was more of cheerleader than a head coach and he has now proved everyone wrong. He proved he truly is an excellent strategist and is good at running a coaching staff.

I don’t know, I’m just a guy trying to catch up to this rowboat because I mistakenly believed what everyone else was saying about him.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

The real question is will this work in the NFL? My first thought is that it wouldn’t work due to the due to the ego’s and the money they make.

After considering the approach PJ takes where it will be 3-5 years before the methods pay off. So the real question is will an NFL owner commit to a rebuild that will take 3-5 years? Most of the owners wouldn’t commit to the lost revenue of a few bad years.

In order to get Cincy and Miami on track, the large contract buyout of PJ’s is affordable, his contract would be affordable as well as the other members of his staff. Overall payroll should be manageable. It could be a perfect match.

My 2 cents

PJ is a college coach. While his approach is effective here, it would not work in the NFL. For an example, you can look at Lou Holtz’s experience in the NFL with the NY Jets. It did not even last a full season (he resigned with 1 game remaining).

Lou and PJ have pretty similar styles. It works well with 18-22 year olds. But falls flat with older NFL players. Think about how PJ sounded to you when he was first hired…

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I just hope we don’t follow typical Minnesota sports fashion and lose to Northwestern/Iowa in the next couple weeks. Those teams will be hungry for the upset in their home buildings.

This!!! This is what I can’t believe football fans believe. My Badger fans and who knows how many others in the country… I can only imagine how Fitz is getting roasted in NW circles!!! I’ve seen Ferentz get it in Iowa too.

Oh BTW, I think Iowa is a 3 point favorite for this, now upset opportunity…

PJ is getting his team ready for his next BIGGEST FOOTBALL GAME!!! IOWA, Period!!! Its Iowa season and he needs to be 1 – 0 in the Iowa season!!! And he will need to, too!!! Iowa may not have the best record, but they have a damn decent football team, especially defensively. They will be playing at home and they are good enough to beat the Gophers. These next two games could be the Gophs trap games before the Badger game. This one cause its immediately after the PSU game and then the overlooking of NW before the Badger game…

I hope we are able to take care of Nebraska, cause its the next opportunity as our coach calls it.

Row the Boat!!!

Mark

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just hope we don’t follow typical Minnesota sports fashion and lose to northwestern/Iowa in the next couple weeks. Those teams will be hungry for the upset in their home buildings.

Let’s not go all Typical Minnesota Sports Fan (TMSF) now. Remember, to the TMSF NOTHING is accomplished and NOBODY can enjoy anything unless we win it all. Run the table and win the cup or the season’s a bust, that’s what your TMSF thinks.

Bullschmidt.

First off, Iowa lost Sconni by a couple of points, so why set this up as some kind of epic fail if the Gophers don’t beat IA? Yes, Northwestern is a “should win” so that would be disappointing, but I don’t see any reason to go all TMSF if the Gophers don’t go at least 2-1 in this home stretch.

This has still be a tremendously entertaining season and all credit to the Gopher players and Fleck even if it ends with a couple of losses. Presenting that like some kind of “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” situation is just TMSF BS.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Let’s not go all Typical Minnesota Sports Fan (TMSF) now. Remember, to the TMSF NOTHING is accomplished and NOBODY can enjoy anything unless we win it all. Run the table and win the cup or the season’s a bust, that’s what your TMSF thinks.

Bullschmidt.

First off, Iowa lost Sconni by a couple of points, so why set this up as some kind of epic fail if the Gophers don’t beat IA? Yes, Northwestern is a “should win” so that would be disappointing, but I don’t see any reason to go all TMSF if the Gophers don’t go at least 2-1 in this home stretch.

This has still been a tremendously entertaining season and all credit to the Gopher players and Fleck even if it ends with a couple of losses. Presenting that like some kind of “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” situation is just TMSF BS.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 285 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.