Gopher football

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yeah. I know. It’s hard to enjoy an undefeated team.

I get it.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbenson wrote:</div>
    You ARE 4 of 6 games to an eligible bowl game!!!

Meineke Car Care Bowl perhaps. Most bowl games are pure junk and are only played as a money/marketing grab. Making a no name bowl as a 6-6 team is not really anything to be proud of. There should really only be a total of about 10 bowl games, not 40, but I digress.

So you have Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland over your next three games before your toughest last four games and you’re calling them a 6-6 team?!?!?!?!? You have Nebraksa at home, perhaps without their starting QB, they barely escaped Illinois with a win. Rutgers should be an easy win with the chaos there. I’m not sure MN isn’t a better team than Maryland is just yet. That gives you the chance to 8 – 0 before the heavies play in your schedule.

Then you have Penn St, Iowa, NW and WI… NW is struggling this year and is a potential win as well as are any home games outside at the U.

To have any bowl game is a reason for your team to practice another month, which is invaluable for them. Quit being a MN fan!!!

Mark

Dan
    Southeast MN

Watching the Gophers because they’re my team.

LSU and Florida both ranked in the top 10, that should be a good one.

USC and Notre Dame always seems to be good.

Penn State and Iowa also on tonight.

It’s October Saturday nights like this when I wonder why anyone would leave their house.

Nate S

long time follower, first time poster.

All I gotta say is ROW THE BOAT!!!! Not sure what to think of this squad and its competition thus far, but its been fun to watch.

sdtransplant
    western ne

being a Gopher fan living in Nebraska great game !!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbenson wrote:</div>
    You ARE 4 of 6 games to an eligible bowl game!!!

Meineke Car Care Bowl perhaps. Most bowl games are pure junk and are only played as a money/marketing grab. Making a no name bowl as a 6-6 team is not really anything to be proud of. There should really only be a total of about 10 bowl games, not 40, but I digress.

So you have Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland over your next three games before your toughest last four games and you’re calling them a 6-6 team?!?!?!?!? You have Nebraksa at home, perhaps without their starting QB, they barely escaped Illinois with a win. Rutgers should be an easy win with the chaos there. I’m not sure MN isn’t a better team than Maryland is just yet. That gives you the chance to 8 – 0 before the heavies play in your schedule.

Then you have Penn St, Iowa, NW and WI… NW is struggling this year and is a potential win as well as are any home games outside at the U.

To have any bowl game is a reason for your team to practice another month, which is invaluable for them. Quit being a MN fan!!!

Mark

So after yesterday Grim, da Gophs better be 8 – 0 after the next two or they didn’t do a very good job of watching Purdue mop up on Maryland!!! I’m thinking they may even give the other 4 a pretty good test as well!!! If you don’t jump on this bandwagon this year, you might miss something…

Row The Boat!!!

Mark

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

But, but, but, it’s the smoke and mirrors tour.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Watched the game at the bar with a buddy. Gophers handled the Cornhuskers quite well. Great game for the Gophers

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was at the game…..tough day to be a Husker fan. The big red were missing some key pieces on offense but the gophers thoroughly dominated all phases.

Time to start taking this gopher team seriously. With their running game they should be able to compete well against most teams.

Gonna have to put my husker gear away and get out the Gophers hoodie!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The big red were missing some key pieces on offense but the gophers thoroughly dominated all phases.

Another close game. A play/call or two going the other way could’ve resulted in them losing yet another game.

^^^sarcasm font…

Dan
    Southeast MN

I got some pretty strong ridicule from people who must be a lot smarter than me on page 1 of this thread when I suggested that the Gophers had a chance at winning the West this year.

All I said then, and I’ll I’m saying now for good measure, is that it is a possibility. If the Gophers beat the teams they really should beat they’ll finish 9-3. I don’t see them beating Penn State, Wisconsin, or Iowa. But if they somehow win 1 or 2 of those while the first-place team loses 1 or 2 that they should win, there’s a plausible scenario where the Gophers are very close to the top of the West division.

And for the record, I don’t at all think they’ll win it. But I think they do have a realistic chance and thus far it’s literally in their hands so it’ll be fun to watch.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I got some pretty strong ridicule from people who must be a lot smarter than me on page 1 of this thread when I suggested that the Gophers had a chance at winning the West this year.

I just went back and reread it. With exception of Matt, those guys including the OP have been absent from this conversation for quite some time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Great game, and great time to be a Gophers fan! Also, have to really commend PJ Fleck and his coaching staff, the offensive and defensive lines look SIGNIFICANTLY better than they did at the start of the season! Also, every year his teams have progressed significantly over the course of the year, which is the best reflection of the coaches imo.

CaptainMusky

Also, have to really commend PJ Fleck and his coaching staff, the offensive and defensive lines look SIGNIFICANTLY better than they did at the start of the season! Also, every year his teams have progressed significantly over the course of the year, which is the best reflection of the coaches imo.

This!! To start the year the O Line especially was not very good, but they have been playing really well the last 3 games.
    That was a thorough beat down of Nebraska. Yes, they were down a guy or two, but still that game was over essentially right after the first TD.
    PJ has these kids playing at a high level and there isnt a glaring weak spot that I have noticed.
    They have talent that can compete with most any team at the skilled positions.
    They should really destroy Rutgers, but hopefully they dont overlook them. That happened last year against Illinois. They will be tested though after this week’s game so it will really show how real this team is, but they are sure fun to watch.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Until the Gophers play a legitimate team I still think they are overrated but you have to give Fleck some credit on what he has done with the team. I think the game they have a shot at winning is against Iowa. Penn State and Wisconsin both look very good.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Until the Gophers play a legitimate team I still think they are overrated but you have to give Fleck some credit on what he has done with the team. I think the game they have a shot at winning is against Iowa. Penn State and Wisconsin both look very good.

Not too many undefeated teams out there. They’ve between the teams they were supposed to. I wasn’t sold on this team because their first 3 games could’ve gone either way. Since then they’ve played better each week.

Winning the west is still a long shot but if they win one of the three against Wisconsin, Iowa and Penn State that would make for a spectacular season.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Almost forgot about this thread. They just snuck by another cupcake team. A couple dozen calls the other way and they would’ve lost this one.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

And for anyone who bothered to watch the game may have witnessed 4 time cancer survivor and Gopher football player Casey O’Brien finally taking the field for the first time.

For the Fleck bashers?…he has brought forth some “human dignity”, beyond just the “game”.

I’m sure media outlets will be showing him in tears after this moment.

Attachments:
    1. P.J.-Fleck-and-Casey-OBrien-10.19.19.png

tim hurley

They are beating the teams they are supposed to beat so they are legit. Look at the Badgers loosing to Illinois-we could have lost to them too. Even unranked teams have great talent and they play to win especially at home. Also we are performing well on both sides of the ball-offense is getting yards running and throwing.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FWIW SDSU is #3 in the country and college game day will be there next weekend. Don’t forget all 7 teams the Gophs have beat were filled with scholarship athletes and highly paid coaches. Note that this is the first time for a lot of things at the U since the 60’s. Enjoy the ride!

lindyrig79

Fleck deserves a lot of credit. Changing the culture and getting kids to believe is half the battle.

Yes, Rutgers is a mess but that’s not our problem.

Oh – and the Gophers are ranked!! Row baby!!

CaptainMusky

As I watched that game it was clear the Gophers were not trying to put “anything on tape” for others to see, but they still managed to beat the spread.
    To those that say, they havent beaten a ranked team and are not going to give them credit for being unbeaten, well, Wisconsin was favored by 28.5 pts and managed to lose to Illinois who the Gophers just destroyed. Anything can happen on any given day.
    Its fun to watch these kids and the improvement over the course of the last 2 seasons.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s really unfortunate they can’t blow out a bad team.

Dan
    Southeast MN

8 cupcake wins.

Get back to me when they can hold Ohio State to 38 and score 7 hard-earned points against that OSU defense.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Jumping on the OSU bandwagon now? Looks like the badger bandwagon needs to fix a flat.

lindyrig79

52-10 over Maryland?!? Yeah I’d say they are rolling (or rowing)

Dan
    Southeast MN

With the Gophers ranked 17 and winning and Wisconsin ranked 13 and losing and at least one team in between (Texas) losing it’s very possible that MN will be ranked higher than WI tomorrow when the polls come out.

Meanwhile if the score holds up, #19 Michigan is going to significantly beat #8 Notre Dame, which I would imagine will have them jump both of the aforementioned teams

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If the gophers played Wisconsin or OSU it would be 52-10 and not in favor of Goldy. Let’s be real here, beat an OSU or Wisconsin and get back to me. It’s a great Cinderella story for those that are into fairytales.

ontario2016

If the gophers played Wisconsin or OSU it would be 52-10 and not in favor of Goldy. Let’s be real here, beat an OSU or Wisconsin and get back to me. It’s a great Cinderella story for those that are into fairytales.

Ha!! Let me just put this hear.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buckys5thquarter.com/platform/amp/2018/11/25/18110810/wisconsin-football-minnesota-badgers-seniors-reaction-tj-edwards-dcota-dixon

I understand not deserving of the comparison to OSU (most people here haven’t even raised that comparison) but Wisconsin? Common.

Wisconsin’s sole worthwhile win was against a Michigan team that came out flat footed. Now I guess, let’s talk about unquality losses…(hint Wiscy has more).

Minnesota is currently scheming well, trending upwards, and the players are buying in. Those factors make a very tough team to play against. The gophers are playing loose with house money. Penn state is in a bind. Not the other way around.

Jump aboard the wagon, the waters fine! toast

SKI-U-MAH

grin

Angler II

It’s like the gophers traded in paddles for a 300 g2 Evinrude…..it runs awesome, fuel efficient, quiet, fast…till it blows….

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 285 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.