Google Play Music is Going Away Soon

• Sharon
    SE Metro

Now that Google Play Music is gone, where do you guys go to buy and download individual songs? My list to purchase is growing again. I do like streaming services, but I also like to own the music files to copy to my devices and computers for easy listening. Thanks!

deertracker

Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Deftones, 10 years, Seether, Cold, Korn, Volbeat, Tool, A perfect circle ( same lead singer as Tool ) Bush, FFDP, Bob Seger, CCR, NIN, Slipknot, REO Speedwagon.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Chubs for having phenomenal music choices. waytogo
    DT

munchy
    NULL

Amazon Music. I tried YouTube music and they require the phone screen to be on in order to play music since there is a video along with it. And with the phone in a pocket that ain’t happening.

Amazon music has drastically broadened the music I hear as well. When I had Pandora I’d hear the same 50 songs constantly, I started thumbing the constant repeaters down because they just got annoying. Now I hear probably 200+ songs before I even hear a repeat. I’m finding music by my favorite artists and collaborations I’ve never even heard before and many aren’t on YouTube. It’s pretty awesome. Tons of free music as well.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I thought Amazon Music was just streaming? Can I buy songs to download from there?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run Spotify, has all the metal I can handle. Plus I can download it all to my computer or phone so I always have it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chubs1018 wrote:</div>
    Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Deftones, 10 years, Seether, Cold, Korn, Volbeat, Tool, A perfect circle ( same lead singer as Tool ) Bush, FFDP, Bob Seger, CCR, NIN, Slipknot, REO Speedwagon.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Chubs for having phenomenal music choices. waytogo
    DT

I agree. Let’s jam some time. I have a bunch of heavier stuff in my list as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Now that Google Play Music is gone, where do you guys go to buy and download individual songs? My list to purchase is growing again. I do like streaming services, but I also like to own the music files to copy to my devices and computers for easy listening. Thanks!

I also like purchasing music, so I have it ready to go regardless and it has added to many a fishing trip or night around the fire up north with no reception or radio available. I use iTunes since I have an iPhone, and I stream music thru Pandora and am slowly switching over to Spotify since I listen to a lot of Joe Rogan Podcasts. I’ll give another plug for my favorite artist right now, Paul Cauthen, and just came across Warren Zeiders Ride the Lightning which is a cool tune and will be checking out more of his stuff.

munchy
    NULL

I thought Amazon Music was just streaming? Can I buy songs to download from there?

Yup

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I tried YouTube music and they require the phone screen to be on in order to play music since there is a video along with it. And with the phone in a pocket that ain’t happening.

I use YouTube music and my screen DOES NOT need to be on.
    ???

Works good for me.

Sharon
    SE Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>

Yup

Sweet! I had no idea. Thanks!

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>
    I tried YouTube music and they require the phone screen to be on in order to play music since there is a video along with it. And with the phone in a pocket that ain’t happening.

I use YouTube music and my screen DOES NOT need to be on.
    ???

Works good for me.

Do you pay for it?

ThunderLund78

With a Spotify subscription, you can download to your phone and the songs are stored within the app – IE you can’t share/copy them or save them anywhere else, but you don’t need “reception” to listen to them, just battery power.

I haven’t bought a song in years but I have all my music with me – hundreds (maybe thousands) of songs in various playlists 24/7.

But if you have money to spend in your account than go nuts by all means! I know the artists appreciate it. They have to make all their money by touring now.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I know the artists appreciate it. They have to make all their money by touring now.

I look at it like one jukebox play $0.99 buys me a favorite song forever, or an album for $9.99, and the artist gets a little something too. A few here, a few there and I have a ton of music that can keep the music going all day in a boat or around the fire no reception needed. They make like a fraction of a fraction of a cent on each spin on the streaming services, so there’s that as well, and I don’t have another small recurring bill leeching off my checking account.

ThunderLund78

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>
    I know the artists appreciate it. They have to make all their money by touring now.

I look at it like one jukebox play $0.99 buys me a favorite song forever, or an album for $9.99, and the artist gets a little something too. A few here, a few there and I have a ton of music that can keep the music going all day in a boat or around the fire no reception needed. They make like a fraction of a fraction of a cent on each spin on the streaming services, so there’s that as well, and I don’t have another small recurring bill leeching off my checking account.

All great points. I pay what is essentially the cost of an album per month to stream, which is about the rate I bought CDs back in the day so it’s probably a wash. There is something to be said of ownership, though, like you say Big Werm. You can copy and store it on the cloud or other drives so you’ll always have it

Sharon
    SE Metro

I run Spotify, has all the metal I can handle. Plus I can download it all to my computer or phone so I always have it.

It looks like Spoitfy has a monthly fee. How much is it? Is there any extra cost to downloading the song files?

ThunderLund78

Spotify has several monthly options – for a single profile user, I think it’s like $10/month for unlimited ad-free streaming and you can download all you want to your device so you can listen without a connection in remote areas, where you don’t have service, etc. Keep in-mind, it’s an in-app download. You don’t “own” the song but your device will essentially store the song within the app using your devices memory. I have hundreds of downloaded songs, it doesn’t take up too much space.

Spotify also has options for multi-profile accounts for a few dollars more. Think Netflix – where you have one account and multiple profiles so two or more users can use the account at once and listen to their own stuff. I’m about to upgrade today, actually. Heading on a 10 day family road-trip in a couple weeks and there will be times where multiple profiles and headphones will be needed to keep the peace in the family truckster. jester

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have the premium membership to YouTube. No ads on YouTube videos and YouTube music.

When was the last time you tried? I find it hard to believe the service requires your phone screen to be on. You were using the actual YTmusic app and not just listening to music on YouTube, were you? I rarely play the video version of the songs and use it as a music service.

My wife and I both are very happy with YouTube premium. The auto mixes are pretty spot on. The only thing we have a problem with is we haven’t figured out how to share a mix to each other. You probably can. Took me forever to learn how to clear the current queue.

Took us a while though. Didn’t like it as much at first and missed Google Play Music.

munchy
    NULL

I have the premium membership to YouTube. No ads on YouTube videos and YouTube music.

When was the last time you tried? I find it hard to believe the service requires your phone screen to be on. You were using the actual YTmusic app and not just listening to music on YouTube, were you? I rarely play the video version of the songs and use it as a music service.

My wife and I both are very happy with YouTube premium. The auto mixes are pretty spot on. The only thing we have a problem with is we haven’t figured out how to share a mix to each other. You probably can. Took me forever to learn how to clear the current queue.

Took us a while though. Didn’t like it as much at first and missed Google Play Music.

About a month ago.

Just tried again and this is what pops up. So obviously the only way you can get background play is to pay.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210728-154853_YouTube-Music.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Huh, i did not know that. I think I had the old YouTube red subscription before YouTube music which I think is called premium.

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.