Google Play Music is Going Away Soon

• Sharon
    SE Metro

YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music as the new destination for music listening, starting the transition this October through the end of the year. I still have $$ in my Google Play account from a gift card that I’ve been using to buy music, and I need some suggestions on more music to buy! I enjoy a variety of music genres and since the digital age I generally buy one or two songs by a group rather than buying entire albums. I mostly like 90s alternative, rock, and metal. But I enjoy a good old country song two. I rarely listen to rap or R&B.

What are some of your favorites? Thanks!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Paul Cauthen, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers for new artists with old school country sounds. I also like Greta Van Fleet, new band sounds identical to Led Zeppelin.

AnotherFisherman

BigWerm, thank you for the Greta Van Fleet introduction! Will definitely be adding them to the list of artists to listen too.

Deuces

Not sure about you Sharon but I’ve been struggling with the transition. Google play radio had great mixes, youtube seems to be just the top hit mixes which frustrate me. Google dug fairly deep into albums which was fantastic. I have the subscription. Don’t want music videos, I want good music. The whole format is stupid.

Feel like an old man with this change honestly, give me back my Play!

And what does a person do for podcasts now? I don’t see any options for that in YT.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

90’s alternative. Veruca salt, letters to cleo, smashing pumpkins, morella’s forest, Mazzy star, nirvana, Beck, Garbage, etc.

Rock – Zep, Greta Van Fleet, Jethro Tull, Muse,

Metal – (not sure how heavy you like to go), Zao, after the burial, Tool, Deftones, Korn, A Perfect Circle, Nine inch Nails

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

MrBeads I got a email that said this about podcasts. Have not tried it myself as I don’t listen to many podcasts.

A new home for podcasts
    With Google Play Music going away, you won’t be able to listen to podcasts there anymore. You can transfer your subscriptions and episode progress to Google Podcasts, our dedicated podcast player available for free on Android, iOS, and the web. With Google Podcasts, you can sync playback across devices and discover new podcasts you’ll love.

Here is the link: https://podcasts.google.com/transfer
    Hope that helps

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I heard about this new WAP song that sounds interesting…

STP, smashing pumpkins, Nirvana, goo goo dolls (yes I went there), bush, offspring, Green Day, Weezer, soundgarden…and don’t forget about crash test dummies!

Coletrain27

wheeler walker jr, ray scott, jamey johnson, rebel son

Deuces

MrBeads I got a email that said this about podcasts. Have not tried it myself as I don’t listen to many podcasts.

Excellent, thank you

Buckeye1

Try Keith Whitley. Great older country music.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Check out a band called Primus if they have never hit your radar.

-J.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys! I’ve heard a few songs by Greta Van Fleet and didn’t know who the band was. They do sound like Zepplin. Same with A Perfect Circle – their song Judith really reminds me of Tool. Downloaded some of them! Muse is being added to my list too, I like them. Crash Test Dummies! I forgot all about them LOL. That takes me back.

Billy would really have liked Koe Wetzel. He’s got a great country voice. And Jamey Johnson sounds familiar. His song In Color sounds like something I would have heard in Billy’s truck.

There used to be a music TV show on in the 90s called The Hard Channel, and I feel like I heard a Primus song or two on there. Definitely an interesting sound!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Older country – Can’t go wrong with Waylon Jennings, Wille Nelson, Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash. As some else said Keith Whitley.

Others – Oak Ridge Boys, Travis Tritt, Reba, Barbara Mandrell

Rock – George Thorogood, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang

Sharon
    SE Metro

Not sure about you Sharon but I’ve been struggling with the transition. Google play radio had great mixes, youtube seems to be just the top hit mixes which frustrate me.

I’ve not looked into YouTube Music yet and I don’t think I will. I actually don’t usually listen to a lot of music via the Google Play Music app – I mostly used the service to buy songs. Once I have the download I save the files to my USB drive in my car and to files on my computers for listening via those devices. On my phone I mostly use Pandora but I do hate the ads that come up.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I use spotify at work it seems to work well. But I don’t search for songs, just use playlists.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

For me anything Eric Church does is gold. Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Brothers Osbourne, Tim Mcgraw, and of course did anyone say Hank Jr.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Won’t the play account money transfer or does youtube music not have purchasing on it?

I already switched and I agree with Mr.Beads. YTM seems to play the same songs when you do a radio station.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Are set on your criteria? So much out there that can rock you or sooth you to your mood or that makes you want to pull your hair out for release. Its hard to filter I know. The Current 89.3 is a good place to start in the morning. They play a lot of different genre. Though you have to do it as a speed dial thing but stay with it and will find something new you like with information about the bands you just heard. Be patient, the station will reward you with wealth of info and new music. Their format has changed as for music that I don’t like but they do go in installments to try to please all forms of music.

Something different listen to Richard Thompson’s Vincent black lightning. John Hiatt Have a Little Faith or John Prine Angel of Montgomery. Well i would say Tom Waites but his genre inventing may scare you 8). Leonard Cohen Hallelujah who wrote the song.
    Any thing Gram Parsons.
    Just something to think about. Keep your mind open to new music and search. My brother taught me that.

deertracker

Same with A Perfect Circle – their song Judith really reminds me of Tool.

They have the same singer if you didn’t know that. His name is Manard James Keenan.
    DT

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>

They have the same singer if you didn’t know that. His name is Manard James Keenan.
    DT

And also Puscifer if you’ve ever heard them. He’s a musical genius.
    DT

Sharon
    SE Metro

Won’t the play account money transfer or does youtube music not have purchasing on it?

I’m not 100% sure. You can buy other things with Google Play gift cards but I mostly would buy music. From what I understand Google Play will still exist, it’s just the music portion of the service that’s being transferred to YouTube Music. I’ve got about $20 left on there that I figured I’d just buy up some songs to download and then I’ll be done. I suppose I’ll have to look for another service with which to buy music from.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I’m a fan of system of a down. the lead singer serj tankian has some good stuff too.

Sharon
    SE Metro

DT

I did not know that! LOL well no wonder they sound similar hahaha!

deertracker

I’m a fan of system of a down. the lead singer serj tankian has some good stuff too.

Big fan of Serj as well.
    DT

chubs1018

Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Deftones, 10 years, Seether, Cold, Korn, Volbeat, Tool, A perfect circle ( same lead singer as Tool ) Bush, FFDP, Bob Seger, CCR, NIN, Slipknot, REO Speedwagon.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I suppose I’ll have to look for another service with which to buy music from.

Spotify premium is a flat fee of $10/month for all the music you could ever want. Its the best $10 I spend every month! Try their 2 month free trial for premium and I can guarantee you’ll wonder why you wasted so much time and money on any other music service.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I suppose I’ll have to look for another service with which to buy music from.

Spotify premium is a flat fee of $10/month for all the music you could ever want. Its the best $10 I spend every month! Try their 2 month free trial for premium and I can guarantee you’ll wonder why you wasted so much time and money on any other music service.

Thats all I listen to any more is Spotify premium. Its a great 10 bucks a month.

And for a perfect circle the first 2 albums are so awesome. I could turn them on in the garage and crank it to 100 with out ever touching the skip button.

Another great station is trampled by turtles. It opens up a ton of music I’ve never heard before
    Others, the white buffalo, whiskey meyers, cody jinks, hank iii, and then the rest of my stuff is heavy metal which I’m sure most here would frown upon

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It doesn’t appear that you can purchase or will be able to purchase music through YT music. The only plausible explanations are either it’s not profitable or the music labels are ending this agreement with Google. I say this because I am seeing a lot of complaints online, so you know it was popular.

I haven’t purchased music in a long time because with my monthly fee I could add music to my library or stream whatevet I want at any time.

Unless they do a better job with the radio stations and playing a better variety I may end my subscription.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.