Gin – Who Drinks it – Favorite Brand – Favorite Recipe

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

OK so we have discussed most other liquor on here, So why not discuss Gin. Once summer is here, I find myself drinking more Gin than most other liquor’s. like a lot of Gin drinkers I got my start with TNT’s. Like most I also started with the common Tanqueray. These days my daily brand is Either Boodles or Bombay Sapphire. If I’m feeling like something a little better I go with Tanqueray No 10. If I really want to step it up I go with Monkey 47. As far as Favorite drinks go, I drink a fair amount of simple Gin and Tonics. From time to time I will make a Gin Fizz, a Greyhound, or a Tom Collins. Probably the best Gin drink I’ve had is a Bramble. I only seem to drink those on special occasions. Like a lot of other Gin drinkers it took me a little time to learn to like it. The person who got me started drinking Gin told me I’d have to struggle through a few Gin & Tonics to learn to like them. He was correct. Now it is my #1 go to summer drink.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

As far as the mainstream ones I like Bombay but really have not experimented around much.
    Highly recommend gin + squirt (as in the soda) + a slice of lime.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Summer is G&T time. Sapphire is one of my faves, but I don’t find much point it using a “premium” gin in a G&T. New Amsterdam is what we use for G&Ts most of the time.

I have bought higher-end, small-batch stuff, but I don’t care for it straight, so I don’t generally buy pricey gins.

Ripjiggen

G&T go to are Roku for non juniper days and Sipsmith for days that I want more London style. Had a couple last night actually.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I’m pretty much exclusive to Gin and Tonic when drinking gin.

And pretty much stick to Hendricks or Vikre; I really like their spruce or Cedar.

fishdale

Summer is G&T time. Sapphire is one of my faves, but I don’t find much point it using a “premium” gin in a G&T. New Amsterdam is what we use for G&Ts most of the time.

I have bought higher-end, small-batch stuff, but I don’t care for it straight, so I don’t generally buy pricey gins.

Agree 100%. I only drink Gin and tonics and have done a lot of side by side testing of various brands and New amsterdam and sapphire are my gotos. Did just get a bottle of kirklands and tried it side by side with sapphire and not much diff imho.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Gin is just as bad as Rum. Sorry to see you leave IDO fishthumper. jester

I only had one gin drink that I liked and asked for another one. I don’t know what kind of gin it was. I do know it didn’t taste like pine needles.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Gin is just as bad as Rum.

Bwah ha. Those are pretty much the liquors I exclusively drink.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

A few weeks ago, HyVee had 1.75Ls of Beefeater for $16. I bought a few–darn good at that price point!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Gin is just as bad as Rum. Sorry to see you leave IDO fishthumper.

I’ve got thick skin. Go ahead and hammer away. I can take it !!! grin

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Gin is just as bad as Rum. Sorry to see you leave IDO fishthumper.

You big Bully. Always trying to chase members away. Better be careful. The world takes bullying rather series these days !!! jester

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you like g&t, you need try tonic syrup in your tonic instead of tonic soda. All you do is substitute the tonic soda with 1 oz of the tonic syrup and use club soda instead. Takes the g&t to a whole new level.

This is what I use.

Jack Rudy Classic Tonic Syrup 16 oz (2-pack) https://a.co/d/a4pxYh2

Riverrat

I think my favorite Gin recipe is two parts Old Crowe, two parts warmish RC Cola preferrably slightly flat, and 1 part well water. Best gin drink ever for summer.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

hendrix gin martini, ice some gin in a shaker, place a bottle of vermouth next to glass, pour gin in glass, put vermouth back on the shelf.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I dont drink much gin at home, but we were in Playa del Carmen for New Years week this year and had a “few” Bombay and tonics.
    What made them just incredible was they squeezed in a slice of lime and a large wedge of pink grapefruit. The grapefruit gave it a great refreshing tart taste when compared to the usual lime only.
    If I end up taking a bottle up for our Voyageurs camping week coming up, there will definitely be a couple grapefruits packed as well.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Gin is just as bad as Rum. Sorry to see you leave IDO fishthumper. jester

I only had one gin drink that I liked and asked for another one. I don’t know what kind of gin it was. I do know it didn’t taste like pine needles.

This is a common complaint with a lot of Gins like tanqueray. Try a cocktail with bombay, hendrix, or another upper shelf gin and you might be pleasantly surprised.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Vikre in Duluth makes some pretty good gin. Otherwise I always default to Sapphirep or Beefeater for cocktails.

A gin gimlet can be really tasty too. I don’t have a good recipe but I had an awesome one at Vikre distillery.

tim hurley

Love gin, any kind Gin & tonic, great summer drink, I can send you the recipe!
    Some really good small batch local stuff around that is worth trying-had some tasty stuff at the Foundry.

ThunderLund78

I’m 45 now, and when I was 17 my sister got married. The bartender at the Waconia Country Club somehow thought I was 21 or just did not care. So I ordered Tanqueray & Tonics all night – I didn’t even know what it was , I just liked the sophisticated sound of it. Well, the next morning, the golfers on the 18th green had a whole new, chunky hazard to put around…

I just remember being in the back seat of my Mom and Dad’s car moaning in agony on the way home late that night. After about the 3rd or 4th “pull over” request I remember my saying “I’m just so disappointed in you…” rotflol

After many tries, I’ve barely been able to look at a bottle of gin in nearly 30 years. And I’ve been known to tie one on from time-to-time. But with any other poison than that.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Beefeater gin is my go to for GNTs and what not.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

After many tries, I’ve barely been able to look at a bottle of gin in nearly 30 years. And I’ve been known to tie one on from time-to-time. But with any other poison than that.

Mine is Southern Comfort, and it was what did me in for my 18th B-day (I’m 61, Wisco was 18 back then). Just the smell of it would make me hurl right now…..
    I did more flaming shots of it that night than I’ll even know, but did make it for first hour of school (high school that was) somehow. Did lose half of my attempt at a moustache back then tho that night smile

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m alsmot exclusively a scotch and beer man. If I do have a cocktail, which is rare, I always use vodka. Having said that gin just has this air of sophistication about it it makes me want to like it so I can be cool. I’ve had it plenty but probably nothing more than tangaray. My neighbor drinks them from time to time. I think I’ll ask him to mix me up one tonight.

Gin and squirt does sound tasty but doesn’t sound as impressive as a G&T order or anything with the word sapphire in it

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

For you gin lovers do you ever drink it straight or always in a cocktail? I’m not much of a soda drinker hence why I don’t have cocktails very often

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m 45 now, and when I was 17 my sister got married. The bartender at the Waconia Country Club somehow thought I was 21 or just did care. So I ordered Tanqueray & Tonics all night – I didn’t even know what it was , I just liked the sophisticated sound of it. Well, the next morning, the golfers on the 18th green had a whole new, chunky hazard to put around…

I just remember being in the back seat of my Mom and Dad’s car moaning in agony on the way home late that night. After about the 3rd or 4th “pull over” request I remember my saying “I’m just so disappointed in you…” rotflol

I think most everyone who has drank has a story like this one. For me it was E & J Brandy when I was 16 or 18. No chunks on the 18th Green to worry about for me. Although there may have been a few of them to deal with on the shower floor. To this day the smell of Brandy still make me almost Hurl.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Gin and paint stripper,same thing.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

For you gin lovers do you ever drink it straight or always in a cocktail? I’m not much of a soda drinker hence why I don’t have cocktails very often

As Snoop would say, I’ve sipped on a few Gin and Juice!!
    Grapefruit mostly.

AnotherFisherman

For the Gin lovers, give Aquavit a try if you haven’t before! A Scandanavian Gin is how I think of it.

ThunderLund78

Gin and squirt does sound tasty but doesn’t sound as impressive as a G&T order or anything with the word sapphire in it

Maybe not “Gin & Squirt” but “Gin & Sour” sounds impressive and it’s pretty much the same thing. Ya know, if you need that psychological aesthetic to make it go down. rotflol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m a Hendricks guy
    The Belle, Botanist

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.