‘gills

• tim hurley

Have a family fish fry coming up and could use a few more gills, I know in dark lakes I have caught nice ones drifting mid depth basins with a jig and chunk of crawler, have always done that in August, anyone know if that pattern has set up yet? Other ideas?
    Thanks

Adam Steffes

Where I am you can find schools of them in traditional walleye spots, humps, break lines, generally in that 15-20 ft range and up off bottom fairly easy to see on side or down imaging…enough of them that you have to quickly pull up your lindy rig if you don’t want to mess with them

tim hurley

Thanks A.-Sounds like they have pulled out of spawning areas.

tim hurley

Think I might do a hair jig and half crawler-ideas?

tornadochaser

I was on vacation all last week. Can’t tell you how many nice gills I threw back while pulling bouncer/spinner/crawler or shad dancers & hornets along the outside weed edges in 17′-22′. Gills were easily identifiable around isolated clumps of weeds on DI on my bird. Marked a few schools and took my wife and kids out to vertical jig & bobber fish. Plain hook or small jig with 2″ of crawler or a panfish leech. Kept 20 for a fish fry last Monday, and cleaned another 10-12 throughout the week along with my walleyes. Between the boat and the kids fishing off the dock we went through 16 dozen crawlers in 9 days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Did you find them. They are thick all over right now they keep ruining my plastics while going for bass. Can’t get away from the dang sun fish.

tim hurley

I did get a bunch (thanks Mike) went to Prior used a lindy 20fow, fry is tonight they should be tasty, even have some walleye fillets that I sneak to the wife-refridgerator cukes, regular and Tai, cold beer, steamed baby potatoes, fresh tomato slices topped with basil and balsalmic-rhubarb bars for dessert.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I did get a bunch (thanks Mike)

No problem. I will be happy to go out with you again anytime I am free.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I did get a bunch (thanks Mike) went to Prior used a lindy 20fow, fry is tonight they should be tasty, even have some <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye fillets that I sneak to the wife-refridgerator cukes, regular and Tai, cold beer, steamed baby potatoes, fresh tomato slices topped with basil and balsalmic-rhubarb bars for dessert.

Isn’t this post supposed to be in the “What’s for dinner” thread? whistling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.