Giant vehicle mess. What do I do now?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

IDO, this is the Grouse. Over. We have a giant vehicle charlie foxtrot situation. Over.

The (very short) version. Waaaaaay back in April, my 2013 GMC Acadia (158k on the clock) started jerking when accelerating through 3rd gear. The situation rapidly got worse and then included shaking in 2nd gear.

Took it into the local independent shop that I have used for 20 years. Diagnosis: Bad tranny. Very common, apparently, the 6 speeds in these GMC/Chevy vehicles are known to be junk and rarely last longer than 150k. No new or rebuilt trans units are available anywhere nationwide.

The only option was to send trans out to a local shop for rebuild. Which I did to the tune of $6500. First rebuild attempt took 2.5 weeks and the result was that tranny died again 3 days after I got it back. Rebuild #2 took 3 weeks due to parts shortages. This time the rebuilt trans had issues from the first time we drove it. I kept driving it and issues got worse so it went back. Shop tried it and blew the tranny on their test drive. Ug! That was 2 weeks ago.

Shop called today. Trans shop attempted rebuild #3 and put it in yesterday. On the test drive, trans failed again. They say they simply are the victim of bad parts and parts are so hard to find that they can’t source parts they’d usually get. They have tried to search for a tranny nationwide and there are simply no rebuilt or new units available. Calls to dealers indicate that current wait times for this transmission are 4-6 months.

In fairness, I believe both my mechanic and the tranny shop are acting in good faith. They have rebuilt this thing 2 times at their cost with no result and they have offered to refund a more than fair amount of the 6500 I paid. But that still leaves me with a dead vehicle that can’t even move under its own power. My local mechanic has used this transmission builder for almost 30 years and never had anything like this happen before. The mechanic has contacted other transmission shops and they won’t touch it due to lack of available parts, they all say “get a reman or buy a GM new unit”, which of course would be a great idea if one were actually available.

What the hell does a guy do in this situation? 2013 GMC Acadia SLT, 158k miles, transmission totally shot, everything else in great shape, runs great, uses no oil.

Shout out to Sheldon who has given me great input and encouragement throughout this long mess.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Find a lower mileage (than yours) one on Carvana, buy it, have the trans’s swapped, tell them to come get thier POS within the 7 day return policy,,,,

HRG

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Grouse PM me your vin number and I will at least see if I can find you one. I also know a good trans rebuilder I can link you up with, he will work on it.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’d bet there is transmissions available. As others have offered, give me then vin and I’ll gladly do some looking for you.
    I’d be skeptical letting them try a 4th time. Something doesn’t sit well with me on that. If parts are to blame, why would they continue using bad parts? I’d rather not put one together than to put it together with inferior parts and have to put my name on it. Especially after being burned by said bad parts twice already.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Your transmission is 6T75E

They are readily available on ebay to the tune of about $2300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173793831478?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=173793831478&targetid=4580153136941818&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=437225723&mkgroupid=1224856224320864&rlsatarget=pla-4580153136941818&abcId=9300907&merchantid=51291&msclkid=b5fba33e69f311080e61c19c3c585197

Then sell that acadia and don’t ever buy a mid-size GM SUV again, because they are all garbage (acadia, equinox, whatever else they sell now that is in that segment).

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Then sell that acadia and don’t ever buy a mid-size GM SUV again, because they are all garbage (acadia, equinox, whatever else they sell now that is in that segment).

Or any 1/2 ton Silverado’s either. In fact, just don’t ever buy anything from GM ever again! What a garbage company!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Quick Google search and I’ve found 3 wrecked acadias being parted out. Tranny for sale.
    But I remember you claiming to pull a dual axel trailer and skid behind this thing, maybe just maybe don’t do that 🤔. Gm has been putting out bad transmissions for a while now. Seems to be pretty standard in there family suvs

mrpike1973

Grouse I really wish I had advice or something good to tell you but that is what I went through with the Traverse as well. I wish you the very best and hope you can make a lemon into lemonade. frown

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would do whatever Grubson says. He da man as far as I’m concerned. Tranny’s are a pain. Good luck to ya.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

My co-worker had a 2010 Acadia 100k. Rebuilt tranny twice within 2 years. She didn’t want a third rebuild so just sold it as-is. These are junk imo. Just sell it as-is and find another vehicle.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Well if it could at least drive it a little, you could side swipe a tree… I’d look for a used one. There’s a salvage yard local to me. They have tons of parts from tons of vehicles. If you can find out what it is, I bet the IDO community could find you one so you can at least sell the vehicle!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate all the advice guys.

The problem with a junkyard tranny in this situation is these acadias take forever to swap the tranny. I think book on it is 10 to 12 hours.

So if I buy a junkyard unit and it turns out to be bad (which seems like a real possibility with these pieces of junk) I’m out at least $1,200 in labor plus I still have a bad tranny.

If somebody could rebuild these things successfully to me that’s the only value for money.

It’s just such a freaking mess. Looks like I’m going to be most of the damn summer without my towing vehicle.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Definitely don’t put a junkyard transmission in it. As you know that’s a big gamble paying 12+hours in labor.
    If you want to keep it, I would suggest getting a hold of Proven Force or a shop that installs their certified transmissions. That’s all I’d use in that vehicle. They offer 3yr 100k parts and labor warranty, and that’s what you need if you’re buying one of those.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Can’t say I ever viewed a Arcadia as a tow vehicle unless it was a 14′ boat or lawn mower.

Crack a beer, put your feet up. I will all work it’s self out.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I would do whatever Grubson says. He da man as far as I’m concerned. Tranny’s are a pain. Good luck to ya.

Thanks for your kind words Dutch.
    Im assuming that means your heater is working good in the old Cummins. toast

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KPE wrote:</div>

Or any 1/2 ton Silverado’s either. In fact, just don’t ever buy anything from GM ever again! What a garbage company!

Coming from a guy who owns 2 older GM trucks, this is unfortunately exactly correct. Their newer modelds leave a lot to be desired.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Thanks for your kind words Dutch.
    Im assuming that means your heater is working good in the old Cummins. toast

These old bones have been warm & toasty thanks to you. toast

You have to sandbag the cabin?

Jason

Grouse you can always just send it into a tree or see if it floats and put that baby to bed once and for all.

Deuces

Do the salvaged trannies come with vin #s of vehicles they were attached to?

If so I’d be doing my research and gamble with a used. Time is money afaic, get er done then trade er in if you’re not wanting to stick with it. Internet stories will make you believe the sky is falling with anything.

Used trade in prices are at all time high. Have you spoken with a dealer on what they may offer to give you as is? Lowball from them may be higher than you think since they’ll bend you over on a new one which you very well may end up getting eventually down the road, it shortens the timeline but also the headaches

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Hope this mess gets sorted out soon for you grouse. When it does and you are ready to ditch the trash come over to the Toyota community. Posts like these are exactly why those of us who own Toyotas own Toyotas. I think you and the Mrs would look great in a 4runner. Wish I could offer more than that advice to help you. Good luck

Angler II

Quick Google search and I’ve found 3 wrecked acadias being parted out. Tranny for sale.
    But I remember you claiming to pull a dual axel trailer and skid behind this thing, maybe just maybe don’t do that 🤔. Gm has been putting out bad transmissions for a while now. Seems to be pretty standard in there family suvs

I thought the same thing. Guy always makes fun of everyone for going overkill buying trucks designed to tow things until his vehicle pukes and he can’t get parts…

I do feel bad for him though. Live and learn.

matt

I was told by friend that works on transmissions to never buy a chevy 6speed.As a joke there are times I call him and ask what he is up to?Rebuilding 6speed chevys?His words- they are the biggest p.o.s. and he is so sick of fixing them its neverending.His take on them makes me think an 18speed bike from walmart has better shift components.

stevenoak

For years I drove GM trucks and cars. And repaired cars for a living for about 45 years. My own vehicles and we always had some around we repaired and sold. We used Jasper rebuilt transmissions and motors for years. Can’t begin to guess how many we used. With one bad one. They paid parts and labor to replace it. They used to be easy to price. A GM 350 was $350 and a 600 was $600. Been out for about 10 years. Not sure what they offer now. The problem. The overloaded technology on cars today. One part can out value the vehicle. Other thing with trannys. Rebuild changes a set number or parts. I have seen times “hard Parts” or the actual housing being a problem. Now that I’m retired, our program is a 2020 F150 with the longest extended warranty I could buy, and a Honda.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hope this mess gets sorted out soon for you grouse. When it does and you are ready to ditch the trash come over to the Toyota community. Posts like these are exactly why those of us who own Toyotas own Toyotas. I think you and the Mrs would look great in a 4runner. Wish I could offer more than that advice to help you. Good luck

They all have there issues. That Era yotas like to deteriorate starting at the frame. Vehicle would look nice but was notorious for frame rot. But I do get a good chuckle out of the superior Toyota gang.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

They all have there issues. That Era yotas like to deteriorate starting at the frame. Vehicle would look nice but was notorious for frame rot. But I do get a good chuckle out of the superior Toyota gang

Meh. We shall see. I know tundras had frame rot issues on their gen 1s. But that was a long time ago. Seen plenty of rusted out dodge trucks in my day too. My truck only has 15k miles so obviously time will tell on it.

My appreciation for toyota comes from my experience. In my 26 years of driving I’ve owned over 40 vehicles. I’ve owned exactly 4 toyotas which I drove for 10 years with literally nothing needing repairing other than tires, brakes and 1 starter. The other 36+ mostly domestic vehicles? Well let’s just say they tended to spend some time in the shop. Toyota has a reputation for dependability. Based on my experiences they’ve earned it.

Currently 3 posts about blown up chevys on the front page…

Deuces

There has been some posts in the distant past about those yota frames and it was quite a while ago, and from what I’ve mostly heard the yota dealers did quite a bit to make up for the issues.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…the yota dealers did quite a bit to make up for the issues.

I had an ’01 that was recalled for that issue in ’13. They inspected the frame, cleaned up any rust, and re-undercoated the entire thing.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Agreed. Almost 200K miles on my 2010 and not a single engine issue, period. Feel like I make money every time I get in. Now that I’ve said that, Im gonna make sure I got Allstate on speed dial

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.