Getting the youngins started

• Iowaboy1

Thanks to my niece I have a 7 year old great nephew, and I couldnt be more proud!!
    I had no idea until recently he had any interest in hunting or fishing, sadly I havent been able to spend much time around him but that will change very soon.
    He is in great hands as my niece even though she grew up a city kid has the blood of good Kentucky, Irish, Cherokee, and English stock running through her veins and learned to shoot with accuracy along the way.
    The other day I get a pic of Sulli on his first target shoot up at our old homestead!! Dang!! I so wish I could of been there !!
    He blasted an old soda can and the shot was clean enough it didnt make it very far and was easy to find lol.

He was using what appears to be an old pump 22, what a great rifle for a youngster!!
    Yes, he was taught by mom and dad how to handle it safely, and that when you kill something it is dead, that is forever and that is a mighty long time.
    Knowing my niece and her hubby Sulli will be shooting squirrels and rabbits next season and I hope to be a part of it!!
    We are supposed to get together soon and share many of my moms canning recipes and my fathers lessons of land stewardship as well as animal husbandry, again, I cant wait!!

My folks if alive today would be very proud of Sulli, my mom and dad both were crack shots, they had to be growing up during the great depression and every shot counted as it meant the difference in whether you ate that night or not.
    If you will believe me or not, I witnessed my mother take the head off of a crow at a hundred yards freehand with an old single shot bolt action 22 short rifle, we didnt eat the thing, she shot it because it was eating the chickens corn, after seeing that I did my best to not pizz ma off!!

On this New Years eve, I raise a toast to my father and mother, the way I was raised, to my family here on IDO, the generations of our families to come, and to our traditions, our way of life, may they all continue and prosper forever!!

Attachments:
    1. IMG959541.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Simply AWESOME!!! Kids are sponges. Can fill them full of knowledge they can use all their life of fill them with …. waytogo

Timmy

My great uncle – who was like a grandfather to me, told me when he was a kid (depression era) he was the shooter since he had he best hand/eye coordination. At 12 yrs old, he would be, handed (3) ,22 bullets. His brothers would drive the model A(with a headlight rewired, so one could hold it like a spotlight…….) and if they came home with less deer than the number of bullets he shot, he would get a whipping.

A kid should be able to learn to shoot things and respect what he/she shot… it’s only right!

hillhiker
    SE MN

That’s great! When me and my brother were kids my dad would set out golf balls all over the woods, and we would sit on the deck “practice hunting” with the 22. After showing him we could handle the gun safely, and shoot well, eventually we got the green light to start hunting the neighborhood squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional grouse. Great memories for sure!

Kudos to all the parents keeping the tradition alive!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.