Getting my first boat…

• Aboxy17

So for about a year now I have had a 9 ft inflatable pontoon. Used it all last summer and it was great. Put a carpet casting deck, trolling motor, fishing finder the whole get up and it was pretty good. The only problem is I am limited to the calm days and this spring I have been sidelined for most of the crappie fishing just because of how windy it has been and it does not handle it well at all in wind. I am looking at selling that and buying a 12 ft or 14 foot. Deciding to buy a semi v or a Jon boat.

I fish the st Croix a lot in the summer but also am in the White Bear Lake area so I fish Chisago lakes, and Bald eagle a lot and they are decent-sized lakes and can get pretty windy. I would put a casting deck on so I am wondering how a 12 ft Jon boat handles in a chop and what stability is like. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go 14 ft if you can. My 12 would get sketchy fast. Especially filled with decoys and 2 guys. My 14 was much more stable.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a 12 foot aluminum Jon boat that I primarily use for duck hunting or floating a small river for smallmouth. I would be very hesitant to use it on a sizable lake. The issue is the weight capacity. Once I get 2 adults, a dog, and a bag of decoys in there, I’m maxed out. I’d go bigger if you can like Bearcat indicated. Jon boats also kinda get blown around in the chop too because of the square front.

Aboxy17

There is a very good deal on a used 12 ft jon right now I have been eying. I would be mostly fishing by myself and weigh only 135. The weight limit says 385 but the battery outboard would add plenty of weight. Wondering if a 12-foot semi v is more stable and takes the chop better?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I don’t think a 12 foot anything would be a good choice.I would be looking for something 14ft and the wider the better for stability reasons.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

facebook is full of 14’vhull fishing boats under $2000

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In the metro area you need to worry about wakes more than wind. I’d echo the advice above. Go with a a 14 V-Hull. Deep (long shaft) if you can find one.

12 footers are just too small for metro lakes. Too much can go wrong.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.